“over each immaginations”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Manggis
Milano
“over each immaginations”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Amnakila is e reakl superg hotel. the position end the sight is realy unique. Every details is considered. Food realy good with a good choicess, even extra cativity are fine and well organized. beach and pool are really fantastic. pool is in the forest and it is really wonderfull, vero close to the vbeach. Swimming in the sea not always possibile: you are in indian ocean.....Higly reccomended a fitness centre

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
WasingtonDC
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I'm not always the best TripAdvisor patron as many times I'll read reviews but fail to leave them upon having an outstanding stay. The logic being , why write about what everybody already knows.The Amankila falls in that category, but I would be remised if I didn't give it the praise it deserves , and for fellow TripAdvisor patrons to utilize.

The location is bordering on the otherworldly. Having sat on the cliffs of Santorini, spent days swimming in the Lagoon at Bora Bora, hiked the peak of Maui, I'm fairly certain I recognize "AMAZING" when I see it. Well that's all here awaiting your arrival !

From the moment you step out of the comfortable new hotel transport SUV, complete with cold beer, ice water, and snacks, you'll feel like the very fortunate invited guest of the owner of a Balinese Palace. The main facility is Stair-stepped into the hillside with tiered infinity pools overlooking the East Bali coast, surrounded by the sound of the surf beneath you. Your soul will let out a sigh the likes of which it hasn't had in a long time! Take my word for it

The gentle kind staff usher you to the room locations to the side of the hotel cantilevered over the jungle canopy. The spotless, not to mention leafless pathway led to Pool villa suite room # 9 in our case. Both private and beautiful, with the ocean view off to the side, it was just what I had wished it to be. Immaculate and stylish on the inside and home for a 5 day period that we'll never forget. We were fortunate in that the suite was just off the side of the main hotel pavilion, hidden in palms and foliage.

The overall room site plan which includes the pool suites ,ocean view , and garden suites all terrace up the hill fairly far through a network of paths. With only roughly 36 rooms we rarely met anyone along the way but for smiling staff. I'm sure your rewarded by sweeping views from the rooms higher up the hillside.

The main pools are exotic, though no picture can do it justice...and the Bales are just the perfect place to recover from whatever the rest of your year has looked like. The pool staff is always somewhere in the background to make sure your not wanting for anything. And just in case your thinking "how long can I sit by the pools?", no fears... as the beach club in the palm grove beneath you on it's private black sand beach awaits. An entirely different experience of equal peace and solitude. A dinning pavilion and another stunning pool in the natural pristine palm grove make for the perfect lunch setting at sea level!

The dinners were delicious and creative thanks to Guy the New Zealand chef (hey bud ! from DC3), breakfast was plentiful, Lunch was delicious, and poolside service will fill in all of your desires in between.

I'm only going to say this once so please, please listen up. YOU will miss the location and experience of a lifetime if you go anywhere else and not simply treat yourself to the best.

Good Explorations to you!
Tom / Dc trekker

4 Thank DCtrekker
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed August 8, 2010

This hotel is one of my favourites ever, and I am writing this Tripadvisor report although my stay at the Amankila dates several years back. We did the Aman Experience at all three Aman Hotels in Bali and this is the reason why we - as well as many others - have become Aman Junkies. Atmosphere, Authenticity, Architecture and Amenities were at the highest level. Service second to none. Distance to the airport is considerable (90mins) and the hotel is so secluded that you better bring a partner, otherwise it is a difficult combination of romantic and lonelyness. Anyway; a must do for any hotel "collector". However: with places like Aman Delhi, Amanjena or the Amans in Sri Lanka, maybe this hotel group is overstretching its proposition and has lost the plot.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank TrophyCollector
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2010

i just ended my umpteenth trip to Aman Resorts in Indonesia. The itinerary this time had me stay at Amankila, Amanjiwo and Amanusa. They were all incredible as usual but let me single out the Amankila. I have seen some recent reviews that were critical in some areas so I wanted to give my totally opposite perspective.

The Amankila (and all Aman Resorts for that part) is about a philosophy. it is to be able to appreciate the most subtle detail and experience a warm, casual and truly genuine service experience.

Upon our arrival at the Denpasar airport, a representative from Amankila meets you at the arrivals area taking all your bags to a waiting Amankila driver outside. You get into a lovely luxury van with pillows to support your lumbar area and calming music. You are then given a cold drink and lemongrass scented ice cold towels (remember you haven't even arrived to the hotel yet!). After a 2 hour drive due to construction on the main highway (normally 1.15 hours), you arrive at this magical spot on earth. Amankila has built a resort on what appears to be lush cliff in a remote part of Eastern Bali. This is by far the most exotic area on the Island and I think they found the best plot of land as well. You need to see it to believe it. We are greeted by Tracy (the best GM ever) and her caring staff and immediately whisked away to our villa for check in. It is so nice that there is no check in counter like so many other hotels.

