“Tired Luxury”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Manggis
Singapore, Singapore
“Tired Luxury”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

An incredible resort... if you were there 3 years ago. It is starting to look tired, but it still has class. The service is 2nd to none with staff that really know how to look after the guests. Unfortunately the view has been damaged by a new oil terminal and dozens of oil tankers hanging off the beach... Aman know how to look after their guests....now all they have to do is start looking after their resorts

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Luke M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We spent our honeymoon in April at Aman Kila and loved our experience! The service is as if they were reading your mind and they think of every detail. As foodies the food was amazing...even the dishes we prepared in our cooking class. The private beach was a perfect get away with multiple staff at our service providing food and beverages on demand. The hotel was only 60% filled this time of year as a slower season but with only 34 rooms I doubt it ever feels crowded.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We were shown the culture and how people live in this part of bali
We had a cliff side sala which was stunning
We learned to cook and shop Balinese style and hiked thru local towns and villages
The gem that people miss here is that the hotel is near some of the best scuba diving in the world . For beginners go to tulamben wreck dive . Experts go to candidasa 3 rocks to see
Big fish but beware of 10 kt currents that go down toilet bowl
Style. Dangerous

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Pacmandoctor
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Amanresorts is a hotel chain that I have wanted for a long time. I first confused to choose which Amans I choose, because every Amans seems fine, unique, etc... but after make some research I finally decided that my first Aman experience is: Amankila. Then, I waited until a special time to stay here for one nights or two...

1.Pre-Arrival
Prior to my arrival, I make some email that contains my questions about Amankila service, package, etc they reply quickly (not more than 1 day) and full of information that I need. But, one week before my arrival, I sent a email again, to confirmed my pick up time, but they never reply my email. So, 3 days before my arrival, I must make a call to the hotel. When I ask why you don't reply my email, he reasoned that his network was disrupted. 7/10

2.Arrival
Amankila staff pick up us in a hotel in Nusa Dua area. I want them to pick me up at 10.30 am, the car arrive at 10.30 am sharp, the car was a Toyota Innova MPV. Amankila use only Toyota Innova as their pick up fleet, so you cannot request more posh car. Journey to the Amankila takes about 90 minutes, the driver (the only man who picked me up) who pick-up me is nice person.Because the journey takes a little bit long, they provide reading materials, like magazines, Amanresorts and Amankila information. They also provide many varities of cold drinks and snacks. Finally we arrive at Amankila, when we arrive, about 3 persons greeted us (we don't see the GM, Claudia), no check in formalities here, as they just ask my passport. After some chit chat, the butler escorted us to the villa. When we arrive in the villa, my bag is already in the my villa. The butler also explained us about the Villa facilities, and Villa conditions. The exotic welcome drinks was also served in here. 8/10

3.Villa
Our villa was located near the lobby. In my email, I asked that I want a Villa near the lobby area, because Amankila’s location is a little bit hilly. I do not want to be too tired, so I chose a villa near the lobby. The Villa itself although in good condition, but I think it was quite old. The sounds from old air conditioner was also loud enough. All Villa here also don’t have a television set, so you must call the butler if you want a television set installed to your room (takes about 10 minutes). All Amankila villa have a same layout, and large enough. In my opinion, the Villa here is also lack of privacy. 8/10

4.F&B
Just try their FB when breakfast. Their breakfast was no buffet style, you can choose from a menu. My Breakfast experience here was less enjoyed, because less variation, it seems less delicious, and the presentation is quite long. The view was great as breakfast area is located near the legendary three tiered pool. 6/10

5.Pool/Beach Area
Main Pool here is a legendary three tiered pool. You can see the beautiful Manggis coastline here when you take a dip in pool or relaxing at their cabana or beach chair. Sometimes their staff also give you surprise when you take a relax in your cabana. In my case, they call me by my name and give me a cold fresh ice. Nice Treats. The second pool are located near the beach club. You can reach the pool by walk 10 minutes or take a buggy. The pool is very quiet, much quieter than the first pool. The beach was less interesting, as the sand here is dark and oily. All staff here are very friendly, kind, and informative. 8/10

6.Hospitality
All staff here have a great attitude, I think they love their job, so they can satisfy us as a guest. In fact, they do not regard us as guests, but as an old friend. They all also already know our favorite magazine, drinks, etc, even though we only spoke to one person, they also call you by your name. 10/10

7.Location/View
Amankila is located in east coast of Bali, in Karangasem regency, facing Lombok island. In my opinion the area close to Amankila have a unique atmosphere, very different, more rural and serene than area which close from DPS Airport. Amankila itself is in a back out the small mountain, called “Indra” and “Kila”, so the view from the top of the resort area is abolutely breathtaking (see my picture). 9/10

