“OK, but not inclined to return or recommend”

Best Western Truman Inn
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Martinez, CA
“OK, but not inclined to return or recommend”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We booked this Best Western for a night because of its proximity to the Truman Presidential Library & Museum, about 3 miles away, as one of many stops on a two week road trip.

When we arrived, our first impression was that we had somehow made a navigation error and stumbled upon a recently closed facility. A closer look, revealed that the place was, in fact, open but undergoing some work.

The struggling shrubs among the shredded wood dyed red & peppered with cigarette butts that posed as landscaping was off-putting as well.

Lady at the check-in desk was efficient but matter-of-fact in demeanor. The room was smallish and the apparent efforts at "renovation" somewhat puzzling. There were new furniture and counter tops and fixtures mixed with an old chipped bath tub, old doors and frames, and a patchwork of new and ancient wall & ceiling material. The recent carpet already had some significant stains. Why they installed new furniture built to accommodate a refrigerator and microwave, when those appliances were housed in a separate spot built for them, was beyond me.

Bedding was comfortable, however, and, except for a Harley rider circling the parking lot at about 3:00 am, the area was quiet. Except for the aforementioned carpet stains, the room appeared reasonably clean. Wi-Fi, television, plumbing, and climate control were all in good working order.

The breakfast area had the appearance of still being under construction and the only hot food readily apparent was a pancake machine, so we skipped the "freebie" and went across the street to Denny's.

It's not likely we'll have occasion to return to Independence, but if we do, we'll probably plan on spending a little more and driving a little father to a different place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
DaveParmar, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Truman Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
I regret to discover that you weren't thoroughly impressed with our accommodations and services during your most recent stay. Your words mean a lot to us and will help us to recognize our strengths and weaknesses during the renovation process. Thank you for sharing your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We needed a room for one night and stopped at Best Western. I was hesitant to stay here due to remodeling but I am so glad we did. We found the room to be clean and the remodel looked great. The beds were super comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone needing a room in Independence.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank peanutsmom654
DaveParmar, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Truman Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
We are so glad to hear from you and to learn that we were able to give you a pleasant experience. It is so rewarding to learn of your five star experience at our hotel! Thank you for your feedback!
Camdenton, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I found the accomodations to be very good in the midst of a signficant facelift to the breakfast and office area. The room and bed were clean and furniture brand new. Strong and free internet access. Easy access to freeway. A good number of fast food and resturants nearby plus grocery stores.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

It is rewarding to hear that we have succeeded in making you feel at home and that you experienced no difficulties with our services or amenities. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, our high standards of housekeeping and our friendly and welcoming staff. We thank you for your loyalty and look forward to serving you again in the future!
Anchorage
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We just stayed her one night. It was quieter than we expected as it's near a busy freeway. The room had been recently remodeled. Every surface, furniture and TV was new. Our only complaint was that the room was really small. Front desk was helpful and our stay was good. I am not sure we would stay here again because the room was so tiny but if the rate was good I'd go for it.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the side that does not face the freeway
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
DaveParmar, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Truman Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments and review regarding our high standards of cleanliness and hospitality. I do apologize that you felt cramped in your room, though I am glad you found the room to be clean and comfortable. On behalf of our entire staff, we thank you for choosing our hotel and hope you will let us serve you again.
Everett
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had to take an emergency trip for my grandmother's end days and quickly had to book a hotel room. Upon arrival, I was not sure that I was going to like this hotel. It looks a bit dated from the outside and I've never been a fan of hotels with outside entrances. I did not have high hopes for our trip. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised by this experience.

I made sure the front desk staff knew that our length of stay was unknown and they were happy to help us cut it short or extend it, as needed. When we needed to add extra days, we were given an even better rate than we originally checked in for.

Every person I've dealt with at the hotel has been kind, accommodating, and friendly. I have felt taken care of and never felt anything other than efficient service.

There are renovations going on that can be a bit noisy at times but the hotel is trying to make themselves better so I am happy to be understanding. Our room had recently been updated and the bed is super comfortable. There is a slight smoke smell, as this room must have been a smoking room once upon a time, but it hasn't been too oppressive.

The only real thing that I wish had been different is that the hotel has a laundry room but does not sell laundry soap. I had to go to K-Mart and buy a bag of detergent, when I only needed to do one washing. If I could suggest any improvement, this would be.

Overall, this stay has just been the best that it could have been for the circumstances we're here for. Even when a room isn't a 5-star room, good, friendly hotel staff go a long way in helping make the experience better. Thank you, Best Western!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen M
It is wonderful to hear from you! Thank you for sharing your experience and for pointing out the efforts of our staff to treat you like family and make you feel at home! I can't begin to tell you what it means to us to hear from guests like yourself who found our accommodations and services to be so welcoming and convenient in a time of need. I am happy that we were able to help you and support you during such a difficult and trying experience. I have shared your compliments with our staff and thank you for giving me the opportunity to recognize them for a job well done!
Evanston, United States
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Upon check-out, the lady handling the front desk didn't look at me other to acknowledge that I had walked into the lobby. I told her what room I was settling my bill for. She immediately resumed the personal phone call she was on while she did my paperwork. She placed my receipt on the counter and still without looking up at me, did not ask me how was my stay, thank me for choosing their hotel -- NOTHING. She stayed on the phone chatting with her friend/relative the entire transaction. I found this experience to be rude and unpleasant. I will never stay there again.

OTHER: Hotel undergoing renovation. We drove around the complex several times before we figured out where the entrance was. Expect to be awakened by noisy work crews.

At least our room was new and clean, that was the only positive about this hotel. I didn't realize at time of booking the reservation that this was the type of hotel where you enter your room from outdoors. I didn't feel safe. I was ever conscience of people walking by and getting in and out of their cars outside my door.

Room Tip: Higher floor probably less noisy than ground level floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debra W
DaveParmar, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Truman Inn, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
I am so sorry to hear that your most recent stay with us did not meet your expectations of quality service, accommodations and hospitality. We want you to feel at home, welcomed and safe within a clean environment. Your feedback will help us to grow and evolve and I thank you for taking the time to write an insightful review and to point out areas in need of improvement.
Reviewed May 13, 2014

outside lightning was bad room smelled sink wouldn't drain fan in bathroom made loud noise almost fell on stairs because of poor lightning restuarant was ok check out was very slow even if it was 6:30 AM on and on and on

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank 665larry0
DaveParmar, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Truman Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience and comments regarding your stay in our hotel. It is our highest ambition to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests and your voice is importance to us. Your feedback will help us to grow and evolve and I thank you again for taking the time to write an insightful review and to point out areas in need of improvement.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City
#4 of 18 in Independence
Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City I-70 East
Super 8 Independence Kansas City
Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Stadium

Been to Best Western Truman Inn? Share your experiences!