“Good food”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: I-70 & Little Blue Parkway
Description: Hereford House is one of Kansas City's legendary steakhouses. Great food, casual atmosphere, superior service and reasonable prices. Voted Kansas City's Favorite Steakhouse!
Reviewed April 22, 2013

If you like steaks, this is the place. If you are in the minority that like liver and onions, order it, you will not be dissapointed.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Hereford house is a great steak house that you can't go wrong eating at. It's a very well established restaurant that has wonderful food. We eat at this fine dinning when ever we are in Independence. This week we both had grilled prime rib and it was fantastic. The choices from the menu are very large and no matter what you order you will be happy. Their salads are fresh and really good. The baked potato is baked in the oven and not microwaved so it's really loaded and great. You will get full portions so if your not ready for a big meal try sharing.
The bar area is super. Fun for a nice happy hour and meeting friends for a drink. The liquor inventory is WOW GREAT. I'm a bourbon drinker and they had probably 20 different choices.
So if your looking for a really good steak and good service, our waiter Cooper was terrific, be sure to try the Hereford House. This is an old traditional steak house not your rush you trough chains that are all over now.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Both our steaks were a bit underdone so had to send them back. Not the servers fault we just hate when the cook can't get your steak done right the first time around especially for a place like Hereford House. But other than that it was a great meal and great service. I would recommend this place.
Even though I had steak this time, I would have to say that the BBQ chicken & the mashed potatoes are my favorite at Hereford House. :-)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have been to the Hereford House many times and have never been disappointed. While the dining room is very nice, we prefer the bar or tack room. The happy hour menu is great and they are generous with the alcohol in their drinks. Andrea and Leslie are fabulous bartenders and make the experience truly relaxing. Best of all is that they treat everyone like family and the food is very good and at a reasonable price. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant many times. It isn't cheap, but if you taste the filet mignon cooked medium rare it melts in your mouth and has the texture of what I imagine velvet must feel like in your mouth! Their loaded baked potato soup is exquisite - it tastes unbelievable. In addition to their regular dinner menu they have an early dining menu Monday - Saturday from 3 - 5:30. On that menu you should try the beef medallions wrapped in bacon - they are great for $17.95 including a house salad or cup of soup. I usually go with a friend and order the dining for two menu (available all day) for $65 and includes an appetizer (to share), a cup of soup or salad each, a main course each (with plenty of meats to choose from) and a dessert to share. The reason that I rated this restaurant as four stars rather than five is that on two occasions (of about 15 visits) our steaks were overcooked and instead of medium rare were medium or even well done. When we cut it open and let the waiter know they prepared new steaks and brought these out and they were cooked as requested. I guess you cant always get a steak right every time! Also, I have only ever ordered the filet mignon or the beef medallions wrapped in bacon and besides the two mishaps with the steaks being overcooked have been delighted every time. My boyfriend has been to Hereford House twice with me and on one occasion he ordered the KC Strip steak and on another time a different type of steak, I think a ribeye. He wasn't impressed with his steaks on either occasion and, on tasting them, I agreed with him that they were just average - they weren't amazing. I think he should have listened to me and ordered the filet but nevertheless he isn't a big fan of Hereford House and says he could cook a steak at home that was just as good. While that may be true for the other steaks, for the filet mignon it can't be beat! The appetizers and desserts as well as their salads (especially their thousand island dressing which is a firm favorite of my dad) and soups and desserts. I would highly recommend you give this place a try though if you love steak do yourself a favor and order the filet mignon medium rare and I am sure you will not be disappointed! Also, service is always very good. Enjoy!