7.Others
This is the explanation of main advantage of Amankila compare to others Uber Luxury Resort in Bali which I tried before, like Alila Villas Uluwatu and St.Regis Bali. Amankila have a free half day activities if you stay in Amankila, the others don’t. Amankila don’t have a exact check out time, they never ask me when we want check out, they just ask my flight time when check in. In my case, my flight back to Singapore was at 9.45 pm. One day before my departure, in a unformal chit chat, the butler tell me that tomorrow you can relax and have a dinner before we drive you to the airport. It means we can check out very late, even I never ask about a late check out – It simply like going from our home not from hotel – they regards us as a family not guest. Alila Villas Uluwatu and St.Regis Bali even don’t do this. 10/10

This is my first Aman experience. It not that perfect, but Yes, I’m very satisfied about this property. Like Amanjunkies, I don’t want to wait too long to experience other Aman property, don’t wait until my special time, because stay in one of Amanresorts is like back to your home…

Recommended: Yes, one of my favourite resort in Bali (the others is Alila Villa Uluwatu, same owner with Amankila, but different management).
Return To Sleep: Yes, but I want to try Amano’i / Amanfayun first.

As usual, I always include photos in each of my reviews on Tripadvisor. - It's Real Review.

Room Tip: Lower villas near the lobby.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank FSB_81
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Spent 3 nights in July 2013. Then subsequently 3 nights in August 2013, and 2 nights in October 2013

In my opinion, of the 3 Amans in Bali, Amanusa is the most convenient (and less luxury - probably just a notch better than Four Seasons or St. Regis), Amandari has the feeling of making you feel right at home, (Staff are sincere and genuine, and you feel extremely warm and welcome) while Amankila gives you the sense of "lost in paradise" - it's discreet, private, secluded, and enable you to completely relax and forget about yourself.

Amandari has more of a "sun" energy - warm, lush greens, village feel
Amankila has more of a "moon" energy - calm, serene, peaceful

Claudia is an one of the most amazing and professional GM I have come across. You can see and feel that she puts a lot of attention and care to the property. Her presence in the hotel is high - she's always around to ensure guests are happy, things are done right. I even saw her walking from one end of Amankila's private beach to another just to ensure the entire beach is in pristine condition.

Everything is perfect in Amankila - nothing is overlooked. The sense of absolute privacy when you need it is priceless, but when you want and need to be pampered there's an army of staff who can catered to almost everything you wish for.

Want to sleep outside under the tent - no problem!
Want breakfast in the private bale on Amankila's private beach - no problem!
Want to bike in the rice field - no problem - they sent you a driver and drive you to the most amazing place and then leave you alone to enjoy and explore
Want to go to a local Balinese shop for real sarongs and crafts anytime you want - no problem.

The hotel is amazing as it integrates local village life to the property. Local villagers perform amazing Balinese dance by the amazing Amankila 3-tier pool; shadow play and fire dance by the hotel bar.

One thing of note, the local staff in Amankila may not be as warm and welcoming as Amandari, but that's probably because you never have to walk to the main lobby and need to interact with them. Amankila is so spread out and so large that if you don't want to be seen, you don't have to be seen. On the other hand, the beach crew can't do more than enough. They leave you alone when you want privacy, but just about when you want something, they will magically appear.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jackson T
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Amankila in June of 2012 as part of our honeymoon. We spent 2 weeks in Bali spread across 3 different hotels in different part of the island. Amankila was outstanding, but very remote. Thus, my only "caution" is that it probably isn't the best fit for very active people that value activities over simple relaxation. I generally fall into that category, but never felt any restlessness during our 5 day stay. From an architectural perspective, Amankilla is perhaps the most unique and beautiful resorts I have ever visited. The view from the pool is spectacular, as it was from our villa - and I would be shocked if there was a single villa without a similarly beatiful view.

We mostly spent our time at the beach and pool, but did venture out on several occassions. My wife absolutely loved the tour of the local market, and we also had a blast on our bike ride one day - which really enabled us to get a feel for the surrounding area.

The food was excellent. The fruit was without doubt the best I have ever had - to the point where I overindulged the first few days. Given the remoteness, we ate every single meal at the hotel - but that wasn't an issue on account of its quality.

Overall I would highly recommend Amankilla. It was as outstanding as its prices would suggest.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean suite, which was beautiful. Some rooms are located pretty far from the common...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here over Christmas for three days of true bliss! The ONLY downside is that it's a 1.5 hr drive from the airport - and they do everything to make that trip as painless as possible (especially the pillows in the car, a very nice touch!).
The staff was superb, the rooms were luxurious, the massage was decadent, the meals were individually designed, and we thoroughly enjoyed our conversations with Claudia and Guillarme and the rest of the staff. They definitely convey the feeling of "visiting friends", you never feel as though you're just another guest.
Lastly, the views about you and the peace of the resort starts from the minute you arrive.
Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
Alila Manggis
#1 of 8 in Manggis
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan

Been to Amankila? Share your experiences!