“Family cafe” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Independence, Missouri
“Family cafe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Food is decant and prices not bad. A local family place with little atmosphere and canned food not much really fresh. Pie is good though. Yes would recommend the pie.

Visited August 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Locals Only”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

The food was pretty good and the price/helping size ratio is definitely a selling point. But I'm with slikchik101 on this place. It makes you feed awkward the first time you walk in. There were plenty of staff hanging around, but one said "take a seat and we'll be right with you".

Once our waitress got to the table with the menus, she was actually lovely and the service was quick.

I will say this, the buzz about this 3 block living time capsule was on point. My mother and I felt like we had walked into the "whites only" side of the restaurant and some of the regulars would not stop giving us sideway glances. I guess we got some authenticity there.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lh_the3rd
Kansas City, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My family & friends love this place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

Back to basics with homemade down-home food, service & prices. We love this place- my kids included. It's the ONLY place locals repeatedly suggested to us when we were asking about good places to eat when we moved to the historic Englewood neighborhood. I'm saddened to read the other negative reviews on this site since this a genuine one-of-a-kind establishment.In fact, one of the locals secretly paid for my family's meal the second time we ate there around Christmas time. The people are great & it's one of the few places like this around anymore.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brooke M
Blue Springs, Missouri
“Good breakfast, Poor Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

Had a great omelet (it was huge) and my hubby had chicken fried steak and eggs (also huge.) But our service seriously was lacking.

Let me back up... We walk in the door and immediately get stared at by the regulars and I mean gawked at hard. We had no idea if we were to seat ourselves or wait so we just grabbed an empty booth so people would stop looking at us. Took the waitress quiet some time to even come by with menus or to get our drink orders.

Anyway we felt completely out of place here. Even though I would love to go back and try something else on there menu I just don't know if it's worth it.

Visited November 2011
“This place should really be closed.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Food was horrible.Service was even worse.Not even close to professonal.Cannot understand why it i still opened f