“Good place with really nice service”

Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Had a comfortable stay at a reasonable price. Nothing to complain about. Some one else objected to the internet speed but I had no problems. This was a business trip and this hotel met my expectations. Pretty good location with a nice restaurant within walking distance and fast food places 10 minutes away. I give it a high recommendation as I forgot a gold necklace in my room and the hotel cleaning staff turned it over to management and it was handed back to me without a problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jimpatjr
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. There is definitely a variety of restaurant options within minutes of our hotel and I am glad you enjoyed 54th Street Grill and Bar. I hope you will choose our hotel when traveling to the Independence area in the future.

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in a lot if Marriott properties and this is the first time that I have been disappointed. The hot tub was not in working order, which was fine. Although some of us was hoping to use it. When we got to our rooms, they were very hot. I turned the heat off & turned the air on. After several hours & turning the air down to 60 degrees, it was still hot & we had to open the window. Keep in mind, this was in January. But, to top it off. The next morning at breakfast, the dining room attendant was very rude & looked like he may have just been working in the garden. Don't get me wrong. All jobs are important but this guy didn't seem to have any pride in his job. He looked like he just crawled out of bed & slept in the dirty clothes that he wore to work. The only hot food was eggs & biscuits & gravy. When there was no gravy & one of us asked if there was going to be more, he was very rude. They had bananas as well but they looked like they had been there for a week & were black. I'm sorry to say that I don't think we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2014
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

I am extremely sorry we did not live up to the standards you deserve, and we expect from our hotel. My maintenance engineer has been notified concerning the heat unit in the room you stayed. I have dealt with the person in our breakfast, and sincerely apologize for his appearance and attitude. These are NOT acceptable at this hotel. I hope you will give us aother chance when you are in the Independence area.

Elaine Rose, GM

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were in town for a last minute family emergency, so we had not previously planned for a hotel stay. We were referred here from an employee at the Quick Trip. We came in late in the evening. Rachel at the front desk was so helpful, cheerful and polite! She helped us get checked in and explained everything very well. The room was clean, and well organized. There was no "smell" in the room as one of the reviewers stated. It smelled like..well like a clean room! We requested no room service as we didn't think we would be there too terribly long. When we realized we needed yet another night they were happy to oblige, and everything was taken care of for us. The continental breakfast is exactly that. A CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST. Those of you reviewers need to understand what that is. I have stayed in Motels/Hotels before that offered Continental Breakfast which only consisted of dry cereal and maybe some rolls. This was beyond that, Waffles, sausage, fresh fruit, muffins, etc. The staff was keeping up with the guest's in for breakfast and everything was kept picked up and clean. Always had fresh hot coffee for the guests! In my opinion, if you want more than this then you need to find your self a Waffle House. Since getting home, I have read these other reviews, and In MY OPINION they must be very spoiled people! Chemical smell? WHERE? WERE YOU SLEEPING IN THE POOL ROOM? Homeless people?...WHERE? We never did see any homeless people anywhere in or around that area, during the day or night. DATED?.....WHERE? My husband and I were very pleased with every aspect of this Hotel. As I stated to the day clerk when checking out, IF FOR ANY REASON WE NEED TO BE BACK IN INDEPENDENCE WE WILL BE STAYING HERE!
This Hotel is clean, parking area/doors are very well lit. We are from a small mid Kansas farming town of @ 2500 people. I NEVER felt worried about going to and from the building to the car. I felt very safe, so .....Oh and to address reviewer carraig....Internet? ...Yep you guessed it....Didn't have a problem with ours! I just don't understand some people...They have to have something to complain about.. Most of all these reviews don't even come close to what we experienced with this hotel and staff. I'm sorry. but you all sound like spoiled brats who have to have everything just so so. If you want that then STAY HOME!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review. We strive to take care of our guests and give them an experience that makes them want to return. I am extremely glad we fulfilled our promsie to you. We look forward to your future visits to Independence. Elaine

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Great location. Unfortunately the below average internet, single elevator, and dated rooms leave a lot to be desired. If you are used to high Marriott standards, this hotel will disappoint.

This hotel is just down the street from the Independence Mall and less than a 10min walk to a number of big box stores including the nicest theater in the area. It is in a quiet area away from the criminal areas of Independence. We actually live in the area and only stayed here for a kid-free night away from the house. As a local you can trust me that the location is awesome. If you have specific questions, please use the "ask reviewer a question' feature below the review and I'll do what I can to answer questions about the area.

Unfortunately, that is the only thing that is awesome. Of note, the hotel was sold out when we stayed which probably affected the quality of our stay.

Pros:
- Friendly staff
- (Pro or Con) Bed was VERY soft. Too soft for myself and my pregnant wife, as it hurt our backs, but I know that many people like a super soft bed.

Concerns:
- Internet tested on speedtest.net was only a 1mb connection. This is very slow compared to most hotels I stay at.
- Single small elevator shared between housekeeping, staff, and customers can make hotel waits very long.
- Hot breakfast provided, but we chose to eat elsewhere because the staff was not keeping up with the mess and there was food on every empty table and on the floor.
- Our room looked and smelled dated. Not unpleasant, but must like a visit to Grandma's house.
- The plumbing in the shower made a screeching noise whenever the shower was running. The front desk promised to look into it.

Overall the staff was nice, and the location was perfect. Unfortunately the hotel is desperately in need of an additional elevator and a full renovation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. I am glad our staff service, cleanliness, and location were assets for your stay.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

To begin with the hotel doesn't show up on two different GPS Systems. The hotel did not answer the phone for 2 hours. The rooms had a very bad chemical smell to them. Homeless people sleeping in the parking lot. Not a safe Hotel

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank rd400
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. I sincerely apologize that the phone was not answered. I have written a personal response so I can get further information. Thank you.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here three nights Labor Day weekend. When we checked in, Christopher was working the front desk. He was super friendly and helpful. (He was there each evening and always very nice.) I asked if the rooms had fridges, and he said some do, some do not, and if ours did not, he would try to find us one. Sure enough, our room did not, but he found a small one in storeage for us, that worked so well our drinks had ice in them. :-)

There were two college baseball teams staying at the hotel (including the Army team), but we never had any issues with noise. I am an extremely light sleeper, and I never once heard people outside our room or the hotel. (We were on the third (top) floor.)

We didn't love the polyester blend sheets, and the bed had a thin duvet only, no blankets. We did have five pillows (king-size bed), including two more firm ones, which is what we prefer. The mattress was comfortable, but everytime my husband did so much as move a leg, the whole thing bounced. It just was very "bouncy" and I did wake up a lot during the night when my husband would change positions in his sleep.

We requested no maid service the first day, and after 1:30pm the second day, and they were happy to comply. I spoke w/ one of the housekeepers and she was very friendly.

The free "hot" breakfast consists of make-your-own waffles, powdered eggs, and sausage patties. They also had cereal, bagels, muffins, apples, pineapple and cantaloupe, and they can provide gluten-free Chex if you ask. I stuck to food I had in my room (as I am GF), and my husband ate down there two of the three mornings we were there. He wasn't overly impressed, but it was free.

We paid $79 Fri and Sat night and $59 Sun night w/ our Friends & Family discount. I don't think the hotel is worth any more than that. I would have been disappointed in the quality of the hotel if we'd paid full price.

Starbucks is in the shopping center next door, so you can walk over. The 54th Street Grill and Bar restaurant next door was terrible, so we don't recommend it, just FYI.

Room Tip: I'd say request the top floor to avoid any noise from guests above you and request a fridge.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your review. It is always nice to get compliments on our staff, and the positive comments are appreciate. We hope to see you on your next visit to Independence. Elaine R.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We recently stayed at this Fairfield inn on our summer vacation to President Trumans library and home. This has been my dream vacation for years. staying at this Fairfield inn was a great place to stay. Elaine and her staff were awesome. They made my wife and I feel at home and welcome. The property was clean, breakfast was very good and well stocked. Nearby are many stores such as walmart, Barnes and Nobles. Easy acess to the highway and many good eateries. If you are planning a visit please stay with them you wont be sorry.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review. We take pride in delivering the service and accommodations our guests deserve. We look forward to your visits in the future!