“Boring Bland”

El Maguey
Ranked #176 of 257 Restaurants in Independence
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 12, 2014

El Maguey has been a long time restaurant in Independence and I hate to give them an "average" rating, but that is all they deserve.

Boring, bland, typical Mexican.

If you don't even turn out a good taco and enchilada!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

every time my family ate there my entire family became ill, with gastritis.We just think the food is poor.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stopped by this restaurant on our way home from a long trip. We needed a chance to sit down and eat and rest a bit before getting back on the road.

Two things stand out from this experience: the service and the fish tacos. It wasn't very busy on the afternoon we visited and we were seated very quickly. The wait staff were very nice and attentive.

When we entered they had a flyer of a QR code indicating we could get the daily special if we scanned the code. Of course I tried it and saw that the special was fish tacos. Well, I love fish tacos. So, I tried them.

The chips and salsa they brought to the table were good, but nothing special. Luckily Karen noticed that a second serving would be an additional buck fifty, so we passed.

After a short wait, they brought everything but the fish tacos. Then, another five minutes later, the 3 tacos arrived individually wrapped in foil and arranged neatly on the plate. That was odd.

I also got a dish of sauce and another of pico. The sauce was a spicy and creamy. Combined with the pico and hot fish, it made for a very tasty taco.

The ambiance left a lot to be desired, but nothing different than many other chain restaurants. Lots of mexican-themed posters and photos.

The only real negative was that I had to wait at the cash register for at least five minutes before someone came out from the kitchen and noticed three of us in line. They were apologetic and nice about it though.

I'd go again, but wouldn't drive out of my way.

1  Thank Claybow
Reviewed August 1, 2011

It is hard to say anything negative about a place where the service is so good and the wait staff so pleasant. However, being from Texas and constantly spoiled by great Tex-Mex fare, the enchiladas seemed very under-dressed and blah. However, the hot sauce and chips were slightly above average, even compared to those at the best Texas joints, The drinks are tops and the atmosphere is average. All said, if you can't visit El Paso, San Antonio, or Lubbock, it's "mejor que nada" (better than nothing...).

Reviewed November 24, 2009

It's ok. Fast and good. Nothing special, but that's not what their about.