“Pretty good, above average”
Review of El Maguey - CLOSED

El Maguey
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We ate here because it was close to our hotel. The chips and salsa were ok...nothing special really. I had something that had grilled shrimp in it and it was very spicy, but good. Service was good and the margarita was also ok but not the best I've ever had. We had to ask for several things...like utensils...and later, asked for more salsa. I might go here again if staying nearby but I'm from an area that has lots of authenic mexican food so I'm probably spoiled.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The margaritas were very good! Chips and salsa were good. I tried the pork tamale, bean tostado and cheese enchilada. The bean tostado was great. Flavorless corn mesa in the tamale and I did not care for the pork seasoning. I love cheese enchiladas and it was one of the worst I have ever had. For me their red sauce tasted like tomato sauce. food in New Service and prices were good.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Pretty good food, and the service is always good. Love the big margaritas and the chips and salsa. Kids love to go here, and the prices are reasonable.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The food is very good. It is my spouses favorite Mexican restaurant in Independence.The location use to be an Italian place and it still feels that way. I do find that part to be a little different. Bottom line,it's about the food. It's good.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

All El Maguey restaurants are not the same. It depends on which one as to the quality. My favorite one is near 39th and Noland Road, but the one on 19700 E Valley View Pkwy is good as well. If you're expecting the Mexican food to look like at it does at the fake Mexican restaurants, you won't like it here. Your tomato will come sliced, your cheese white, and the chips will be among the best. Everyone gets his own bottle of salsa. I go back over and over, so I must like it.