“Good stay in Independence.”

Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Avon, Indiana
“Good stay in Independence.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

My 12 year old son and I spent two nights here while visiting to tour the Truman Library and WWI museum. The hotel is in a good location for visiting the Independence area. There are a number of restaurants within an easy drive and a mall close by.

The hotel staff were friendly and the hot and cold breakfast was perfectly adequate.

The pool and hot tub area were clean and the workout room was also clean and well kept.

I wish Marriott would use a higher grade of toilet paper. :)

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our area and have a good experience at our hotel. I hope you will stay with us when you visit our area in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I was very pleased with this hotel. I stayed with 6 other guests in 2 rooms, and let me tell you, the rooms are great! I love that the rooms that we had had a microwave and fridge. I also enjoyed the breakfast. I liked that they had a lot of different choices, including premade oatmeal. The pool was large and that made it easier to accommodate more people. I found it interesting that the whirlpool was taken out to make the pool larger. The service was absolutely excellent! The front desk brought towels whenever needed in the pool area and they were very kind. I especially want to thank Kim at the front desk, Elaine the general manager, and Kenneth in the breakfast room for their exceptional service. Thanks so much!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for the great review. It is always nice to hear from our guests; especially with such kind words. It is nice to know you made it home safe and sound. We look forward to seeing your when you are in our area in the future. Thank you again!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Had a comfortable stay at a reasonable price. Nothing to complain about. Some one else objected to the internet speed but I had no problems. This was a business trip and this hotel met my expectations. Pretty good location with a nice restaurant within walking distance and fast food places 10 minutes away. I give it a high recommendation as I forgot a gold necklace in my room and the hotel cleaning staff turned it over to management and it was handed back to me without a problem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jimpatjr
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. There is definitely a variety of restaurant options within minutes of our hotel and I am glad you enjoyed 54th Street Grill and Bar. I hope you will choose our hotel when traveling to the Independence area in the future.
Joplin, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in a lot if Marriott properties and this is the first time that I have been disappointed. The hot tub was not in working order, which was fine. Although some of us was hoping to use it. When we got to our rooms, they were very hot. I turned the heat off & turned the air on. After several hours & turning the air down to 60 degrees, it was still hot & we had to open the window. Keep in mind, this was in January. But, to top it off. The next morning at breakfast, the dining room attendant was very rude & looked like he may have just been working in the garden. Don't get me wrong. All jobs are important but this guy didn't seem to have any pride in his job. He looked like he just crawled out of bed & slept in the dirty clothes that he wore to work. The only hot food was eggs & biscuits & gravy. When there was no gravy & one of us asked if there was going to be more, he was very rude. They had bananas as well but they looked like they had been there for a week & were black. I'm sorry to say that I don't think we will be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
I am extremely sorry we did not live up to the standards you deserve, and we expect from our hotel. My maintenance engineer has been notified concerning the heat unit in the room you stayed. I have dealt with the person in our breakfast, and sincerely apologize for his appearance and attitude. These are NOT acceptable at this hotel. I hope you will give us aother chance when you are in the Independence area.

Elaine Rose, GM
Buhler, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were in town for a last minute family emergency, so we had not previously planned for a hotel stay. We were referred here from an employee at the Quick Trip. We came in late in the evening. Rachel at the front desk was so helpful, cheerful and polite! She helped us get checked in and explained everything very well. The room was clean, and well organized. There was no "smell" in the room as one of the reviewers stated. It smelled like..well like a clean room! We requested no room service as we didn't think we would be there too terribly long. When we realized we needed yet another night they were happy to oblige, and everything was taken care of for us. The continental breakfast is exactly that. A CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST. Those of you reviewers need to understand what that is. I have stayed in Motels/Hotels before that offered Continental Breakfast which only consisted of dry cereal and maybe some rolls. This was beyond that, Waffles, sausage, fresh fruit, muffins, etc. The staff was keeping up with the guest's in for breakfast and everything was kept picked up and clean. Always had fresh hot coffee for the guests! In my opinion, if you want more than this then you need to find your self a Waffle House. Since getting home, I have read these other reviews, and In MY OPINION they must be very spoiled people! Chemical smell? WHERE? WERE YOU SLEEPING IN THE POOL ROOM? Homeless people?...WHERE? We never did see any homeless people anywhere in or around that area, during the day or night. DATED?.....WHERE? My husband and I were very pleased with every aspect of this Hotel. As I stated to the day clerk when checking out, IF FOR ANY REASON WE NEED TO BE BACK IN INDEPENDENCE WE WILL BE STAYING HERE!
This Hotel is clean, parking area/doors are very well lit. We are from a small mid Kansas farming town of @ 2500 people. I NEVER felt worried about going to and from the building to the car. I felt very safe, so .....Oh and to address reviewer carraig....Internet? ...Yep you guessed it....Didn't have a problem with ours! I just don't understand some people...They have to have something to complain about.. Most of all these reviews don't even come close to what we experienced with this hotel and staff. I'm sorry. but you all sound like spoiled brats who have to have everything just so so. If you want that then STAY HOME!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review. We strive to take care of our guests and give them an experience that makes them want to return. I am extremely glad we fulfilled our promsie to you. We look forward to your future visits to Independence. Elaine
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Great location. Unfortunately the below average internet, single elevator, and dated rooms leave a lot to be desired. If you are used to high Marriott standards, this hotel will disappoint.

This hotel is just down the street from the Independence Mall and less than a 10min walk to a number of big box stores including the nicest theater in the area. It is in a quiet area away from the criminal areas of Independence. We actually live in the area and only stayed here for a kid-free night away from the house. As a local you can trust me that the location is awesome. If you have specific questions, please use the "ask reviewer a question' feature below the review and I'll do what I can to answer questions about the area.

Unfortunately, that is the only thing that is awesome. Of note, the hotel was sold out when we stayed which probably affected the quality of our stay.

Pros:
- Friendly staff
- (Pro or Con) Bed was VERY soft. Too soft for myself and my pregnant wife, as it hurt our backs, but I know that many people like a super soft bed.

Concerns:
- Internet tested on speedtest.net was only a 1mb connection. This is very slow compared to most hotels I stay at.
- Single small elevator shared between housekeeping, staff, and customers can make hotel waits very long.
- Hot breakfast provided, but we chose to eat elsewhere because the staff was not keeping up with the mess and there was food on every empty table and on the floor.
- Our room looked and smelled dated. Not unpleasant, but must like a visit to Grandma's house.
- The plumbing in the shower made a screeching noise whenever the shower was running. The front desk promised to look into it.

Overall the staff was nice, and the location was perfect. Unfortunately the hotel is desperately in need of an additional elevator and a full renovation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I am glad our staff service, cleanliness, and location were assets for your stay.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

To begin with the hotel doesn't show up on two different GPS Systems. The hotel did not answer the phone for 2 hours. The rooms had a very bad chemical smell to them. Homeless people sleeping in the parking lot. Not a safe Hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rd400
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write a review. I sincerely apologize that the phone was not answered. I have written a personal response so I can get further information. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Independence hotels