Review of Smokehouse BBQ

Smokehouse BBQ
Ranked #7 of 249 Restaurants in Independence
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This place does get crowded. It is very good. The Ribs and fries are great. Also get the Beans very tasty. The super crispy sandwich is also awesome. Great tasting sauce.Have been coming to this place a long time and it is always good.

Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We wanted to try a different bbq place from our normal routine and found this one. We were quite impressed with the selection on the menu compared to the same places we like and the prices were comparable as well. Good service and good food!

Bentonville, Arkansas
“Big BBQ in the Big Town of BBQ”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Passing through one of the great BBQ capitals in the US (Kansas City), I stopped for lunch at Smokehouse BBQ in Independence to try something different for a change. Yes, I have been to every major Kansas City BBQ establishment and enjoy returning to them from time to time. It is always nice to try something new and discover great BBQ along the way. Hence, Smokehouse BBQ falls in that category. I was completely taken surprise by the quality food, value, service, menu, and environment in which it operates in.

The Food: I ordered the BBQ Combo plate with sliced sausage and beef burnt ends. My sides were baked beans and cheesy corn ( a KC side item you don't find anywhere else) that were accompanied by Texas Toast. The beef burnt ends were amazing! Cut into decent size cubes, they had a nice bark on the outside with plenty of smokiness and moisture on the inside. They were seasoned right. The sliced sausage was sliced thinly and tasted good. I am not a baked beans fan but decided to give them a try. I was shocked at home much I liked them. They had little bits of meat, a sweet flavor in the sauce, and a touch of smokiness to them. The cheesy corn had a nice balance of corn and cheesy flavor without feeling like you were eating soup.

The Menu and Value: Smokehouse BBQ has a nice size menu to choose things from and the value for the portions you get are great.

The Service: The service was excellent. My tea glass was filled repeatedly, employees were engaging, and food arrival was prompt.

The Restaurant Environment: When you first walk in, you think you are eating at an Italian restaurant. This place does not look like your run-of-the-mill KC BBQ joint. At that time you realize you are in a BBQ restaurant because the aroma of BBQ smoking filters through the entire restaurant. That hook is what some restaurants are missing but not Smokehouse BBQ.

For a quick stop over, Smokehouse BBQ delivered beyond my expectations. As a person who seeks out great/exceptional BBQ, this one surprised me. It is big-time BBQ in the Big BBQ town! Great job Smokehouse!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great ribs”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We visited the restaurant while staying at a nearby hotel. We drove down to see the Royals play. The place is crowded, reflecting its popularity. There were a number of family groups there. The ribs are outstanding. The prices are reasonable, the help is friendly, and the restaurant is located across from a major shopping center.

• Visited April 2013
Carmel, Indiana
“Outstanding Kansas City BBQ!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

BURNT ENDS! BEANS! RIBS! CHEESY CORN! I've been eating at the Smokehouse since it was on 7 Highway in Blue Springs and can say it is certainly one of the best restaurants in the world! It is Kansas City BBQ at its best...but I will focus on two of its delicacies...the burnt ends are well-done chunks of the brisket ends, cooked in Smokehouse sauce. They are tender, juicy and delicious! I would not eat at Smokehouse without at least getting an appetizer order of these little gems. My other favorite is the Hickory Pit Beans. The first time I went to Smokehouse around 1992, my friend said YA GOTTA TRY THE BEANS...and our waitress Rhonda explained they are so good because "we set the big bean pots in the smoker ovens under the roasting meat and all of the juice and fat run down in there and cook into the beans." Not sure they still do it that way but DAMN those are some good beans...and I don't even like beans!

My kids love the CHEESY CORN!

I moved from KC years ago but still make it a point to go the the Independence Smokehouse several times a year. I always stop on the way out to say hello/goodbye to the pig in the hammock displayed behind the cash register. He's my old buddy!

I don't think there are any bad BBQ joints in Kansas City, but this is definitely one of the best!

ENJOY!