“Hit and Miss”

Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: I-70 & Little Blue Parkway
Description: Hereford House is one of Kansas City's legendary steakhouses. Great food, casual atmosphere, superior service and reasonable prices. Voted Kansas City's Favorite Steakhouse!
Independence, Missouri
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have to say that the Hereford House isn't what it used to. Now that's not to say that it's bad. It's still good. The food is good and comforting--great steaks and mashed potatoes, great burgers. The food always pleases. Sometimes the service is not up to speed, and I've had to wait and wait to get a waitress or waiter to check on us or bring our food, and more than once, they've brought me something I didn't order or prepared a steak well done when I ordered medium rare. They've always apologized and taken care of it, but when that happens, it means you end up eating after anything with you is almost done. Still, I never give up on it. They have a great happy hour that provides some excellent options for reasonable prices and discounted wine and drinks. I stopped in over the holidays, and everything went smoothly, and the food was quite good.

kansas city
“Beautiful place!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Visited Hereford House in November with my daughter and loved the service and food! It is a great place for steak, but I love the salad and soup. Be sure to get the steak soup!!!

• Visited November 2013
WashingtonDC
“bland dishes from a freezer, what a disappointment”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My family and I went to Hereford House in Independence for Christmas Eve dinner, and overall, I'd say it was an average place with average food. Nothing special, but nothing totally bad.

For Christmas Eve, it wasn't as packed as you would think. We arrived and were seated promptly, so I guess that means they didn't have too many reservations either.

For what you get, the prices of the food are rather expensive. Some people had the coconut shrimp, which was a bit expensive at $26, and the coconut on the shrimp wasn't as flavorful as I'm used to. I'd say the shrimp came right from the freezer already breaded with coconut. That's a disappointment.

My partner and I opted for the set menu for two for $65, which, based on the prices for the individual dishes themselves, was a good deal. The shrimp appetizer was actually nicely displayed on two chunks of ice, and while I was rather impressed with the first dish, the further dishes were a bit of a disappointment. I had the Caesar salad, which was fine, but my partner's steak soup came out cold, and he switched it out for a salad.

The Kansas City strip was fine, but being in Kansas City, fine is just not okay. The prime rib that my partner had was a disappointment, and came overcooked and wasn't seasoned at all. It just wasn't that appetizing to look at, to be honest. The cheesecake dessert came right from the freezer, as was to be expected by this point in the meal.

Overall, I was say there is nothing special about Hereford House, and I wouldn't recommend a visit here. The service was adequate, but also, just like the food, nothing special.

Norborne
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I visited Hereford House in Independence for a holiday dinner out. I hade made online reservations, but we arrived early and they went ahead and seated us. Our server Andrew was wonderful and went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of and had everything we needed. Food was wonderful and served in a proper timely manner. Prime rib was cooked perfectly. The food was very good, but I think what set this visit off for us was the excellent service we received!

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Food just AVERAGE, Service rather SLOW, and prices HIGH”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We don't mind spending a lot on a great meal, so while passing through Kansas City on a cross country road trip we figured we would treat ourselves to a legendary "Kansas City Steak". The Hereford House had some literature in our hotel, and looked good on line with a few locations in town. We figured it looked like a decent local steakhouse chain and gave it a shot.

We went to the Independence location, which was fairly well attended and at least half appeared to be locals - so our hopes were high. Right away we became less enthusiastic as it took forever for a server to even great us after being seated, and drink orders took forever to come out. Once we finally were able to order our meals, though, the food came out pretty quickly. Unfortunately, there was really nothing special about our meal and the steaks, frankly, were on par with Longhorn or the like. We were expecting Morton's or Ruth's Chris quality (and paid for it), but got basically mid-grade steaks and average service.

• Visited December 2013
HerefordHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Hereford House, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write. Your service issues have been forwarded to all managers. It is a great lesson for service providers everywhere...if the first contact and response to a customer isn't quick and positive, the total experience suffers. We are sorry this was the case with you. Should you be back in the KC area, please let us know. We would welcome the chance to show you why the Hereford House has been a legendary steakhouse since 1957.