“Pleasant place, good value!”

Higher Ground Hotel
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I'm glad I booked into this hotel for two nights recently. The main reason was the location, in the heart of Independence where I wanted to visit the Truman library and other sites. The good reviews here on TA were also helpful. Check-in was easy. The proprietors were friendly.

It's a unique hotel, and I like that. As other reviews have noted, the building was converted into a hotel from a prior use (offices? some other kind of accommodations?). It works well as a hotel. If I'd stayed longer I'm sure I would have used one of the lounge/sitting areas. I did use the coin laundry machines in the basement, which I appreciated having on site.

My room (I think it was 310) had large windows overlooking the attractive private hotel garden. Sadly, the weather went from gloomy to heavy rain during my stay so I didn't have a chance to explore the garden myself. My room was very spacious and had all the amenities I expected. A surprise bonus: lots of channels on the TV in my room, many more than the hotel room standard. Another pleasant thing: a Keurig coffeemaker in the room with plenty of K-cups.

Parking was convenient, and I appreciated the access code controls on the building entry doors.

The whole place seems very clean, and the owners' pride of ownership is obvious. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have skylights but not windows. Room 310 has big windows with a view of the garden.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed June 19, 2014

This hotel is very near the courthouse square and the Truman Library, very convenient. I choose it because of the affordability, but found the convenience was great. I was a short drive to downtown Kansas City where I visited Union Station, and equally close to Lees Summit where I met with family. The building is a converted events center so it has a slight flavor of a Christian kids camp construction. The hardware, showers, carpet, paint are all new, so the building has a "new" feeling about it. Even has a Koureg coffee machine, very upscale! They had free breakfast but I slept in too late to participate. Staff makes you feel right at home.

Room Tip: Ask for specifics as each room has a different type of bed and associated cost.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Higher Ground Hotel is a fine and affordable option for accommodations in Independence, MO. The hotel building was once a set of offices, as well as a religious retreat. The rooms are simple, but comfortable – providing most of the expected basic amenities for its guests. The innkeepers are a passionate and cheery bunch – I wish I could have had more time to speak with them! Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

This is a good spot for Truman fans as it's an easy walk to the museum and across the street from his house. It's also close to KC.
The hotel is clean and accommodating. The breakfast is standard continental, does the job.
I agree with the other post though, turn off the Fox News. It's annoying even in the background. The coffee is great and we had 2 bars of soap in the bathroom :)

2  Thank KMcK7
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed here for four nights and were ver pleased. The hotel was very clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the decor fun. Parking and wi-if were free, and there was a free breakfast. Great value for money. Addressing some points made by other reviewers, yes, the amenities are minimal, and there could have been soap for both the tub and sink, but we found that acceptable considering the price. When breakfast is served between given hours, you really can't go down at (or after!) closing time and expect to eat. And to say that highway chain hotels can be found at half the price is ludicrous! The only reason I'm not giving the hotel five stars is the annoying Fox News every morning at breakfast. Suggestions: turn off the TV unless asked (I noticed that almost no one watched it -- most people were actually talking to each other!) or, ideally, put on a local morning show (or weather channel) without a political agenda that includes local weather and traffic reports, which would be of value to many guests. Or even put on different stations each morning.

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

This is a really great place, right in the middle of all the Truman sites! No fancy or standard hotel facade, but inside it is truly unique. It has the personal atmosphere of a B&B, great, clean and very comfortable rooms, as well as "sitting/reading areas" to relax! Neat Victorian area to walk about, the neighborhood of the Trumans. Breakfast was much more than the continental listed. After 11 days on the road, this was the best place we stayed!! Highly recommend!!!

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for three nights while in town for my niece's graduation. Extremely clean hotel in the middle of the quaint town of Independence, Mo. Staff was friendly and hardworking. Breakfast was ok, but when they ran out of the "hot" item, they would make more when requested. Hotel had a couple of common sitting rooms you could go and relax, read a book. They also had movies you could checkout and free popcorn for evenings in. I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Interior rooms on the 3rd floor has huge skylights
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family