“Excellent, beautiful and such a friendly staff!!!”
Review of Alila Ubud

Alila Ubud
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed July 24, 2014

My Husband and me were there for 3 Days for a part of our Honeymoon trip. It was a great experience, the location is beyond beautiful, the Hotel is incredible, and lets not speak about the amazing infinity pool that blends in with the colours of the nature surrounding it. We stayed at a Villa room, I miss that bathtub inside of a small pond, that was so cool and the views from your bed are priceless. The staff were amazing, very friendly and always with a smile on their faces, they are also very helpful. Last point to mention, the food is so tasty and good, it felt great not having to worry of what to cook tonight myself :-) We recommend Alila Ubud a 100% to visit.

Room Tip: The Villa is prefect, unless you want a Villa with a private pool, which I can imagine would be grea...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,128)

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Alila is exactly what you expect from Bali: calm, serene, beautiful. The hotel is isolated and so not so close to the main restaurant/bar area. it's really quiet, not many kids The shuttle bus service runs 3 times a day which was okay, we got a taxi a few times which wasn't too expensive. The staff are really friendly and helpful. we didn't see too many monkeys while we stayed there but you can hear them at night which is a bit freaky. The food outside the hotel was better and defo cheaper , but the hotel iteself was really amazing, really peaceful no T.V's in the rooms, hustle and bustle, its the most calming experience, but can get a bit dull after a while, so we ventured into the town a few nights, staff are really friendly, rooms are big and well equipped.. Get up at the crack of dawn and walk into the rice paddies for the best sunrise, its actually the only time you can see the volcano in the distance. Awesome !

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2014

A lovely hotel with beautiful views, the food is great ( thank you chef Erwan) location is nice because its easy to get into town yet you have the added value of being out in nature. There are quite a few downsides to this hotel though, its not a place to go with young children there are a million stairs and no pram access - they were nice enough to upgrade us to a larger room when I told them I wanted to leave because of this. Also don't go if you can only stay in the superior room, they are london sized ( tiny) and really not what you want to be in when on holiday. What I was really surprised about considering that Alila Ubud markets itself as a young quite hip hotel is the lack of a proper bar, in the evening the options are dinner in the restaurant ( which has a small bar in the middle) or to sit in the lounge area in front of the pool- so it does get very quiet at night. Also there is no gym. We did have a lovely time thanks to the upgraded rooms and the lovely staff

Room Tip: choose the pool villa, the bath tub is unreal
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Alasdair D, General Manager at Alila Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear tzaky,

Greetings from Alila Ubud, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback.

I'd like to thank you for the very kind comments on the friendliness of the staff and the beauty of our location. We like to think that the 15 minute distance from Ubud is to our advantage as we are still close enough to easily explore the town via the complimentary shuttle service running 4 times daily but away from the hustle and bustle of Ubud, thus providing a peaceful sanctuary to relax.

Whist the superior rooms are the smallest of all our categories, as an entry level room they compare similarly with the entry level rooms offered by our competitors and do offer the best views over the valley from their second level positioning via the open balcony.

Regarding your feedback on the bar area, we are in progress of finalising a design to upgrade our guest facilities and look forward to launching a new bar & lounge in 2015 with additional poolside sun-lounger seating locations.

In terms of a gym, we do pride ourselves as an active lifestyle location and as you have rightly stated, there are numerous steps, that offer gym stalwarts ample opportunity for cardio exercise, with a much better view than a treadmill! In addition to this, we also offer complimentary mountain bikes whilst guided walking and hiking treks can be arranged with our very fit Leisure Concierge team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our beautiful property and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alila Ubud in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

I was expecting magical things fro Alila Ubud following all the hype about the hotel. The pool, of course, was pretty special and I can see why it consistently features on 'best hotel in the world' lists. I was surprised to see though that the view from the infinity pool does over look many other buildings in the hills which was unexpected. Also the way the beds were arranged alongside the pool felt slightly uncomfortable, as if it was the front row of an audience as you swam! I may be over reacting but I just found it a strange layout. The hotel is quite easy to find, and I was offered a welcome drink while I waited for around 15 minutes to check in! I was travelling solo and couldn't see what was taking them so long behind the desk! The hotel has a serene atmosphere but it is not a very friendly one, I felt. My room was one of the furthest and I had to walk up hill for around to get to it, and I arrived to a quite dingy room with no balcony which I was expecting. Room service was okay, breakfast was fabulous. Wifi in rooms did not work during my stay which was infuriating.
Overall I probably wouldn't stay here again considering all of the amazing hotel options in and around Ubud.

Room Tip: I booked a standard room and ended up with a room miles from the lobby and pool with no balcony. It...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear strange227,

Greetings from Alila Ubud and thank you for the valuable feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am in full agreement with you that the services and experience received during your stay are not up to the standard of 4 star hotels and certainly not up to the ​quality ​level that Alila guests expect.

You​r​ arrival welcome was unacceptable and not the warm greeting of an old friend that we are renowned for offering at Alila Ubud. I will be working with the front office team to ensure that our level of service is consistent, with a detailed review of our current standards as well as the hotel orientation which should have been conducted during the 15 minutes you were waiting in the lobby.

The feedback on the room menus has been addressed as we have recently (on the 15th July) reprinted all the in room collateral with the introduction of new services. I will be sure to conduct a more detailed check of the in room directories forthwith.

In terms of the internet, I must apologise on behalf of the team for the lack of follow up when being promised that they would be back in touch. Once again, this has highlighted a deficiency our reporting processes and I will be working through this with the team with immediate effect.

Once again I do apologise for your lacklustre experience. On your next visit to Bali, to help reaffirm the team's dedication to providing amazing guest experiences please feel free to contact me for all personal assistance I may offer.

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

A wonderful hotel in an amazing setting, would definitely go back again. The staff were all friendly and helpful, and the food in the restaurant was brilliant. We couldn't fault any of it and the pool overlooking the valley was the best pool we've ever seen, especially with the monkeys climbing in the trees during late afternoon.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for our honey moon! It was great extremely friendly service the staff memorized our names from day one.....

The villa was great we stayed in the private villa with pool...

And the hotel activities and tours are well planned and executed! They made sure we didn't fall for the tourist traps the have their own silver smith workshop and it was very private just me and the mrs we had as much time as we needed to finish!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 19, 2014

No mistake - this is a great property to stay for 3 or 4 nights if you just want to chill out. The building itself is unique - blending into the side of forested valley with open plan reception, restaurant, infinity pool with bar, very nice bedrooms with outside showers and baths, great spa, and a wonderful peaceful aura about it. Food is generally excellent, especially the breakfast, which is served and menu changes every day. It's 25 minutes from the centre of Ubud and there's a free shuttle about 6 times a day, but taxi rides are only £3.50. The early morning and dusk are best times to watch the monkeys play in the trees 30 yards from your veranda/balcony. Only downside is that the meals and bar service is sooooo slow.....OK, it's a place to chill but it takes 15 minutes to get a drink by the bar and another 15 to get your sandwich - and it's NOT cheap!! Staff generally very good but appeared disorganised. Gave up on afternoon tea (free - every day) as the food took so long to arrive. If this sort of thing doesn't bother you, and you have all the time in the world, then this is a great hotel!

Room Tip: All rooms face the valley. Higher rooms have better valley and monkey view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jimmysol
Alasdair D, General Manager at Alila Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear Jimmysol,

Greetings from Alila Ubud and thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay.

I'm pleased to read that you found the resort unique, the blending into the side of the forested valley is a beautiful design aspect of the property and timeless in it's calming effect on our guests. The open plan guest lobby and Plantation Restaurant offer wonderful views over the Ayung River valley with the infinity pool below being the highlight for many a guest stay.

In response to your comments on the timeliness of food and drink service by the pool, we have recognised that this is an area where our service can be improved & we are looking forward to next year when we will build a dedicated bar and kitchen next to the Cabana to improve our guest experience. In the interim, I will certainly review with the team on how we can improve current poolside services.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments, we appreciate your time and look forward to welcoming you back to Alila Ubud next year to experience our updated Cabana Bar!

Alasdair Davidson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
The Kayon Resort
#3 of 10 in Payangan
Komaneka at Tanggayuda
Komaneka at Tanggayuda
#1 of 6 in Kedewatan

Been to Alila Ubud? Share your experiences!