“Have breakfast anytime...anywhere”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Manggis
Sydney, Australia
“Have breakfast anytime...anywhere”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Amazing hotel, expensive but it is really luxury. No noise, best food ever...breakfast anytime (amazing), we got a villa with pool and it was...oh...The pools in the hotel are huge and quiet. Amazing service

Room Tip: try breakfast in the room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank victortokio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We spent 6 nights in Bali and wanted to break our trip up. So first three was at a place called One Villa Bali which was nice and the remaining 3 nights at the Amankila which was fabulous. It was our first Aman for my girlfriend and I and we were certainly not disappointed at all. The Aman completely understands about the "little touches" that make all the difference. From the time that we were picked up till check out, everything was seamless. Service is great and special mention must go to Putu Kesuma for all the special touches during our stay, the flowers on the 2nd night was a very nice touch and he remembered every single detail and request about our stay.

Also Chef Liam rocks. A truly talented chef. There was never a single bad meal at this hotel be it room service or at their restaurant. We were very impressed with the food and I don't say things like that very often. Besides my stay at the MO in Vegas, this was the best breakfast that I have had in a very long time. Highly recommend the baked pancakes and local porridge as breakfast items. Also if you need a special meal prepared, I am sure they can meet your expectations.

Rooms were brilliant, very comfortable and well designed. We stayed in an Ocean Suite and had a nice outdoor deck to hang out for afternoon drinks. The swimming pool is great, lots of room and you probably would never need to head down to the beach. We went down once just to take a peep and that was sufficient throughout the duration of our stay.

Should you feel the need to leave the resort for a meal outside, try Vincents at Candidasa Village. The hotel provides a complimentary car to and fro and its only 10-15 minutes away tops. Vincent offers both local and western cuisine. We ate local and enjoyed it.

This is the resort to be in, if you're in love, Amankila is the place for you.

Room Tip: We had the ocean suite and that was very comfortable. Honestly do not think a private pool is necess...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Uncle B
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I just really do not have enough good words to say about the Amankila. The setting is stunning. Our villa was beautifully and tastefully designed and had its own pool, which allowed the utmost privacy. I don't think I have ever slept in a more comfortable bed in my life. The service was just impeccable and unlike anything we had ever experienced before. The food was delicious. I really enjoyed my days on the beach in our own cabana style set up, and the rest of the time we relaxed poolside. It was our honeymoon, so they had set up large white banners at the entrance of our villa and added some wedding decorations to our outdoor sitting area, which was a thoughtful touch, and we had enormous fresh flower bouquets sent to our room from the management.

I think the Amankila has spoiled me forever. It really is the epitome of luxury and service, and definitely worth the extra splurge. I can't wait for my next Aman vacation!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is my favourite Aman. I have stayed at the Amandari in Ubud, the Amanusa in Nusa Dua and also Amanpuri in Phuket. Amankila is my favourite of these.

The elevated location is spectacular. There is something both elegant and supremely functional about the architecture. All Aman's are beautiful, but the Amankila is special.

We didn't swim in the beach as I think there are oil tankers nearby? But the pools are all stunning, so it's actually not a big deal. I find the beaches in Bali somewhat polluted, so I didn't really mind staying in the various pools. We actually only swam and lay by our villa pool, but the main pool also looked gorgeous.

The mangosteen drinks are delicious, all the fruit is fresh, but particularly the mangosteen - eat it while you are here, it is the best.

Th best thing for me that is often a deal breaker if I am in a resort type situation - I hate to sleep with AC. If I am in an urban city like Hong Kong then I can accept that the windows dont open and I am limited to an AC environment. But if I am on vacation somewhere with a gorgeous climate, comfortably warm nights and fresh air, I want to sleep with my windows open but with the protection of good old fashioned mosquito screens. Amankila is fully screened. It is visually gorgeous, there is no flaw to the design due to the mosquito screens, it simply allows you to sleep with fresh lovely air. I live in NYC and have to tolerate either constant AC or constant heating due to a harsh climate - why on earth do I want a tropical paradise vacation with air conditioning?!

Amankila gets this small but important detail right. Other hotels make you sleep under a mosquito net over the bed but I find this annoying - it's awkward getting in and out of bed, PLUS you get eaten alive in the rest of the room. It's absurd to expect a mosquito net over a bed to be sufficient - it means you have to hide inside bed as soon as it gets dark, or slather your body in insect repellant until you get into bed. YUK. Or they offer you poison pad things that fill the room with a poison so the mosquitoes die as they fly around. This is also unacceptable - why do I want to breath mild poisons every night after dark in my room? Old fashioned but well designed screening over all the windows and doors is the answer. And Amankila is still architecturally STUNNING, my favourite of them all.

Room Tip: pool villas are lovely.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AlastairCookieNYC
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

a greta resort in a fantastic location. we had an ocean view villa and really enjoyed our stay here. the resort is visually stunning, and the rooms are lovely and spacious. i have a thing for day beds and we had both indoor and outdoor ones. the time of year we went late oct/early nov, it was very hot, but that just meant more time in the pool. the beach is lovely and the pool area down by the beach is serene. i had an olympic sized pool to myself for a few hours one day. we took a boat trip as an activity, a little snorkelling was done, but really it was just nice to be out on the water, the lunch and beers provided made it just that much nicer. the resorts babysitting service wa fantastic too. the only issue i had, aside from being too relaxed, was that the breakfast area at that time of year was about 1000000 degrees as the sun shone right in there in the morning. if thats my biggest issue - this place is great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chris c
Paris, France
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This property is very, very beautiful and the perfect place to de-stress. It is not cheap, of course, but the stunning setting, wonderful food, glorious pools, and the faultless and personal yet discreet service make it worth the price.

When we visited, the hotel was not busy at all, and I had the pool by the beach to myself for long swims each time. It was magical. Amankila also served the best breakfasts we've ever had. And the outdoor lounge area by the villa is just perfection.

We also stayed at Amanusa in Nusa Dua, and although the villas at Amanusa are even more stunning than those at Amankila, the lush setting, the sense of seclusion and the service that seemed smoother make Amankila very special indeed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank intersperse
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Amankilla during our honeymoon. The property is beautifully designed and the villas are typically Aman and under stated. Although I am an Aman junky and would stay in any of their properties, I would choose the other two properties in Bali and that is mainly to their locations.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Buddakhan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
Viceroy Bali
Alila Manggis
#1 of 8 in Manggis
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,106 reviews
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Amankila? Share your experiences!