“medewi bay retreat”
Review of Medewi Bay Retreat

Medewi Bay Retreat
Reviewed April 28, 2013

if your looking for something different to Kuta & the usual hot spots, Medewi Bay Retreat is the place to stay.
I have always wanted to stay at a true resort and this place ticks all the boxes.
Excellent rooms, attentive staff, luxury size swimming pool, that;s never too crowded, massage & treatments are available also.
Dine at the restaurant, it does'nt charge resort prices, and every meal was excellent, in the space of a seven night stay you would have to eat the same thing twice, and believe me i am a foodie.
Other bonuses being so close to the idyllic beach, with beautiful black glitter sand, true local villages, motorbike hire and a short bus ride to Negara's hustle and bustle, made us fall in love with this place...can't wait to go back !

Room Tip: all rooms are lovely, believe me i inspected them all, most have pool views
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jennifer R

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed with friends and had a great time 7 nights August 2012. So much that I bought a bia annual time share for the place. It is great place to relax and do little, the bar is great and food too. Day trips are worth the cost and if you want the snorkling trip is great. I would say small children will be ok 12 to 20year old may find it to quit to stay. Allow enough time to get there. We are going back in August this year staying in Kuta 1st do the shopping and get supplies then going there, Staying at there othere place Sukuta for the last days. Total 2 weeks

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank John Z
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I also wondered what we were in for reading some of the reviews below before our trip to Bali last Jan/Feb using a "Deal Me" voucher (cost A$198) for one week at Medewi.

We had been to Bali many times before and are used to traffic in Bali and always use a local driver/hire car combination and whilst the trucks etc on the road to Medewi from Nusa or airport produce long travel times there is no need to get anxious-as some below did (Do not drive yourself, let alone use a motorbike- as that is just asking for trouble!).

More- we stay at a variety of resorts in our usual 3 week's stay and so have plenty of experience to compare value for money and quality of resort experience. As such, after our one week stay at Medewi- we found many of the negative reviews below not at all consistent with our experience.

On arrival, we asked the receptionists which villa they would choose, realising that demanding to occupy the privately owned villas (Hibiscus,the new block at the rear etc) or any of the multi-bedroom ones for us two would be a bit arrogant. The choice was thus the "Rose" villas- and we chose Rose 6 and could not have been happier!

The veranda overlooked the pool-yet was private and the villa-in traditional Bali style with a high hatched ceiling comprised a large air-conditioned bedroom, large bathroom and a large living/kitchen area (no hotplates and water access was in the large bathroom but with a microwave, toaster, kettle, plates etc and fridge (bigger than in most resort rooms). YES we paid $4 for 19 litres of drinking water which was-in our view- very reasonable and more than sufficient for 2 for one week! YES the TV only had Indonesian channels but we do not go to Bali to watch TV!

YES, on arrival one of the bedside lamps did not work and this was fixed within 15 minutes. There were daily re-supplies of shampoo, coffee, tea, towels etc. as wanted and as timeshare owners (accor) it is no news that units are not cleaned daily (and we make up our own bed anyway, even in serviced accommodation).

The resort staff is drawn from the local village- always helpful, efficient and friendly.The manager Alex and business manager Frank were courteous and obliging and as we were already timeshare owners there was no "hardsell" on us at all during Tuesday night's Happy Hour- instead we bought 3 weeks for use over the next 3 years, because WE will be back!

The restaurant offered a vast range of foods, always well presented and competitive with eg. Nusa prices and the service/government charge is 15% and not 21%, as in the other resort areas. Yes- bring local cash to pay your bill as that avoids a credit card surcharge-as most resorts elsewhere now also charge.

The local shop on the main road just opposite the village lane which provides entry to Medewi provides bread etc, BEER! (caA$2.50-large Bintang) so there is no need to cart stuff to the retreat from elsewhere. And the nearby local village (ca. 5 min walk) has shops which sell local fruit as, for variety, we bring breakfast cereal from Perth when we get sick of breakfast buffets in resorts. There is no buffet at the restaurant but the egg dishes (Western breakfast) are ample if that is what you desire to have-as we did on a few days. We always had dinner at the restaurant and were never disappointed!

