We had a wonderful 4 night stay at Villa Jiwa in July 2013. First of all, it seems much has been written about the remote location. For us, the remoteness of the villa made our stay! It was great not to see any other tourists in the direct area, especially now that Ubud seems to be overcrowded with tourists, both in the city centre and on the roads to and from Ubud. It is true there's not much, if anything at all, in the direct vicinity in terms of restaurants. The hotel transfer charge to/and from Ubud at $10 one way is actually a realistic price, and not overcharging. We had the same price quoted by two different local drivers. The airport transfer at $50 is a bit too much, we paid $25 to get there. So getting into Ubud is a bit of a hassle both in terms of traveling time and costs (if you just want to have dinner in Ubud, $20 is relatively expensive compared to the price of an average dinner). We made the right decision to rent a motor bike. Yes, you have to be a bit adventurous but you get total freedom in return. Suddenly the villa's remote location was perfectly fine for us and driving the motorbike at night, through the rice paddies and under the stars was quite a sensation. On top of that, the motorbike is actually faster than a car and only $5 a day. But most important to us was that we could go anywhere anytime, which otherwise would always depend on the availability of a driver.
We had dinner at the Villa once, which was perfectly fine but to have dinner there every night would become rather boring. The private pool is of a very decent size, not just a plunge pool. Then the service, amazing and always with a smile! We felt very welcome and at home.
Three very minor points for improvement would be:
1) The wifi signal in the villa itself was very, very weak. You don't really need internet in this amazing surrounding but sometimes to look things up it's conventient. Wifi signal was fine in the salon though.
2)The dirt road to the villa is very rock-y. Not great for the motorbike and even our drivers were a little bit hesitant about entering the road.
3) Breakfast was wonderful, perhaps except for the quality of the bread, which was a bit cardboard like. I can however imagine getting decent bread in this remoteness is not easy.
All in all, we can not recommend this Bali Jiwa enough! Its remote location might not be working for everyone but it was just what we were looking for, especially with the mobility and flexibility the motorbike provides us. And compared to some of the luxury hotels in and around Ubud, excellent value for money, too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fifteen minutes north of Ubud - in the middle of lush green ricefields, nestles "Bali Jiwa Villa".It offers 2 Private Pool Villas which are distinguished by greatest possible comfort and tropical luxury.Staying here is your chance of experiencing the real Bali aesthetic from the inside and at the same time enjoying the tranquility of nature and the local countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Bali Jiwa Villa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bali Jiwa Villa Payangan