“An Accidental President with a Fateful Presidency”

Harry S. Truman Library and Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Exhibits and archives relating to Truman's life and administration.
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My Sweetheart and I emerged from the Truman Library and Museum much better informed about Truman, the burdens and challenges of his presidency, and the period in which he lived. The historical exhibits on the main floor were well displayed, with plenty of explanatory captions testifying to the different opinions Truman's presidency evoked. With a presidency that included the atom bomb, the end of World War II, the economic turmoil of the nation's conversion to peacetime, and the beginning of the Korean War, those years put huge demands on the Chief Executive, especially one who had to deal with an earlier "do nothing" congress. The exhibit in the lower floor took visitors through Truman's earlier life and it, too, was highly informative.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

A well organized set of exhibits. Love that the working office was left as he had it so one gets a sense of his real style and work habits. The presentations flowed nicely. A good mix of information on President Truman and the times he lived in.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I will admit that I didn't know much about Truman before my visit. However, after spending a few hours at the Library, I feel like I know a lot more about him, and history in general. The exhibits here are so well put together, that it's easy to linger and really get a lot of information in an interesting and engaging way. It was fascinating to learn not only about Truman, but about some of the events that happened during his administration. After visiting the Library, I wouldn't mind reading more about him now.

Really a great place to visit!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We found ourselves in KC visiting family for a short visit and had some time to explore. Well everyone said we should visit Truman's Library so we did. Very interesting. Lots of history and well worth the visit. Learned a lot about one of the more humble presidents we were fortunate enough to have. Unfortunately we spent so much time here (you can and should do this) we weren't able to tour the home. We did manage to stop at the soda shop on our way out of town.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Excellent museum tracing the life and times of the Truman's life in Missouri and Washington DC. Only drawback is limited parking and a long walk to the Museum from the parking lot.