See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 2, 2016

This was a perfect place to relax and observe the beauty of Bali. But only a short drive into Ubud.

There are only two villas and these are very private but sharing a spectacular view across the rice fields to the jungle and to the dramatic peaks beyond. A view, even more mesmerising when floating in your private infinity pool. The villa was spacious and very comfortable, with both an indoor and outdoor shower.

The staff were always friendly, polite, very competent and responsive.

Dinners were fresh and tasty with a blend of western and Indonesian style cooking. Once we advised that we liked our food a bit spicy they adjusted the flavours or made certain that we had good sambal to accompany the meal.

Whilst secluded, there are pretty walks once you leave the front door - either through the lush fields or into the village of Kelusa with its long streets of striking traditional house compounds. And everyone will give you a smile and friendly greeting.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2016 via mobile

We had a very unpleasant experience at our honeymoon in jiwa villa in august 2016. Thinking of all the other couples dreaming of a romantic honeymoon there, I want to share my experience. Be prepared not only to see gigantic creatures in the garden and within the house, but also be prepared to the unconcerned attitude of the host as well.

Owner of the house was not there , but her staff welcomed us very kindly. When they took us to show our house area, just in a minute we saw a 1m long ( 3,5 ft ) green snke crawling next to our private pool. I prefer not to believe it was poisoned. even that long can be very poisoned in Bali. The housemaid tried to relax me and told that it is not a common thing and will never happen again. Just tin two minutes we opened the big cupboard which is full of books and coffee - tea appliances in our private house living area , next to the coffee and tea boxes, there was a 45cm (1,5 ft ) long huge lizrd looking at us. Given that it is a jungle area, I was expecting and could have handled little lizrds or rptiles but huge reptiles within 5 minutes were not what I was dreaming of and I was warned of. Coming across these in only 5 minutes, we got worried about what else we would see in the next 4 days?
So, we decided not to stay there. we tried to find another place by checking online but unfortunately we had to drive all the way back to our ex hotel in Canggu since all the good hotels around . were booked already..thank god our ex hotel provided us a room otherwise we were in trouble in the middle of jungle and our honeymoon.

I sent a very kind e-mail to the owner explaining the whole story and requested refund since we have prepaid half of the price and we could not have stayed in the house more than 5 minutes. The owner’s reply was shocking. Looking down on me, she stated that I should have been acknowledged about the snkes in Bali myself, and I should take the responsibility of my decisions, so that she would not pay me back. The most shocking part was not that! She was also complaining about missing the other half of the money. Looking at pictures of the place, don’t dream of a beautiful honeymoon. You may not mind the reptls as we did.
But attitude matters!
Think of other problems that can occur during your stay and imagine the attitude of the host. Make your decision accordingly.

Choose somewhere nice with a nice host ! wishing all a nice trip.

Stayed: July 2016
3  Thank melisbircan
Barbara H, Owner at Bali Jiwa Villa, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2016

Dear melisbircan,

we at Bali Jiwa Villa are always glad to receive constructive and objective criticism being a valuable tool in raising and maintaining our performance standards. Unfortunately your posting is entirely subjective, however, we are pleased to comment it as follows:

The policy (as mentioned everywhere on the Internet where you can book Bali Jiwa Villa) is: 50% deposit payment upon booking, 50% balance payment 1 month prior to arrival. No refund in case of early departure.

You failed to make 50% deposit payment (you transferred less than 50% only) and you also failed to pay the balance payment 1 month prior to arrival. Nevertheless we accepted your booking and met your explicit wish to pay all the payments still missing upon arrival.

You neither paid the rest of the deposit payment nor the balance payment upon arrival. I am leaving it up to you whether you are finding this an ethical and respectful behavior.

When travelling to a tropical place a traveller has to be aware of certain animals existing in its natural surroundings, including snakes and lezards which are among the most common animals in Bali. We were very surprised to learn that you apparently did not know about those anmials existing on the island and that you did not want to stay with us after seeing a snake and a gecko in Bali Jiwa Villa's tropical garden.

Our team told you that you would not be refunded in case of an early departure. However, you decided to leave Bali Jiwa Villa. The refund of your deposit payment you were asking me for by email afterwards could therefore not be considered.

We are sorry that we could not meet your expectations and trust that you are choosing a destination (and a property) you are informing yourself more detailed about when travelling again in future. Would save you and the host all the inconvenience caused.

Barbara

Reviewed July 23, 2016 via mobile

We stayed four nights at Bali Jiwa Villa and we couldn't have asked for anything better to finish our trip. The room, staff, view, pool and food was all perfect.

It's not the place to stay if you want to be in Ubud near all the tourist attractions (it's about a 20 minute drive away) but that's exactly the reason we stayed there. Bali Jiwa Villa is located just outside a tiny village set amongst jungle and rice paddies, but the two villas are quite separate from each other and private. Being a rural area, there are plenty of cicadas, roosters, frogs and geckos to provide a living symphony at all hours, but there is no traffic noise whatsoever.

If you aren't very good with bugs, geckos, small lizards and all sorts of other wildlife, the villas might not be for you (also if you're taller than about 6'2 you might stretch over the end of the very large but strangely short bed...). But if you are after a luxurious, private place to unwind in a beautiful natural setting in a quiet part of Bali, this is certainly the right place.

Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2016

wonderful villa, the view is amazing, and the staff are so kind, they made a free diner for us, one thing that I don't like it is the location it is far from downtown Ubud around 35 minute but they provide a free car for us, also no reception and after 12 am the staff left and only the security guy will stay, that made me unsafe especially the villa is open to the rice fields as shown in the pictures , however, I really enjoy staying there..

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
Barbara H, Owner at Bali Jiwa Villa, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2016

Dear sarah a,

thank you very much for posting a review. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Bali Jiwa Villa and the hospitality of our team.

One of the most appreciated things of Bali Jiwa Villa is that we are not in downtown Ubud, i.e. away from its hustle and bustle, in the countryside, at the edge of a typical Balinese village, where Bali has remained Bali and where people can still experience the traditional and authentic way of life and the beauty of this magical island.

I am sorry to hear that it took you 35 minutes to go to Ubud. I am doing the trip from Bali Jiwa Villa to downtown Ubud myself very often and it always takes me a maximum of 20 minutes, most of the time even less, around 15 minutes to reach Ubud center.

Because of being a small and intimate property of only 2 private pool villas, we cannot offer the service of a reception as hotels can do, but we have staff on site 24/7, including a security guard every night, i.e. never faced a single security issue so far.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you with us again.

With my very best wishes,
Barbara

Reviewed March 19, 2016

Wow !! From the minute you arrive at a little carved wooden door set in the middle of a rice field you realise this is like no where else.
We rented the two Villas here so had the whole place to ourselves total privacy, peace and seclusion.
The Villas and Lounge/Dining area are beautifully constructed and furnished to blend into the landscape lovely comfy beds, large bathrooms plus outdoor bath and shower.
Each area has a collection of books about Indonesia lovely local carvings and traditional furniture make you feel like you are staying in someone's home the attention to detail is fantastic.
And now the Staff !! You have your own Staff team who look after your every need cooking and serving beautiful Indonesian. There is a small choice at Breakfast and lunch and a lovely home cooked Indonesian Feast in the Evening.
This was an unforgettable Balinese experience - hope to return one day.

Room Tip: There are just two small villas each with there own sitting area and pool both totally amazing.
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled with family