YES, this is not Kuta and we are very glad. For such a traditional resort experience one would normally pay "extra"! Try South Africa! The pool was clean with enough shade and when we stayed there were about 15 people in residence and there was no overcrowding whatsoever.

Room Tip: Rose 1-4 are 1 bed with upstairs units (3,4) ; 5,6 are high ceiling ground level 1 beds- upstairs an...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
14  Thank Harry L
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Yes webought a Bali getaways voucher and it was great value for money , highly recommend .we found all the staff helpful and the marketing man Frank was very good in giving us advice on purchasing our property in Bali.the palms restaurant was good value for money and slot cheaper than at home

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Pvb114411
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is the 3rd time we have stayed at Medewi.
Pointers for staying there.
1. Yes it is on average 3 hours from main airport - my suggestion is that you do some site seeing on the way Eg: Tanah Lot , good shopping, markets, temple
2. Traffic is terrible no matter where you are in Bali, so sit back and relax and enjoy the view and beautiful scenery along the way.
3. Do some shopping on the way up or take a trip to Negara which is only about half hour drive, there is a big store called Hardy's you can buy all sorts there from food, drinks,clothes, shoes, make up, electrical. Really nice cheap bakery just down from Hardy's
Most hotels only supply bottle water for your bathroom, you can buy 20 litre bottle of water with dispenser for $4 - this is not expensive just ask on arrival and they will bring it to your room.
4.there is a really nice you guy up the road called Putu (Pootoo) who has a surf shop you can have lessons or just hire a board.
5. The Palms Restuarant at Medewi Bay Retreat is very good, we have been to other resorts in the area and it is on par if not better with taste and variety. I believe cost is reasonable family of 4 dinner and soft drink each was around $40, for coffees, lunch snacks, spiders and dinner another day was $60, these are just examples and I think are very reasonable. Lunch from bakery in Negara was $5 so it all evens out in the end.
6. If you want to go out for dinner the Puri Dajuma is 5- 10 mins away, over looking the beach beautiful location. Call them and book and they will come and pick you up. Dinner for family of 4 -2 entrees, 4 main, 1 sweets and half a dozen drinks $68 definitely worth it the view is lovely and it would give you a night out.
7. My husband rents a motorbike and comes and goes from the resort, my son loves to go with him where my daughter and I like to sit and read or play games. It cost $6 to rent a bike for the day.
8. Retreat staff are all very friendly and very polite, nothing to much trouble. Just ask if you need anything as they are more than happy to help.
Ika and Kadek on front desk both very helpful and lovely ladies.
Yasa, Novi, Dewi, Iluh, Putra and Wardana -Restuarant and housekeeping staff always smiling and nothing to much trouble. Even the ground staff are friendly and greet you with a smile each day!!
9. Internet connect is very poor - so what your on holiday and as my husband says its good to get away from the I devices!!!! On a serious note if you really need to connect for something urgent speak to front reception they will help you.
10. Construction around the Retreat - yes there is construction a set of 6 new studio apartments are being built, there is very little disruption or noise, we also stay at the Dynasty in Tuban 4.5Star we have also stayed there when a full upgrade was being done and things are no different at either place.
11. Towels will be changed on a daily basis if you need them to be, just mention to housekeeping or front desk and it will done. Cleaning of room is not included, it does have a cost if you would like it done.
12. They do have a traditional massage hut by the pool, it is nice to have a massage but I must say I look forward to an actual day spa which is being talked about being built in the future.
To sum it up we really enjoy both the country and the hassle and bustle of Bali, our kids 11 & 13 also enjoy both. They perfect scenario is problem 4-5 days at the retreat and 4-5 days in Kuta/Legian/Sanur depending on your taste.
Take things for what they are, if you want 5 star being run after day and night go and pay big $$$ for the Hotel/Resorts.
Medewi Bay Retreat is quiet, do things at your own leisure, talk to the staff and enjoy other guest company if you wish, take a walk to the beach, visit other resorts in the area for a meal - they welcome you to visit.
I think I have said enough we will back again and have already booked for June this year.
For those that take the time t read this, I hope you find it helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
63  Thank Coll0401
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I also got one of the fax mails for 7days for a very cheap price, so from the price I didnt set my standards to high. I travelled between the 24th November - 30th november.

