“It was a joy to stay where cleanliness and courtesy were paramount.”

Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City I-70 East
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed December 22, 2009

While this was not one of the newest hotels we have stayed in it was obvious that management took hospitality and cleanliness very seriously. Remodeling had been done to bring this facility up to date and it was done very well. We had two rooms this stay so our teenage son and his best friend could have some space. We were very pleased when there were no complaints from our normally particular son. Our room was nice, bright, spacious, clean and everything worked as it should. Breakfast in the mornings was pleasant and filling with a nice variety to choose from. The staff that we encountered throughout the hotel was always helpful and cheery. This is a place we will stay in again when we go to a KC Chiefs game.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed April 19, 2009

We could not find this motel in the CHOICE book and when we called we were told it was a new motel and not in the book yet. However, it is an old motel that they attempted to fix up. There is no counter space in the bathroom but plenty of space for one. There were no plugs for the coffee pot and one light so they brought in an extension cord. The lady in the breakfast bar does NOT stop talking and there was no fresh fruit or meat. The worst thing was that the outside doors were not kept locked and I had to pass someone in the hall who was quite high on somthing.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nana&Boppa
BettyIndependence, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City I-70 East, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2009

While we are not a new motel we have been in the process of renewing our property for the last year. Our new indoor pool has been completed and we have continued to upgrade the rooms.

Reviewed November 1, 2008

This place is a joke. It was in the middle of a remodel which they failed to tell us when we checked in. Our room was one of the recently remodeled rooms. At first glance it looked great the new funitrue new wallpaper was nice. After staying in the room for a few hours we started to notice some distrubing things. First of all was the bathroom, the sleeping area was new but the bathroom still had the old shower and sink. The two were old and grose the water started out brown befor clearing up (we did not drink any of the water from the hotel) and they did not drain fast or at all. My wife saw a roach run behind the mirror that hangs in the room. I told her I would kill it. After fidigiting with the mirror for a few seconds I found that it was not glued on but hung on clips. Just lift it up and it comes right off. To my amaze ment there was a huge hole in the wall behind the mirror that led to the piping of the shower. The wall on the inside was full of trash and mold. I could also see light shining up through the floor. This must be how the roaches travel through the hotel. The glas of the mirror had no backing to stiffen it. Dont hit the glass or it will shatter. I also had a problem with the door to the room it seemed to stick so badly that it had to be slammed in order to shut it. I would seem that all the rooms had the same problem, Slaming doors all night make for very little sleep. The ac and heat units were full of dust and stank. Dont waste your time with this place it is apparent that the ball was droped on the remodel. If you do stay make sure thay take off the safe charge if you dont use the safe. They charge it automatically on every bill.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mrdk
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I had a one night impromptu stay. The receptionist saw the look of horror on my starving graduate student face when she quoted the price of $79.00 per night. She named off some organizations and luckily I had an AMSA membership that discounted the room to $54.00. The room was clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was the best part. A little lady makes homemade waffles and stocks the breakfast room with plently of muffins, cereal, bagels, juices and yogurt. As I was teetering a waffle and some bananas to take back to my room, the waffle lady went into the back and got me a tray. She really takes pride in making sure her guests get a good breakfast. I have already booked another stay for my high school reunion next month.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank isidella
Reviewed May 31, 2007

We had stayed at this hotel in the past when it was under a different name and had a good experience. Decided to stay here again for a long weekend getaway.
Hotel is in a great location, extremely easy to get to, near interstate exit and some restaurants & shopping. Close to Royals, Arrowhead stadiums and zoo too.
The hotel is going through some renovations currently.
Our room faced the courtyard. It had a refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, ironing board/iron which are nice. Room was clean and spacious.
We had a good breakfast buffet, which was very well stocked by the lady on staff, who also made the waffles if you wanted them. She was very pleasant and friendly.

We ate at Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in Kansas and LC's BBQ in Missouri, both were excellent!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2004

We stayed here while attending the Billy Graham Crusade at Arrrowhead Stadium. The hotel is located 3 exits from the stadium and is very convenient to restuarants, etc. Service was good, however the morning breakfast was handled by one nice lady who was not only in charge of making waffles but keeping the small buffett stocked. In reading the other review, this seems like an ongoing problem that the hotel needs to address. It isn't the lady's fault, the hotel needs to give her some help. We would stay here again mostly because of price and location.

• Stayed: October 2004
1  Thank lbmollie11
Reviewed July 4, 2003

We decided to stay here because of the hotel's proximity to Kauffman Stadium, it's AAA 3 Diamond rating, and what seemed like a great deal my wife found on the internet. We arrived a little early, so I wasn't surprised we weren't able to check in right away, but I wasn't impressed by the desk clerks lack of...well--personality. When we were finally able to go to our room, I discovered there wasn't a remote for the TV. I called the front desk and asked for one and a couple extra pillows. An hour later I had to call again. A maintenance man showed up with the remote, but still no pillows. I mentioned it to him and he must have let housekeeping know, because we finally got our extra pillows almost 2 hours after I called! In the meantime, I found the remote he brought us didn't work. We took it back up to the front desk on our way out to dinner. The maintenance man was up there and said he would go back to our room and see what needed to be done to get it to work. I didn't feel completely comfortable having someone in our room while we were gone, but we didn't leave anything of value in there, so I said that would be OK and we went to dinner. When we returned the remote was working and I hoped that would be the last little aggravation.

I was wrong.

The next morning we went down to take advantage of the complimentary waffle breakfast, but they had only one very flustered older woman trying to keep the breakfast bar stocked and make waffles for all the guests. We gave up on this lost cause and went out to breakfast, then to a museum in downtown Kansas City. We returned around 2:00 PM only to find our room hadn't been cleaned yet. I called the front desk an hour later when we were leaving for the baseball game and was curtly told by the desk clerk that housekeeping was still cleaning the rooms. We went to the game (a double-header) and returned around 11:00 PM with my son joking that they "probably hadn't cleaned the room yet."

It was no joke.

I called the front desk and was informed that the manager on duty was walking the hotel. I asked that she call us as soon as she returned.
When she finally returned my call it became apparent that she didn't want to rectify things until the morning. I made it clear that wasn't going to be sufficient and she came up with a room they were "holding for someone else." We went to the front desk to exchange room keys and talk to her face-to-face. She knocked $25 off our bill, but it was too little, too late. We checked out a day early the next morning.
Fortunately, we were able to find a hotel that was adequately staffed with friendly people, so we didn't have to cut our trip short. It also restored my faith that the service of every place isn't deteriorating because they can't find good help.

7  Thank James K
BettyIndependence, manager at Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City I-70 East, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2009

We opened with a new owner and newly removated hotel in Feb 2009,