“Truly a wonderful Hotel”
Review of Alila Ubud

Alila Ubud
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed here on the first part of Honeymoon for 5 days, I am glad we did as after long flights it was well worth the serenity and chance to explore more of the cultural side of Bali at a more relaxed pace. All the good/excellent comments are equally comparable with what we would say about the hotel. We stayed in the Superior room which gave us an outdoor bath and shower. We loved this. The quality of the service definitely stands out, the staff are immaculately dressed and genuinely are happy to help and/or cater to your needs. The spa is wonderful and whilst you do get a free Balinese massage, we were more than happy to return another day and have a wonderful hot stone massage and reflexology - talk about relaxing in such a beautiful setting! The a la carte breakfasts are truly superb and whilst the restaurant meals are expensive, they really are delicious. Pool is peaceful and afternoon complimentary snacks a surprise treat. All in all a little slice of paradise whilst you watch the monkeys in the trees. I really do recommend you either go out on the complimentary bikes or walk the path the hotel suggests, so that you get to see the local rural area. The complimentary bus into Ubud is useful and as it's so easy and cheap to get a taxi back (around 70,000 INR), I would recommend eating out as there are some great restaurants in Ubud Village that seem like standard places until they take you out to the back where they open up and overlook little rice fields. Monkey Forest is also a must! All in all Ubud and Alila is truly a great place to stay. Ps. Even though we applied plenty of deet, there really wasn't many mosquitos around!

Room Tip: Stay longer than 3 days to get the best chance to see more of the local area at a relaxed pace
3  Thank Lynne C

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Arrived here from Seminyak near the beginning of a few weeks in Indonesia. At this point I was traveling with my mom and we stayed here for 2 nights as part of the 3 faces of Bali package through Alila. This was by far my favorite hotel out of the other two Alila's we stayed at (Villa Idanna and Manggis). The food was delicious at each Alila but I found it to be especially good here. The staff was so nice, friendly and helpful. We had a mishap with the A/C leaking the first night but this got taken care of. The pool is absolutely gorgeous! However, the monkeys are really cheeky and try and take food from guests during tea time. The hotel is almost so nice that you don't want to leave it but Ubud has so much to offer (accessible by shuttle), I wish that my mom and I made a little more effort and spent more time exploring there. Biking through the rice patties is also nice. Spa was amazing! Alila hotels were all around much nicer than other chains/boutique hotels we stayed at through Bali.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Farron1
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Alila Ubud on the 2nd stop of our Honeymoon, arriving from 3 days in Hong Kong we were here for 2 days and 3 nights.

We arrived quite late but were still greeted with pleasant smiles and a welcome drink. We were in one of their standard rooms which upon first impressions was still pretty marvellous. And we had a great view of the sunset. Having only been in the room a few minutes we noticed lots of Ants near / on the pillows and on the ledge behind the bed...we made a quick call to reception and someone was round to spray them, we were not overly fussed by the ants, we have slept outside in the jungle before (travelling); however they offered to upgrade us to a room with a balcony, chairs outside, a lovely big bath and shower outside too...we were blown away. Service was second to none. We got changed and headed to the restaurant for some food. It is very overpriced at £39 for a bottle of red wine...but the food tasted amazing...I had the duck with duck neck sausage. we were pleased. I unfortunately woke up at 2am with horrific stomach pains, sickness and diarrhea. I had packed some diorylyte and took this but it didn't really help, I was then laid up for the next 5 days on and off unable to eat, drink or enjoy the wonderful facilities this hotel and others had to offer. Who knows what caused my sickness. The spicy sauce that came with my food, a parasite, food from the day before!? it could have been from anything. The hotel were excellent, offered me advice on what to avoid food wise, gave me 2 free coconuts as the juice is apparently good for you, they couldn't have done enough really. Because I was ill I didn't get to use the amazing looking pool, and the one day I kind of felt up to it they had a wedding on which meant all guests had to vacate the pool area by 3pm which was quite disappointing. We took 2 of their bikes for a ride on a suggested route and this was good. The fresh air was great. Ubud village is also good, I couldn't again eat or drink but my husband did. I really am gutted I didn't get to appreciate this place as I could have done. We'd have loved to go rafting, see the volcano, there were all sorted we missed out on. But it was nice to walk down the Main Street it reminded us of Cambodia. On our last day we received a phone call to our room asking us if we wanted to spend our last night with a free upgrade to one of their private villas..we agreed thinking it would be one on the same resort, but it was actually in Alila Ulawatu...oh my god it was absolutely incredible. I will review this separately but despite being ill and not able to do much we would defo like to give Alila Ubud another go. The staff were excellent. Sang Man was very nice, also a lady serving us a couple
Of times I didn't get her name but I think she was pregnant; she was very nice also.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank KirstyLH
Reviewed August 7, 2014

