“Crayon Keepers”

El Pico
Ranked #41 of 257 Restaurants in Independence
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Our first visit to El Pico was a huge disappointment. Me, my husband, and daughters stopped here for lunch. The chips were good, salsa was delish. We thought we had found our new favorite restaurant. However, as we were paying our $50 bill (with a generous tip), the waitress stopped my 3 year old daughter and let her know she would have to leave the 5 crayons she was given at the beginning of our visit. It was extremely upsetting for her, and embarrassing for us.
As I drove home, I became more and more upset about the episode, and decided to call the restaurant to let them know that their behavior was embarrassing and unacceptable. I thought, maybe the waitress is young and inexperienced, and this was not the restaurant's policy. I thought at the very least I would receive an apology. The manager told me that yes, it is their policy to take back the crayons at the end of a customer's visit, because "they are the only crayons the restaurant has". And, "We're sorry, what more do you want?" I did not feel that the tone used was apologetic at all. Rather, I felt it was a very annoyed tone. I was also told that I could not have contact with the owner or anyone above her.

So since I cannot have contact with the owner, I will leave this message to him or her in hopes that this policy will be changed, so future customers will not have the same experience.

Dear El Pico Owner,
You have lost a customer because of the above mentioned behavior on the part of your staff. Your food is fantastic, and your restaurant is charming. However, I cannot, in good conscience, give my money to a company that is willing to upset a toddler and embarrass a parent over .50 worth of crayons. We would have been great customers, and we would have recommended your business to other great customers.
Maybe this does not matter to you. I mean, we are only one family. You have only lost one customer so far due to this incident. You should know that we have a Saturday routine. We visit the farmers market, then we take our children to lunch. Our bill is in the $50 range. So, if we were to visit your restaurant twice a month, you have lost $100 per month in income. As a small business owner myself, I know that this makes a difference. Not to mention my big mouth, and the fact that I will tell all my family and friends and everyone who will listen about my experience today. So, other people who may have visited your establishment, may not now. Is .50 worth of crayons really worth it?

your former customer

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I came to El Pico because my friends have been talking a lot about their food, so I decided to give it a try! I was there I was looking at the menu and did not see the fajitas but right before we placed the order the server came and said that they have fajitas they just are not in the menu!! I had the chicken fajitas! There were the best!!! I recommend it to everybody!!!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stopped there on Veteran's Day, after we visited the Truman Presidential Library. It was convenient, and we decided we wanted to try it, for it is a new Mexican food restaurant on the Independence Square. It was all we expected, excellent food, at a very reasonable price. The authentic Spanish waitress even noticed our Veteran ribbons that we received at the Truman Library that morning, and offered us a 15% discount, even though we didn't ask for it.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had tried el pico months ago after they first opened. No one there but me. Ordered steak tacos once just ok. Nothing special. Second try was a chicken burrito. Totally dry no sauce. Paid extra for sour cream just a squiggle the size of a spaghetti noodle on top. Decided I was done.
Recently walking by at lunch and decided to try again. As they seemed to have a good lunch crowd. I ordered 2 chicken soft "authentic" tacos to go. WOW. Very good. They were small. But had good quality grilled chicken, fresh finely diced onion and cilantro on top. Ordered a side of sour cream.
For $1 a decent size small container. Plenty for 2 tacos. I had the choice of hot or mild sauce. I ordered the hot. Good and flavorful. They also included a small container of a creamy green cilantro sauce. LOVED IT! Seems to possibly be a turn around. I will be back for the tacos and maybe try a burrito again.

1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We enjoyed our meal at El Pico. The food was good and the staff very friendly. The menu was limited by the facility. They are moving soon to a new location about 1 block away. At the new location they will offer a more complete menu.