“A very nice place to stay with family”

Best Western Truman Inn
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We went to Independence for a ball game and decided to stay at this hotel. It was very nice from the moment we walked in till check out. The breakfast was really good. And the pancake machine was the highlight of the breakfast. I wish i could steal it and take it home with me. Staff was very helpful and polite. Will stay here again

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BimmerM3

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Was very disappointed in room, no frig or microwave (check photos of virtual tour) hair dryer did not work, breakfast room very small for size of motel and breakfast choices lacking.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is a very well kept and managed Best Western right off the Highway and close to sports stadiums, Truman Library, and downtown. We stayed in room 431 on the north side of the building downstairs (its a two story). The room was excellent, very clean, and the bed was one of the best including the pillows. In fact I had to check the car to make sure my wife did not abscound with the pillows. She loved them!!!

The free breakfast was very satisfying with pancakes, fruits, boiled eggs, burittos, cerels, yogurt and pasties. The room was more than reasonably priced, we paid under $70 for a King room.

Be careful when making reservations, the listed 800 numbers for the hotel go to either Hotwire or Hotels.com whose rates are higher then if you call the hotel direct. Be sure to dial the hotel number with the 816 area code.Also, Hotel and Hotwire have limited inventory. Before we finally connected to the hotel desk we were told there were only two rooms available and the prices quoted were $30 more than what we actually paid.

Room Tip: ask for rooms on the north side to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank texasseadog
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed here in August of 2011. The staff are excellent and very helpful. It is only a 10 minute drive to Royals Stadium and easy to get to other fine attractions. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. It is just off the Interstate so ask for a room on the other side of it. It is not a 5 star hotel, but we were only there to sleep at night and visit the attractions during the day.

Room Tip: pick a room on the north side and on the second floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2012

During our two stay we stayed in three different rooms because of air conditioning problems. We had to move at 11:30 one night. Also, one room had a terrible wifi connection. We stayed on side away from highway so experienced no noice.
The positives were a great price, immaculate rooms (remember I was in 3), great beds and linens, and a great location for visiting the Truman sites.
I would stay here again but would thoroughly check air and wifi before committing to a room. The hotel did reduce our rate by a few dollars each night for our troubles. With proper air it was a great value.

Room Tip: Check air and wifi first.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

It is obvious that the management of this property sets high standards on cleanliness and the housekeeping staff meet those high standards. Truman Inn was one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed in. No dirt in the corner, no musty smells, no stains on the carpet, no cobwebs, and pristine linens. I had a problem with the air conditioner in my room and they promptly sent someone to fix it. When the repairs were taking too long, they moved me to another room. Both rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. My only complaint is that the hotel is very close to I-70 and I heard a lot of road noise.

I was in Independence for my granddaughter's cheerleading competition at Truman High School. My daughter stayed at a new Drury Inn a couple of exits east. She paid twice as much for her stay as I paid for the Truman Inn. Although different amenities were offered, my room was just as comfortable as hers.

An easy drive to a wonderful genealogy center. Midwest Genealogy Center is located on Lee Summit Road north. Being and avid genealogist, I could spend weeks in this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north side of the property away from the interstate.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2012

My husband & I had been having a poor experience at another hotel in the area, so switched over to this one, and were very happy. The room was really clean and nice, and was well equipped with everything we needed. The only downside here is that there is no workout room. You might also want to ask to be on the side that faces away from the freeway, to keep down the noise, if you want your door/window open while you're there. Because the weather was so great, we did!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple