“Decent property”

Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City I-70 East
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed at the Quality Inn in august for a KC game. The property is dated and needs some renovations. The staff were nice and breakfast filling. We didn't swim in the pool as it was filthy. The price is right if you are looking for a place to sleep only and aren't picky about your accomodations. The location is nice and there is easy access to the football and baseball stadiums as well as historical areas of downtown. There is a Bandana BBQ across the parking lot and it has great BBQ.

Room Tip: Great location and lots of restrurants within walking distance.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City I-70 East

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed at the QIAS Independence over the weekend. Came to see the Dallas Cowboys play the Chiefs home opener. So hotel was full. Room was nonthing fancy but it was clean and nice. Location was excellent. Plenty of local stores and eateries within walking distance even.The breakfast is better than most hotels you will come across. Sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy. Staff was good although I didn't need them for much.Good quality hotel for price! So overall I'd recommend it. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were given a suite upon our late arrival. The room was clean and quite spacious. Small fridge was available in room which we did use.
Pleasant staff.
Usual breakfast choices..good.
Would consider staying here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sylvia D
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked through Choice Hotels and the problems started there. We try to get ground floor rooms and the person at Choice Hotels assured us we would have a ground floor. When we arrived there were none left. They finally put us in a room that was VERY far from the front desk. They were ver nice about letting us park in a convenient place and the front desk person was very nice. The room was simply run down. Paint peeling off the side of a closet, hole in the carpet right inside the door, bathtub dripping. It was suitable for our needs - shower, sleep and get back on the road but it does need updating.

Room Tip: Try to get close to the front desk. The hike to rooms like the higher numbers is unbelievable. And t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
qualityindependencek, Webmaster at Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City I-70 East, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear guest,

I’m glad you found the room we provided suitable, but your late arrival meant that you may not have gotten our best room. Since your stay, we have rechecked all rooms and refreshed those that needed it, so the maintenance problems you mentioned no longer exist. Our goal is 100 percent satisfaction, and we’re sorry that we missed the mark in your case. We look forward to making it up to you when you stay with us again.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was a late night find on a trip cross country. I experienced friendly staff, nice hallway carpet, and a clean room with a very cool air conditioner (nice.) There was in-room coffee and refrigerator. As a Choice Awards member, the price was a good value. For a cross country stop...I'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night because we are Choice Hotels members and because it is close to Kauffman Stadium where we attended a baseball game. There were a couple of positive things about the place: The front desk staff were friendly, and our room seemed pretty clean. On the negative side, the sheets on the bed really looked to me like they hadn't been washed since the last use. It was late at night when we got back to our room so I didn't call the desk about it. When checking out I told the desk clerk what I thought and her only comment was "Oh, really? I'll let them know." I wasn't really expecting or requesting any kind of refund, but I would hope they would look into this at some point. I had previously heard the front desk staff discussing one of the housekeepers who went home without cleaning one of her assigned rooms, so they may have a problem there. Also on the negative side, the hallways were extremely dirty, even a cigarette butt on the carpet, and all the windows around the pool area, etc. were filthy. This created a really bad impression. The overall feeling was one of neglect and an "I don't care" attitude on the part of management. We have stayed at other Quality Inns which have been fine, but we won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you're traveling on a weekday, don't get a room on the north side of the hotel There'...

Dear guest,

Since your stay, we have rechecked all rooms and made significant improvements, but we sincerely apologize that you found maintenance and cleanliness issues during your stay. We clearly missed the mark in your case and understand that you deserve better. Again, I’m very sorry we were anything less than the very best.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Really strong bathroom doors:

My wife locked herself in the bathroom and couldn't get out. At first, I wasn't sure what to think. She's pregnant with our first child and I don't know anything about this hormonal aspect that is always discussed. Perhaps they impair basic cognitive functions that are otherwise mundane routine (ie. Operating a doorknob).

Instead of accusing her of not understanding doorknob and door fucntions (implying stupidity which I already know is a no-no in relationships), I asked her to trial-and-error the locking mechanism. It was determined that it was definitely inoperable. My next option was to check if the door was wedged in a settling wall. That definitely wasn't it because I could feel the resistance from the doorjamb itself. I tried to trip the lock button from my side with a fingernail clipper only to notice the button which is slotted as if for a flat-head screwdriver had already showed evidence of previous tampering. The button had some warping and strike-marks from when someone may have had a similar predicament. I twisted and turned both the doorknob and button with no success.

I called the front-desk to inquire if they had any problems with the room before; they said no. A maintenance man was sent up to help. He tried to use a key, but it was operated by button and there was nowhere for the key to be used. I told him that wasn't going to work. He left and then came with a screwdriver. He tried what I already tried then left again for some alternative strategy.

The guy was nice and eager to help, but at this point I was annoyed. We had planned to already be headed to a waterpark and my wife started to sound a little shaky or panicked (hormones or claustrophobia?) Although I was calm, it was hard to convey that through the gap under a door. So I hit the door a bit with my hips. Wow. Good and sturdy structure. I hit it a couple more times more purposefully. Phew. Well-built. I told her to stand behind something sturdy in case it flew open. I then struck it meaningfully with my shoulder. Once I got mad enough the thing flew open and she was freed. I took the broken doorknob to the desk and they said “Sorry about that” while they handed me my bill for the room.

Room Tip: Don't lock the bathroom or keep a phone with you

Dear guest,

We don’t recall any doorknobs problems around the time of your stay, but we’re sorry if we fell short of your requirements in any way. Our goal is to provide the best combination of comfort and value, and if that was compromised in any way, I sincerely apologize. I hope you will stay with us again.