I rang the company who sells the tickets as reading these comments , made me NOT want to go near the place. She assured me they were very nice and updated, I asked about the travel time and she advised me that my plane getting in at 10AM would be perfect and their would not much traffic. Very VERY WRONG , it doesnt matter what time you get their their WILL ALWAYS be TRAFFC and ALOT of it !!

TRAVEL TIME / TRAFFIC
It took us 3.5 - 4HOURS To get their , the traffic is UnBelievably HORRIFIC !! Defiantly put your seat belts ON , and a few times my eyes did shut due to thinking where going to have a head on with the OTHER SIDE OF THE TRAFFIC and I didnt take out insurance. No ONE belives in LANES, or blinkers, all you hear is honking of the horn if your to slow , in the way, or if their over taking you.

POLICE
The police pull over tourist and ask them for money otherwise they will be sent to jail , so hiring the mopeds dont go on main roads otherwise be prepared to be stopped and made to pay.

RESORT
Medewi Bay retreat, other then the LONG JOURNEY their, it was beautful , we stayed in the villas that were joined with a pool in the middle. It had everything it needed,with a booming stero as well. Although the bathroom section that had the toliet and shower a section had no roof, I was not impressed , as you felt creeped out and insect could get in. They needed some attention to detail, eg dirty marks on the wall. We randomly had 'Bread Baking' packets , each villa had differant odd stuff in it. Odd Not in a good way.

The pool was nice and warm although no shade, the staff were very beautiful specialy the waiters and bar staff. The front office man had no clue and it was like talking to a brick wall, he also was on his phone while I was standing trying to talk to him.

My over all opionion is we left after one night due to not being bothered to do the 6+ hour drive a day just to get to places and back to the resort, based on this experiance I wont be buying another holiday from a Fax AGAIN !

Room Tip: If your wanting to shops and site see this is the place NOT TO GO !! , It is in the middle of no whe...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
16  Thank RJ F
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at the Medewi Bay Resort from 13th-20th October on our Scoopon voucher. After reading the reviews we knew exactly what to expect. First we rented a car and drove ourselves there (my husband loves to drive in Bali) so this gave us the freedom to go anywhere. We stayed in one of the new studio apartments with a kitchen, bedroom/lounge area, huge bathroom and balcony. We were upstairs in Soka 8. We were quite happy with this accommodation, yes we were next to the construction going on next to us but they never bothered us the whole time we were there. They didn’t work over night and that was the only time we were in our room. We went up to Negara and bought breakfast foods and enjoyed our breakfast on the balcony every morning. We had a large fridge, kettle, toaster and cook top. The staff were friendly enough. The gardens were nice around the resort but the footpath from reception to our room was broken and quite dangerous. Everyday there were large thunderstorms in the afternoon and unfortunately umbrellas were not provided so we were drenched by the time we got to our room as the paths have no cover over them. Even though we were walking slowly in the rain, my husband slipped over at the bottom of the stairs leading up to our room, due to the construction site dirt had washed over the tiles and it was very slippery, he cut his leg up quite badly, but when I told reception they cleaned it up the next day, but take an umbrella if you intend to stay here. Because of the rain every day, everything was fresh and green. Because we had a car we were able to go out to other cafes for dinner and found some really cheap ones with great food, Toms Café at Baliean Beach was very good and they had wifi which they turned off at 6pm. We learn't to go earlier next time. This resort is in amongst the real Bali, if you want nightlife, lots of shopping and places to walk to. then DON’T GO HERE, if you are happy to have a quiet week relaxing around the pool and reading then you will be ok. Unfortunately they need to purchase a lot more pool beds. They don't service the rooms but you can pay 10 US, we didn't bother we had a broom in our room so I swept up a couple of times. If you want a change of towels you just have to ask at reception. This is a timeshare accommodation and they have a little presentation happy hour talking about purchasing a unit but you are not compelled to go to it so we went out for the evening. We enjoyed ourselves very much but I think if they keep building more rooms the pool area will become very crowded. For $225 for 7 nights we thought it was good deal.

Room Tip: We were upstairs in the new rooms and slept well, the a/c worked well and we had a kitchen
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank wallabyjo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negara
Puri Dajuma Cottages
#2 of 7 in Negara
Taman Wana Villas and Spa
0 mi away
No photo provided

Been to Medewi Bay Retreat? Share your experiences!