This hotel offered everything we could possibly wish for. Clean, beautiful food, fantastic staff, stunning views and a manager who would bend over backwards to make sure our needs were catered for. We wanted to hire a moped to see the local villages and he ensured we had one delivered to the hotel without delay. The pool was so relaxing and the staff spoke excellent english too. I wish we had stayed longer as two nights was definately not enough. Thank you Alila for a marvelous holiday.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel for four nights at the beginning of July. The setting is truly magical. It is however, the quality of the service that stands out. Every single member of staff that we encountered could not do enough for us. We would like to say a particular thank you to Janine Kreuels, the F & B Manager, who was exceptional.

We had planned to eat in Ubud town each evening, but the quality of the food was so good that we ended up eating dinner at the hotel three nights out of four. That said, it was the truly fabulous breakfasts that were my favourite meal of the day; such a variety to choose from and everything was so fresh. The honeydew melon and vanilla jam was so good. Thank you Janine for the pot you gave me. It arrived in London in one piece but it just doesn’t taste the same without fresh, warm bread or the beautiful views. My favourite was however the condensed milk ice cream, which was a little piece of heaven.

The hotel is a little way outside of town, which is perfect if you want some peace and quiet. Taxis to the town are well priced if you want a night out and Ubud town is good fun. The hotel setting is breathtakingly beautiful; I’m not sure it’s possible to ever tire of the views of the jungle.

I’d also recommend the hotel spa, where we had a wonderful facial. A big thank you to Made for looking after us.

We had a deluxe room during our stay. This was fine, though the air conditioning failed one night (this was rectified immediately the following morning) and we could have done with a little more wardrobe space (I fully recognise that I’m being very picky here…).

This really is a wonderful place to stay.

We also had a fabulous morning white water rafting and would massively recommend using ‘Sobek’. Our skipper, Carlos, was immense fun and we were looked after so well.

2  Thank mandyb64
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This is an incredible hotel. We stayed in the valley room and words can not describe how it felt waking up and experieincing the view we saw each morning. The staff here are excellent, in particular the mananger Alisdair and also janine who you will meet at the restaurant. This is a peaceful hotel, perfect for those who select this for their honeymoon like we did.

Nikhil and Nimisha Patel.

Room Tip: Valley room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikhil P
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was our first port of call on our honeymoon in Bali. We were expecting a nice hotel, but this place blew us away! The complex is just so peaceful, and the pool is incredible. We particularly enjoyed the complimentary afternoon tea at 4pm every day, with teas and coffees, and delicious homemade Balinese treats. The macaque monkeys play in the trees next to the pool and never bother the guests. The restaurant is great (if a tad pricey) and there's a cheaper option by eating down in the poolside area. Only small problem we had was due to us being overzealous with the shower and using all our hot water! Tip is to turn on the cold tap to set the pressure and then tentatively use the hot to get the right temperature - there really is plenty so it's not an issue if you use the shower correctly.

This place is paradise - highly recommended and planning on going back one day in the not to distant future

Room Tip: We booked the cheapest room type and it was absolutely wonderful - amazing view of the forest
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CGW1981
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Alila Seminyak
#40 of 199 in Ubud
Hanging Gardens of Bali
Hanging Gardens of Bali
#6 of 10 in Payangan

Been to Alila Ubud? Share your experiences!