On this trip, we stayed at the Amankila suite and then moved to the Kilasari suite Tracy arranged our rooms and it was greatly appreciated. The Amankila suite has the most amazing views of the ocean and comes equipped with own own full pool and two private lounge beds (bales). The Kilasari suite is the furthest suite on top of the hill and has a gorgeous infiniti pool and great outdoor area. All the suites have identical interiors so the only thing that makes them different are the views, pools, and outdoor patio areas. I personally love the rooms. If you are looking for a western style interior with glitz, mirrors, antique furniture, marble, big fluffy beds, etc.....then this may not be for you. However, if you are looking for "simple, understated, tasteful, authentic, appropriate for the location" type of room, then this hits the sweet spot! The design of the rooms are so perfect and I am so happy that they did not try to make this place a cookie cutter type room like one would see at most other 5 star hotels. I could get that anywhere in the world at any FS, Ritz, St. Regis, Bulgari, etc. I come to an Aman Resort to feel different and connected to my surroundings, not fighting it. The rooms are currently going thru some minor upgrades but the integrity of the room will not be changing thankfully. They are upgrading the air conditioning system (which is a positive development since I found it either too cold or too warm at times..I think they just need a better thermometer as the A/C certainly cranks), a full length mirror to add to the architecture of the room, a day bed opposite the main bed, etc. The rooms have such natural and simplistic beauty. Perfect!!!

The rest of the trip was outstanding. I had the best 3 meals every day at our stay. Even their new steak sandwich that they just put on the menu was the best I ever had. Of course the Indonesian food was scrumptious and I particularly enjoyed the curried lamb.

The common areas are so beautiful. They have two pools. The main one is a 3 tiered pool that has the illusion of bleeding into the indian Ocean. The other is a large olympic style pool down by the beach. As for the beach, it is not the typical white fluffy sand beach that is near Amanusa. It consist of black sand! While some people might not be expecting this and may not like it, I for one think it is so unique and further distinguishes this resort from all others. Again, it is all about the little things and yes the sand is "the little thing." I found the service by the pool to be incredibly attentive. They think of every little detail. For instance, the beach area tends to have a breeze. So, when I decided to smoke a cigar, not only did the pool boy give me an astray, but he added a little water in the ashtray so the ash would not blow on us when I flicked the ash!!!!!!! This is what service is about!!!!! They anticipate everything that might happen!

I could go on and on forever talking about this place. If you want the most relaxing vacation where you will feel more special than anywhere on earth, there is no place IMHO that even comes close to Aman Resorts and particularly the extremely well run Amankila.

Treat yourself if you feel you deserve it!

7 Thank Scott1012
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2010

This was our first ever Aman experience and we were super excited to experience all that Aman had to offer. We always try to book the very best hotels in any area that we travel to and in Bali stayed at the two Four Seasons properties and then at Amankila. The resort is absolutely gorgeous, the pool is famous and even more spectacular in person. The resort feels very exclusive with its remote location and private beach.

We stayed in a pool suite and the pool was huge compared to the plunge pools at the 2 Four Seasons properties and surrounded by a large terrace and outdoor living space that had ocean views over the roofs of the lower villas (villa #24). The interior of the villa was a bit of a let down compared to our Four Seasons villas and I am happy to see that there is some refurbishment being undertaken in that regard. There was nothing specifically wrong with the condition of the villa but just a overall dated appearance.

Staying at Amankila comes at a premium (everything is 60% more than at Four Seasons, room, food, liquor) and we knew that going in and were ready to spend the money and see what life if like when you move "up" from the Four Seasons. Service here was good but I would have to rate it below our Four Seasons experience. At the beach they instruct you to put up a flag on your "Bale" when you need something, I would put it up but nobody would come by and I would eventually walk down the beach to make my request in person (not the "end of the world" but when you are paying a premium these things bug you) Also besides breakfast (which was amazing) the food at lunch and dinner was mediocre.

This is a very nice resort but it is very hard to justify the price premium you pay here over other resorts. We came here ready to see what amazing things Aman would deliver that we had never experienced before but that didn't happen.

5 Thank ryzee
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Perfect location, outstanding service

• Stayed July 2010
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Rating Amankila is not easy. Compared to most hotels, it is clearly outstanding. It's beautiful and the property is really unique. However, at the rates they charge, there are some areas for improvement.

As other reviews note, the setting is unmatched. We loved being in Eastern Bali and having some quiet days at the beach and pool. The pools are among the most beautiful I've seen, and the spacious property conveys an amazing feeling of privacy. We thought the food was good, and we also enjoyed a couple dinners in town (when we wanted something more casual). I especially liked the breakfast and lunch options.

There are two areas that need improvement for a hotel of this level. Service overall was good - and staff did learn our names and greet us and were generally helpful. However, it was definitely not perfect (and we had better service at some less expensive hotels in Bali). Just a couple examples - our breakfast order was mixed up several times, we had to wait quite a while to check out, the car wasn't ready for the airport...None of these are major complaints, and at most places I wouldn't note them, but they're things that shouldn't happen at a super high end hotel like Amankila.

The other drawback is that the rooms are a little tired. They're spacious and pretty, and the exteriors are nice, but interiors definitely need an upgrade. The AC is old (and kind of stuffy smelling) and the decor looks outdated. On the flip side, the little touches like beach bags and flip flops, cookies and fruit, help make the rooms warm and inviting.

Overall we had a very relaxing and lovely stay. (And how I wish I were at that pool right now!) But our expectations at this price are very high, and Amankila isn't quite 100%.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andalu
Baligm, General Manager at Amankila, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Amankila.

I was delighted that you thought the property was beautiful and unique.

Please accept my apologies for the mixed up breakfast orders and the delayed departure transfer. These are not the normal standards of service that we offer, so I will be looking into each area to ensure they never happen again.

With regards to our rooms being a little tired, we are in fact in the middle of a room renovation. We have completed 7 rooms and the rest will be completed by mid 2011. This will I’m sure rectify any comments for the future.

Thank you again for your comments and our three tiered pools are waiting for you to return.

Warm regards

Tracy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
Alila Manggis
#1 of 8 in Manggis
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan

Been to Amankila? Share your experiences!