“Good place to rest for the night.”

Best Western Truman Inn
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I arrived at 9:30pm and was back on the road by 4:00 am so my time was limited here. It was very convenient to I-70 and the clerk was friendly and effecient. I made my reservation about 2 hours out on the smartphone and everything was ready to go when I arrived. The room was clean and the bed was a bit softer than I like but I was tired and slept soundly for my 6 hour stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Hogride

Reviewed October 28, 2011

The tub and toilet drained very slowly. The toilet just swirled around uselessly and required flushing four or five times to do the trick. You have to turn the shower off and let it drain a few times before you finish showering, or else you're standing in ankle-deep dirty water with Lord knows what in it. Bring your own Drano. They over-authorized on credit/debit card over and above the $50 room deposit, even though the room was supposed to be free with Best Western Rewards points, and it took several days to get the hold released, so if you're on a tight budget, only pay with cash. The two armchairs were dirty and grimy with stuffing coming out of the armrests. You feel like you have to drape towels over the chairs before you sit on them.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
DeepakParmar, Manager at Best Western Truman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

I wanted to apologize for all the problems that you encountered with your stay with us. We take all feedbacks to heart and strive to improve our guest’s experience. Please provide me your phone number so I can call you and offer some kind of a resolution. We want every guest to have a delightful experience when they stay with us.
Once again we apologize for any inconvenience and looking for forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

The motel is close to the interstate, and close to the Truman Home and Truman Library. It was quiet, comfortable and clean. Staff was helpful in showing us how to find the places were were looking for and also where to find a restaurant for dinner. Would go back there again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Stayed 2 nights. First room key did not work, even after getting a second set. Gave us another room.. Got back to room at 5:30 the first day, key did not work. Desk said they only thought we were staying one night, even though the info in their system showed we were there for 2 nights. No maid service the first day. Went to desk again and was told we had a do not disturb sign on our door so no maid service.. We did get a late start that day leaving at 11:00 am, but we removed the do not disturb sign at that time. Desk made a number of excuses and we went down to the desk to get clean towels. I asked to speak to the manager the next day and left my cell phone number. At checkout the following day I again asked about why we did not have maid service and was told we had a do not disturb sign on the door. The person at the desk made all kinds of excuses when I told her the sign was removed when we left, she said we should have told them that we were leaving and it was basically our problem. Not a pleasant stay at all. Desk had more excuses than I have ever heard before. Have stayed at a number of BW, this was the worst. Still waiting to hear from the manager, that was 5 days ago

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is a very old motel with rooms opening outdoors, where you can drive up to your room (if on ground floor). It appears they added on to the original part. Very small rooms, tiny bathroom with sink outside. Very low sink counter & shower head.

The room was clean but when we arrived in our room, we found someone's smoothie on the floor next to the sofa - the housekeepers? The bolt locks worked but the safety door latch didn't fully close....and we could see light through the bottom of the door in the morning (glad we were upstairs).

The exterior corridors around the motel were gross. Everywhere we walked were cigarette butts and trash, both when we checked in and when we left. Maybe they're short on help? We noticed the (very nice) front desk manager doing double duty as breakfast hostess, including mopping the floor.

Maybe they can't change their age, so they should definitely clean it up. But the area's okay, its right off the highway, and we got a good deal through a BW promo. So its an okay place to stay if the rate is right, but you can likely find much better in independence or surrounding area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Rocker_rep
Reviewed July 21, 2011

This hotel was in a decent area, which felt safe to me. Overall, I had no complaints. The beds were comfy, the room was clean and the bathroom was clean and functional. The room I was in had a sofa, which was nice so I didn't have to sit on the bed. The man at the front desk was very friendly, and the housekeeper I spoke to was very helpful as well. Parking was plentiful and right outside your door. Overall, I was very impressed and have nothing bad to say about this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank USRoadTripper
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Was in town to visit family for one night and the price was wonderful. We couldn't pass it up. Location was perfect, make sure to stay on the north side so you won't be facing the interstate. Room was clean. The only problem we had was trying to find somewhere to eat. We traveled north and the farther north we traveled the more suspect it became. Try delivery or eat in Blue Springs!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple