“amazing great new place”
Review of Vivilore

Vivilore
Ranked #6 of 257 Restaurants in Independence
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had a wonderful night at my first wine tasting at Vivilore. The ambiance was wonderful! For the price, I couldnt have asked for more! Lovely staff and on the minute service! I have already made my next resv!!!!!

5  Thank Yentihw784619

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Expensive and attractively presented but not particulary great food. Poor table service. Good wine list. Nice garden in back. Antiques upstairs. I hope they get the food and service issues straightened out, as it is nice to have relaxed upscale dining in Independence.

3  Thank Glenn H
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Even if the food wasn't good (it was - especially the salmon), the ambience of this place would more than make up for any shortcomings. The wine list covers a good range of wines and prices. We did not have any appetizers, we saved ourselves for the desserts - both of which were very good and are made on-site. Our waitress was accomodating and although not as knowledgable as she might have been, made up for it with a great attitude and good service. This is a destination - plan your trip soon!

5  Thank JLCLJC
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I had heard good things about the restaurant and they all seem to be true. I had heard expensive but the entrees ranged from $15 for the vegetarian entree to $32 and that includes soup or salad so that is pretty typical of a nice restaurant. The beer cheese soup was excellent. I had the Shrimp Pasta Vera Cruz which had interesting flavors and enough for a couple more meals for me. My husband did the swordfish special which he really enjoyed. Doggie box for him as well. We will go again soon. Our waitress was a family friend that we hadn't seen for several years which helped make the evening special.

9  Thank soc5mom1
Reviewed October 10, 2012

What a delightful find in Independence, MO. Wonderful food, careful, attentive, and expert service, plus the beautifully decorated historic and artistic look makes this a gem for dining. The restaurant, owned and operated by a brother and sister team has catapulted to the head of my "must visit" list every time I go to Independence. The menu has something to appeal to everyone and the atmosphere is just over the top.

We started with the appetizers of Coquille St. Jacques (scallops), Grilled Portobello Napolean, and Mini Lobster Rolls. In order of preference, go with the Mini Lobster Rolls...an absolute gastronomic pleasure. Follow that by the Coquille St. Jacques, a very delicate and delightfully prepared dish. The Grilled Portobello Napolean was good, but not in the same class as the other two appetizers.

We sampled the Pan Seared Season Fish which that evening was Halibut. The Halibut was mild and delicate in flavor. The garlic mashers really set the dish off. The Pacific Coast Wild Salmon was a work of art. I loved the look of the plate and the beautiful fall colors. It was really yummy too. The Herb Crusted Beef Tenderloin was fantastic but warning...it is not just a steak on a plate. It is prepared with mushrooms in a brandy cream sauce.

The wine list was good and I was pleased that I didn't feel like I was being charged an arm and a leg just for wanting a bottle of wine served at dinner.

Now about the atmosphere...the first floor is divided into three intimate dining spaces and a bar with several large murals for the space, including one of Lady Agnew of Lochnaw by John Singer Sargent (recreated by a local artist). For outdoor seating, customers can walk down a hallway — passing by the kitchen for a peek inside — and out the back door to a brick courtyard with lush landscaping, cabana and a guest cottage that is now a retail area for collectibles. On the second and third floor of the main building are antiques and an art gallery.

For that special occasion or just the desire to have really great food in a really great place, then head on out the door to Vivilore.

9  Thank Kacee25