“Nothing special!”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: I-70 & Little Blue Parkway
Description: Hereford House is one of Kansas City's legendary steakhouses. Great food, casual atmosphere, superior service and reasonable prices. Voted Kansas City's Favorite Steakhouse!
Shawnee, Kansas
“Nothing special!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We went for lunch and the only thing i enjoyed was the wheat rolls and our waiter's service. The steak was tough, salad blah, and cheesecake small and very mediocre. Our waiter's service was very good. I thought Hereford House was supposed to be a higher end steak house, not so!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank CharlieKansasCity

Independence, Missouri
“original better”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Don't get me wrong. Hereford House is a good place to get a steak. The original that was downtown was much better. To bad it was lost to a fire.

Independence, Missouri
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have to say that the Hereford House isn't what it used to. Now that's not to say that it's bad. It's still good. The food is good and comforting--great steaks and mashed potatoes, great burgers. The food always pleases. Sometimes the service is not up to speed, and I've had to wait and wait to get a waitress or waiter to check on us or bring our food, and more than once, they've brought me something I didn't order or prepared a steak well done when I ordered medium rare. They've always apologized and taken care of it, but when that happens, it means you end up eating after anything with you is almost done. Still, I never give up on it. They have a great happy hour that provides some excellent options for reasonable prices and discounted wine and drinks. I stopped in over the holidays, and everything went smoothly, and the food was quite good.

kansas city
“Beautiful place!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Visited Hereford House in November with my daughter and loved the service and food! It is a great place for steak, but I love the salad and soup. Be sure to get the steak soup!!!

• Visited November 2013
WashingtonDC
“bland dishes from a freezer, what a disappointment”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My family and I went to Hereford House in Independence for Christmas Eve dinner, and overall, I'd say it was an average place with average food. Nothing special, but nothing totally bad.

For Christmas Eve, it wasn't as packed as you would think. We arrived and were seated promptly, so I guess that means they didn't have too many reservations either.

For what you get, the prices of the food are rather expensive. Some people had the coconut shrimp, which was a bit expensive at $26, and the coconut on the shrimp wasn't as flavorful as I'm used to. I'd say the shrimp came right from the freezer already breaded with coconut. That's a disappointment.

My partner and I opted for the set menu for two for $65, which, based on the prices for the individual dishes themselves, was a good deal. The shrimp appetizer was actually nicely displayed on two chunks of ice, and while I was rather impressed with the first dish, the further dishes were a bit of a disappointment. I had the Caesar salad, which was fine, but my partner's steak soup came out cold, and he switched it out for a salad.

The Kansas City strip was fine, but being in Kansas City, fine is just not okay. The prime rib that my partner had was a disappointment, and came overcooked and wasn't seasoned at all. It just wasn't that appetizing to look at, to be honest. The cheesecake dessert came right from the freezer, as was to be expected by this point in the meal.

Overall, I was say there is nothing special about Hereford House, and I wouldn't recommend a visit here. The service was adequate, but also, just like the food, nothing special.