My wife and I stayed at UHG on our honeymoon in January 2013 for 4 days, 3 nights. It has a nice secluded feel that gives you the chance to relax and enjoy the beauty of Bali. It's about 20-30 min outside of the main part of Ubud (Monkey Forest Road). This is pretty much the case with all the larger "resort" type of properties. I would definitely stay here again as the heavily trafficked center of Ubud seems to run counter to the allure of Bali.
The property is roughly divided into 3 "tiers". The top tier is the reception, the second one is rooms / restaurants, and the bottom one is more rooms and the spa. The tiers are connected by two separate funiculars (inclines for Western folks...). The top funicular was being repaired the first two days of our stay. If anyone has trouble with steps, I would recommend verifying that they are in working order ahead of time and / or booking a room closer to the reception area.
Booking - check if there are any specials on LuxuryLink.com. There are a fair amount of terms and conditions you will need to be careful of, but we saved 25%+ on our booking vs. what the resort itself was offering.
Getting there - arrange transit from the airport via the resort. It's a bit of a zoo when you land. Bali is in the process of building a second separate airport to separate domestic vs. international. It takes close to 2 hours to get to Ubud (more or less average for the larger resorts in this area from what I could tell).
Getting around - definitely hire a driver from the hotel. My wife and I lucked out with Rio Komang (aka "Rio"). He was soft-spoken, entertaining, and made our trip a true joy. As a broad generalization, you always have to be careful with hired drivers in SE Asia. A number of times you will end up at tourist-trap shops that pay the driver a commission for bringing you there. Rio was the exact opposite of this. We freely asked his advice and he took us to a number of great places for food, souvenirs, and attractions. If you stay at UHG I would definitely recommend requesting his services for the length of your stay. My memory was that the service cost < $85 USD per day.
Activities - we had a spa day included in our package. Great Balinese massage. We also scheduled a private yoga class for ~$90 USD for 2 people for 1 hour. My wife is much more of a yoga aficionado than myself and gave it a thumbs up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hanging Gardens of Bali is a luxurious destination in the heart of the jungle. It is situated near Payangan, a village North of Ubud, whilst the hotel rests in the centre of the magical island of Gods. The enchanting five star luxury resort has 44 private suites and individual villas, each enhanced by its own granite infinity pool, rippling into the jungle below. Each villa is designed with traditional Alang Alang thatched roofs in complete harmony with nature. In 2014, TripAdvisor and Conde Nast Traveller named our Twin-Tiered Cascading Pool as the World's Best Pool and number one honeymoon destination in Bali by Conde Nast Traveller. In 2015 Hanging Gardens of Bali has been awarded: World Luxury Hotels Awards, Seven Star Global Luxury Awards and World Travel Awards as well as other prestigious recognitions, such as the World Luxury Spa Awards and the World Luxury Restaurant Awards. The renowned Garden Restaurant serves innovative Indonesian dishes with Asian flare and Mediterranean delicacies flavoured with the local herbs and spices grown on the land and freshly-caught fish from the Jimbaran Bay. The truly luxurious Spa Collection combines natural, local ingredients and ancient techniques to create beauty therapies and treatments that soothe the mind, rejuvenate the body and energize the soul. Complimentary shuttles to Ubud center are scheduled daily for guests. The airport is around 90 minutes away by road depending on traffic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hanging Gardens of Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ubud Hanging Gardens By Orient-Express Hotel Payangan
- Hanging Gardens Ubud
- Hanging Gardens Hotel Ubud
- Hanging Gardens Of Bali Payangan