Ok so this resort/hotel is miles from the airport in a very quiet part of Bali but the journey aside, the peace and quiet was wonderful. The driving in Bali is shocking and scary no matter where you go and as there is really only one road to get you there, which is full of lorries heading to the port for trips to java it can be slow going.
Our accommodation could best be described as old and tired and a bit like a coffin, although there was plenty of space, and two bathrooms plus fans and air conditioning it was very old and damp. I grabbed the extra pillow out of the wardrobe to use but it was so musty I found it unusable; I guess it's common somewhere humid. I found it impossibly dark in our villa and the lighting inadequate. The roofing had a couple of visible holes in but even with heavy rain no water found its way inside. However our front patio was a completely different scenario, it leaked badly including right outside the door and even the area where the roof appeared to be in better condition the creaking noises distinctly sounded like it was about to fall on our head at any given moment. Our room was attended too each day, beds made etc but the floors weren't swept and we eventually had sand everywhere by the end of the week. There was no facilities made for sweeping ourselves in the villa. Our friends had an obviously much newer villa which was much nicer than ours, light and airy compared to our dungeon; air conditioning in both rooms and a much nicer kitchen area.
The menu at the resort is somewhat limited and I believe it to be overpriced; whilst there was nothing wrong with it and the food is actually nice there was nothing great. Due to its remoteness be prepared for them running out of things but this added to the charm. Feel free to ask for any changes to your dish, they are more than happy to accommodate you.
Pool area is nice but there is not enough sun loungers and there's definitely no jacuzzi. The bar area leaks badly when it rains as the roof is in a very bad state of repair.
Despite what appears to be a negative sounding review, we would definitely return to this charming little place. The Manager Alex and all the staff, particular mention to Novi will do anything for you, they are charming, polite and always have a smile and conversation with you. If you want to eat at any of the local hotels/restaurants ask reception to book and the other hotel will send transport for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Medewi Bay Retreat is a 15-minute drive from The Surfing Medewi Beach in Pekutatan, West Bali. Surrounded by mountains, the ocean and coconut plantations, it offers windsurfing opportunities by the beach and a spectacullar outdoor pool. Each studio or villa offers a private balcony/terrace with garden views. Kitchenware, a minibar and tea/coffee-making facilities are provided in the kitchenette/kitchen. Each comes with a living room and dining area. Medewi Bay Retreat is an hour’s drive from West Bali National Park and a 2-hour ride from Denpasar. Ngurah Rai Airport is a 2.5-hour drive away. The Palms Restaurant serves a selection of Western scenic, Indonesian, Balinese, and Indian cuisine. Room service is also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Priceline, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Medewi Bay Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Medewi Bay Retreat Hotel Negara
- Medewi Bay Retreat Bali/Negara