We booked this Best Western for a night because of its proximity to the Truman Presidential Library & Museum, about 3 miles away, as one of many stops on a two week road trip.
When we arrived, our first impression was that we had somehow made a navigation error and stumbled upon a recently closed facility. A closer look, revealed that the place was, in fact, open but undergoing some work.
The struggling shrubs among the shredded wood dyed red & peppered with cigarette butts that posed as landscaping was off-putting as well.
Lady at the check-in desk was efficient but matter-of-fact in demeanor. The room was smallish and the apparent efforts at "renovation" somewhat puzzling. There were new furniture and counter tops and fixtures mixed with an old chipped bath tub, old doors and frames, and a patchwork of new and ancient wall & ceiling material. The recent carpet already had some significant stains. Why they installed new furniture built to accommodate a refrigerator and microwave, when those appliances were housed in a separate spot built for them, was beyond me.
Bedding was comfortable, however, and, except for a Harley rider circling the parking lot at about 3:00 am, the area was quiet. Except for the aforementioned carpet stains, the room appeared reasonably clean. Wi-Fi, television, plumbing, and climate control were all in good working order.
The breakfast area had the appearance of still being under construction and the only hot food readily apparent was a pancake machine, so we skipped the "freebie" and went across the street to Denny's.
It's not likely we'll have occasion to return to Independence, but if we do, we'll probably plan on spending a little more and driving a little father to a different place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Best Western Truman Inn where the service is impeccable, the amenities top-notch and the accommodations are comfortable and affordable. This Missouri Best Western hotel offers guests convenient access to many area businesses, attractions, shopping and dining options in and around Independence. Guests staying at this Independence hotel will be treated to spacious guest rooms featuring cable satellite television, microwave, refrigerator and free high-speed Internet access. A complimentary continental breakfast is served every morning in the hotel's breakfast area. The Best Western Truman Inn is also equipped with an outdoor swimming pool for relaxing. The hospitable staff at the Best Western Truman Inn is ready to ensure a comfortable stay. Make a reservation today and save! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Best Western, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Reservation Counter, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western Truman Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Truman Hotel Independence
- Best Western Independence
- Independence Best Western