“an All-Star experience”

Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here 2 night during the baseball "All-Star" weekend, so the hotel was VERY busy. The front desk people were EXCELLANT; always nice and helpful. We were able to get clean towels, bed sheets, coffee, soap, etc. without any hesitation. Looking at the previous reviews, the bad ones seem to be from a year ago, whatever this hotels has done in that year deserves some praise. The bed was so comfortable, had no problems sleeping at all. Only noise was the occasional people shutting car doors (we were on the first floor near the office). Rooms were very clean and equiped. The only problems I ran into were not having a skillet to cook with. Called before booking room to make sure what the kitchen had, asked Friday night and twice on Saturday and kept being told they would get me one, never did. The internet was not working the entire weekend. A bit frustrating when you're wanting to look up "where to go" while visiting, luckily had local friends that were able to get us around ok. I did not use the fitness center or the pool, so I have no opinion really on those. The room was a bit smaller than i had expected, but it was sufficient. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in can seriously only fit 2 people. The hotel is a bit difficult to find, follow...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

"I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Crossland Kansas City - Independence. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

My experience was wonderful. James, the employee I dealt with was understanding and never rushed me once. I was never bothered and the room was very neat, clean and very quiet. I would recommend this hotel for anyone expecially if you don't have a lot of money or just for a leisure event :)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Crossland Kansas City - Independence. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

I checked into this hotel, went into the room to check it out. There were bugs crawling along the baseboard!! Went back to the office and checked out! I definately DO NOT recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel! Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Marchiasa
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I will not stay here again even if they give it to us for free, no way!!!
There were roaches on the walls, bugs and fly all over the room, there were also a roach inside the mini fridge, room wasn't clean enough, no towels I had to call front desk to get some, the room was
to small that I don't even think one person only will be comfortable there. And internet connection is terrible, and they charge you $4.99 for the connection that is not even good, plus you have to call a number the front desk would give you if you have any problems with the connection, they won't call for you, but you have to pay the front desk for the connection, ??? It don't make any sense at all!!!
TV, can't see almost anything, channels are horrible!!! This is one of the most horrible hotel we ever stayed, but I have to say the front desk staff were nice. THE MATTRESS WERE SO HARD LIKE A PIECE OF WOOD!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My friend and I traveled to the Kansas City/Independence, MO area for a baseball game (Royals vs. Twins). We decided to stay wherever we could find a good deal. We landed on the Crossland because it was cheap - and since it's an extended-stay property, the room included a kitchenette so we didn't have to eat all our meals out.

I've never stayed in any kind of extended-stay hotel before. This place would be ideal for someone visiting the area for more than a week at a time, but we were only there three nights.

Because of the extended-stay nature of the property, there was no daily housekeeping. You could take out your own trash and bring your towels to the front desk to exchange them for clean ones. For stays less than 7 nights, there was no housekeeping at all (unless you wanted the "daily refresh" for $3/night). Longer stays include housekeeping once every 7 days.

The location was great - easy to get to, and there was plenty of parking available. It was also very close to Kauffman Stadium, which was why we were in the area to begin with. There were lots of restaurants nearby as well as grocery stores.

The TV was old and took a while to get "warmed up." Had to wait for about 5 minutes after turning it on before the picture would show up. In a room with 2 beds, there was only one chair and a small table. There were dishes available for use in the kitchenette, but no tissues in the entire room. Also, there was no actual closet, just a rod by the door. The dresser was small and only had 3 drawers - this would have been very inconvenient had we been staying for more than 3 nights.

The lights were wired strangely. There was a bright overhead light by the door, and another very bright fluorescent light by the kitchen/bathroom. In order to use the bedside lamps, the light by the door had to be on, which meant we had to get out of bed to turn the lights off if we wanted to read before we went to sleep.

There were ants in the bathroom.

Wireless internet was available for $5 for the entire stay. We were not told this upon checking in, and didn't know about it until the last night when my friend asked about it. Since there was only one night left, we declined.

What we found most worriesome, however, was the lack of security. When we checked in, my friend (she made the reservation) just said her name, and the person working the desk gave her a key (only 1 key for two of us). The next day, the key wasn't working, so my friend went down to the front desk to get it fixed. The worker there (different person than the night before) just asked for her room number and made a new key - no checking to confirm that she was actually staying there. All the doors open to the outdoors, not to an internal hallway, so it would be very easy for someone to get in.

Overall, it wasn't really a bad experience, but it wasn't right for our stay. The price was right, but it wasn't for us. Next time we will choose to stay in a place designed for visitors staying a few days.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank buppyspek
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I were attending a conference and this hotel was recommended by the conference staff. I have no idea why. There are lots of nice hotels in the area. I had requested a non-smoking room but when I arrived the room reeked of cigarette smoke and we were told the hotel was full and there were no other rooms. Only one light bulb in the entire room worked. I wondered if this was on purpose in hopes that I wouldn't notice the filthy carpet which was not just "stained." They obviously hadn't even tried to get the dirt out. There were no washcloths at all. The ceiling and walls were covered with water stains. The lampshades were stained. The shower didn't work. When I arrived, the room had not been made up (my husband had spent one night there already). When he called to get someone to make the bed, he was told that you only get maid service if you stay more than 5 nights. They obviously cater to short term area workers. Since I had pre-paid for our reservation through Travelocity, I knew I wouldn't likely get my money back but the place was so depressing I told my husband to not even set down my suitcase. We drove across the street and stayed at the Motel 6 for $49 a night. The next day talking to some conference people, I discovered we were not the only ones to have moved. And some people had known better than to book there in the first place. I'm usually pretty forgiving and if a room is clean I don't worry too much about worn furnishings. But this place is a dive.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I stayed at Crossland for several weeks. The rooms were extremely cramped, paint was peeling off the exterior doors, trash was piled in the hallways and the price was about 100 dollars more than cleaner, newer extended stay properties in the area. The bed was uncomfortable without fitted sheets and you find yourself laying on a nasty mattress by morning. If you plan to stay here, get all your vaccinations as if you were going to a third world country and pack a handgun and sleep with it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Super 8 Independence Kansas City
Days Inn Independence
Days Inn Independence
#16 of 18 in Independence
10 mi away
Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Northeast - Worlds of Fun
Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Lenexa - 95th St.
Americas Best Value Inn-Independence-Kansas City
Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City I-70 East

Been to Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence? Share your experiences!