“Large rooms--due for an update”

Residence Inn Kansas City Independence
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

The service here was good--everyone was friendly and seemed to enjoy visiting with the guests.

The rooms are very large and quiet,and include a full-size refrigerator, a dishwasher, microwave, and a 2-burner stove (no oven). The set-up is sensible and roomy. We enjoyed the fireplace. The kitchen area is updated with a modern countertop and wood flooring. The bathroom countertop is also modern. Some of the decor is modern but some is not. The bed is very comfortable and we slept well all 5 nights we were there. The rooms are in need of some maintenance and updating. They weren't deal-breakers for us but there are some issues that need to be addressed--several small holes in the curtains, a buzzing bathroom light, and a squealing shower. The carpet needs replacing or a good shampoo, too.

We will most likely choose to stay here again if the price is right. The rate we received was good for us, as was the size of the room. However, I would not want to pay full price for this Residence Inn.

• Stayed: April 2014
ResidenceInnDMD, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

We sincerely appreciate your review of your stay with us. We strive to please every person who visits our hotel, and we sincerely appreciate your time. While our hotel is in the process of updating our facility, we believe we offer an mazing value and fantastic service to the guests who choose to stay with us while traveling in the Kansas City area. Our sport court, indoor pool, fitness center, business area and free manager's receptions offer our guests the opportunity to stretch out for longer stays. Please feel free to contact us the next time you come through the Independence area and we will be happy to assist you again!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My daughter and I stayed in a king room on the third floor. The room was quiet and very clean. Breakfast was good and the staff for the food was very polite and ambitious. We would stay there again if we were in the area. No problems with parking. Pool and exercise room looked nice but we did not use them.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
ResidenceInnDMD, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

We are so glad that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay. While you were unable to use the pool, the weather is warming up and our pool opens directly to our outdoor basketball court. When you come through Kansas City or Independence next time, feel free to take advantage of our amenties. Safe travels!

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I, personally have worked at a Marriott Hotel. I received many compliments for my service and have stayed with my employee discount at other Marriott's. I must say out of all the Marriott's I've stayed at, by far this one was the best. Every employee we talked to, saw in the hall or wherever was very polite, friendly, just made you feel you were special. It reminded me of the compliments I received myself. The whole staff was wonderful and I couldn't even say that about the hotel I worked for.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank sogladtogettogether

Thank you so much for your kind review! One of the reason people keep coming back to visit us while looking for hotels in the Kansas City area is our kind and warm staff. Our mission is to provide you with service so memorable that you will tell stories about it, and we thank you for sharing your thoughts with the Trip Advisor community. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My family and I recently visited KC to take our small children on a little vacation. We opted to stay in a "family friendly" hotel. The location was easy to find and lots of shopping and restaurants however we should have gone with our first choice--and not this hotel. We chose this hotel because it had a kitchenette and traveling with our baby and 6 yr old, we thought we'd need the space. Boy, we were wrong! This hotel needs some major fixing up!
1. Carpet/flooring in kitchen/living room and also along bathroom (by the door) coming up. We called for Ft Desk/ maintenance (because we tripped over it) and no one ever showed. We were told front desk "put us on the list" and on the second day, that "there is only one guy". No one followed up or showed during our stay. We had two small children tripping over the area several times. We thought about just checking out early or going to Home Depot for duck tape.
2. There was a cracked window in the living room.
3. The bathroom inside door had scratches along the inside frame, and door, from a dog that was probably locked inside from another guest. It is a dog friendly hotel, but it looked like a quick paint job fix. The tub was so sandpaper/rough we had to purchase a bath mat at Wal Mart, so our 1 yr old and 6 yr old could sit in the tub to bathe. Our 6 yr old accidentally, locked the door to the bathroom one morning, and we were told by the guy who came to our room with the key, to maybe just "try a butter knife" to unlock if it ever happens again.
4. We made the hide a bed for our 6yr old. It was grimy and had a stain on the mattress. The extra blanket/slipcover for the hide a bed had dog hair.
5. The rate charged for our room upon check in was not a AAA rate (how we booked online). The front desk agent charged our card a higher (regular) rate. We had to call down to make sure they had the correct AAA rate, because they did not ask for a # or ID. They advised they had the AAA rate, but after check out, we still showed a much higher pending rate on our credit card. They had to adjust the rate several days after check out after we called. So the receipt said AAA rate, but our CC was charged higher and not advised of such.
All in all, the staff seemed friendly and it was a quiet hotel. We will stay somewhere else our next trip to KC due to safety/cleanliness issues of this property.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank SavyTravelAgentMom
ResidenceInnDMD, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

We appreciate your thoughts on your recent stay to our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the issues you faced during your time with us! Our main goal is to make sure that every guest that enters our building feels as if the value, safety, and service provided by our team is worthy of your business. I sincerely apologize that we fell short of that mark for your family.

Please feel free to contact me during your next stay in the Kansas City area. I promise that my staff and I will earn your business back and help you have a fantastic stay at our hotel!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I was very impressed with this place. Since we were traveling with two small children, we opted for a suite, which was a wise choice. There is a door separating the bedroom from the living area, so it was easy for my wife and I to stay up later after the kids went to bed and not worry about waking them up. The kitchen area had a full-sized refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, pots and pans, plates, utensils, etc., so this would be a very good place for a business traveler who had to stay for an extended amount of time.

The free breakfast is a nice bonus, and there is a great selection (eggs, sausage, bagels, cereal, toast, yogurt, muffins), so you won't leave hungry.

I also like the location. It's close to I-70, so it would be a very good choice if attending a Royals or Chiefs game. It's about a 20-minute drive from downtown KC, which wasn't bad at all. Plenty of shopping and restaurants in the immediate area (Smokehouse BBQ across the street--yum!), including several within walking distance.

In short, I was very pleased with this place and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Get the suite if you have kids. It didn't cost much more than a regular room, yet had a lot mor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community.Our rooms are much larger than the standard hotel room, and it allows "beathing room" when you travel with your family to the Independence area. Safe travels!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

A friend and I were on a road trip and rented a two bedroom room. It was very spacious and the layout was that each bedroom and each bathroom were separated by the kitchen and lounge area. We had a lot of privacy. I will look into renting two bedrooms at Residence Inns in the future when traveling on a guy trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
ResidenceInnDMD, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location allows guests to have quick access to Arrowhead Stadium, Kaufman Stadium, and the local shopping and resturants in the area. Please feel free to call us the next time you travel through Kansas City and we would be happy to assist you!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a campus visit nearby. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, they even provided menus for nearby food delivery places, and made copies of school papers. My room was very clean, and I loved that it was a suite so I could close off the sleeping area when others came to visit. One thing that made me a bit sad was that the texture on the bottom of the bath tub was so rough it was uncomfortable; if I can't soak in the tub, then make it a shower. I was also a bit disappointed that there was no hot tub to relax in, and the evening "reception" was unimpressive (very small selection and no alcoholic beverages like a popular competitor) and was only available for 2 of the nights I was there (it's only available 3 nights a week, at least during the timeframe I visited).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
ResidenceInnDMD, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel! We truly appreciate your thoughts of your stay with us, especially about our manager's reception. While we dont have a hot tub, our heated, indoor pool allows our guests to swim year round. Please join us again the next time you are in the area, and have safe travels!