“Fun with Frances” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jail, Marshal's Home & Museum

Jail, Marshal's Home & Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Jail built in 1859, and operated as a county jail until 1933. The infamous Frank James was incarcerated here. Learn about the evolution of justice on the Missouri frontier.
Texas
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Fun with Frances”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

I wasn't expecting much when we visited the 1859 Jail, but it was next to the Truman Home visitor center so we went in. An amazing woman named Frances greeted us and gave us an incredible history lesson. It was like she lived back then and knew Frank James personally. I think I learned more history of that time period than in all my school years. So the exhibits and letters and pictures were more interesting. I'm glad I didn't break the law back then after seeing the jail cells. Frances also told us how a local teacher brings her class to the old schoolhouse for lessons each year. What fun! I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the jail nearly as much if she hadn't been there.

1 Thank Charleytoo

Ogden
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Interesting history - great old home & jail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

We bought the combo ticket with other historic sites and are glad we saw this one. It had a historic old jail (you rarely see that) and attached marshal's home. It was very interesting and didn't take long to see.

Independence
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Independence square”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I like the history. The tour-guide was very knowledgeable.

Fayetteville, AR
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Frank James”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Interesting story about the James Younger gang. I didn’t know Frank James was acquitted after his stay in this jail. Neat story about the General Order 11 as well. Neat quick diversion, had fun.

Pleasant Hill, Missouri
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

This was really a fun experience on a day when we were looking for something a little different. The sheriff was a lot of fun and we really enjoyed ourselves. The horse and buggy ride was also fun.

Visited October 2011