“Great place to stay about 20-30 min outside of Ubud, 2 hours from DPS airport”

Hanging Gardens of Bali
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at UHG on our honeymoon in January 2013 for 4 days, 3 nights. It has a nice secluded feel that gives you the chance to relax and enjoy the beauty of Bali. It's about 20-30 min outside of the main part of Ubud (Monkey Forest Road). This is pretty much the case with all the larger "resort" type of properties. I would definitely stay here again as the heavily trafficked center of Ubud seems to run counter to the allure of Bali.

The property is roughly divided into 3 "tiers". The top tier is the reception, the second one is rooms / restaurants, and the bottom one is more rooms and the spa. The tiers are connected by two separate funiculars (inclines for Western folks...). The top funicular was being repaired the first two days of our stay. If anyone has trouble with steps, I would recommend verifying that they are in working order ahead of time and / or booking a room closer to the reception area.

Booking - check if there are any specials on LuxuryLink.com. There are a fair amount of terms and conditions you will need to be careful of, but we saved 25%+ on our booking vs. what the resort itself was offering.

Getting there - arrange transit from the airport via the resort. It's a bit of a zoo when you land. Bali is in the process of building a second separate airport to separate domestic vs. international. It takes close to 2 hours to get to Ubud (more or less average for the larger resorts in this area from what I could tell).

Getting around - definitely hire a driver from the hotel. My wife and I lucked out with Rio Komang (aka "Rio"). He was soft-spoken, entertaining, and made our trip a true joy. As a broad generalization, you always have to be careful with hired drivers in SE Asia. A number of times you will end up at tourist-trap shops that pay the driver a commission for bringing you there. Rio was the exact opposite of this. We freely asked his advice and he took us to a number of great places for food, souvenirs, and attractions. If you stay at UHG I would definitely recommend requesting his services for the length of your stay. My memory was that the service cost < $85 USD per day.

Activities - we had a spa day included in our package. Great Balinese massage. We also scheduled a private yoga class for ~$90 USD for 2 people for 1 hour. My wife is much more of a yoga aficionado than myself and gave it a thumbs up.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with steps, I'd recommend staying as close to the reception area as possible...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Phatonycmu

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ubud Hanging Gardens during our honeymoon. The property is breathtaking, the food (although a bit pricey) is delicious, and the staff is warm and friendly. We loved that it was secluded yet easily accessible to Ubud via the hotel's shuttle that runs frequently. A private yoga class in the outdoors was a highlight of our stay, as was seeing monkeys outside of our villa. The pools -- both the main one and the one in our villa -- were gorgeous, but cold (maybe due to the time of year). The only other complaint we had was that we felt, at times, as though the staff was pushing certain activities or purchases, which we didn't like too much. But overall, a wonderful experience, a perfect honeymoon destination, somewhere we'd certainly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank agw_519
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is excellent if you want something different from the norm!
Its set in a lovely valley and allows you to experience living with nature.

The staff are really friendly and will accommodate all your needs. The rooms are spacious and well equipped. The best thing about the rooms is totally privacy. We were not over looked by anyone else's room nor could we see anyone else.

The hotel states it is located in Ubud, but its not. There is a shuttle service that takes you into town but this is only during the day. If you want to eat out in Ubud, you need to take a private taxi. If you decided to stay and eat at the hotel, you are in for a treat - however its not cheap compared to the rest of Ubud.

If you do not like bugs - this place is not for you. But if you're ok with them, then you will love this place. We spent 3 nights here, I think for us, 3 days and 2 nights would have been enough, we're beach people. That said, this place provided the perfect opportunity to relax and unwind.

If you ever wanted a hotel which is hidden away and you just want to be isolated in peace - this is the place.

The only fault I had with this place was a gecko in our roof every night making noises.

Room Tip: Get a room in the middle level - not by reception nor by the spa. And try and request a room at the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neelp
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I admit I was one of those who read the poor reviews and had reservations but from the moment I stepped into the reception area, it was absolutely fantastic. I think most are misinformed by the name as it is not really near Ubud but my partner and I decided to come here at the end of our Bali stay for a night of relaxation. I loved how it was in a valley, near the river with a temple across. Chanting could be heard from the temple but it added to the Balinese cultural charm.

We had a room on the lower rows with the river view but we enjoyed the denser jungle foliage and it made our villa feel that much more private. The private pool was perfect. We went on an overcast day and the main pool's temperature was a bit cold but the water temperature for the pool in our villa was perfect, even late into the evening. The staff was polite and friendly and it was definitely a five-star service. I can not commend them enough for their level of service and helpfulness.

We stayed in the hotel for dinner. While a bit pricey, it was our last night in Bali and the terrace view looking across to the lighted temple was romantic. The best part was the breakfast buffet. I would recommend waking up early for the breakfast buffet and relax and enjoy the food. It was the best breakfast buffet I've ever had at any five-star hotels/resorts.

Overall, it was one of the best stays in all my travels.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Close to perfection... the venue, the view, the food, room, service is just great. I'm so in love with this place... it really the kind of place that worth your cash every bit. Its not too far fron the market place and the famous babi guling bu oka (but you will still need a car).

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Everything about our stay at Ubud Hanging Gardens was perfect. The 2-bedroom villa hung off the mountain and the view was spectacular. Floating in our infinity pool and looking out at the jungle was amazing. The food was delicious and the staff was warm and welcoming. On Christmas Eve, the local children sang and danced during dinner - so charming! We had a wonderful time in this tropical paradise.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan R
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hôtel is incredible. Location is perfect very original with this special lift which brings you to your room. The private pool is really good and you feel like the master of the world inthe morning looking at the superb view! Peoples are so competent and friendly including the french manager. Food is gorgeous especially the breakfast buffet!
A real recommendation!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luwak75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
The Kayon Resort
The Kayon Resort
#3 of 199 in Ubud
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hanging Gardens of Bali? Share your experiences!