“My most favourite place in the world - paradise on earth!”
Review of Amankila

Amankila
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Manggis
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Although my wife has posted a review about our stay during our honeymoon earlier in July, I simply felt compelled to post another from my perspective (and re-iterating some of the things she said)!

First of all, I must confess that although I am an avid user of Trip Advisor, I have never actually submitted a review before or felt compelled to do so until now. I have travelled quite extensively (across some 50 countries) but can honestly say that Amankila is my most favourite place in the world. If there is a paradise on earth, then this is it!

I surprised my wife on honeymoon by taking her there and had e-mailed the hotel beforehand to inform them that it would be a surprise and not let it slip. To my absolute delight, the driver (Wayan) was completely aware and actually played along telling her that we were going to a hotel in Nusa Dua and asking if we wanted to stop off at Amankila just to see it as it was on the way - to which we both agreed. The drive up to Amankila is very picturesque and absolutely breathtaking when you go up the cliff and you can suddenly see the sea! As soon as we reached the hotel and saw the iconic three tier infinity pool overlooking the sea, she turned to me to say that we should one day stay at a place like that to which I replied how about now - the look on her face turned from complete surprise to disbelief to joy and it was priceless!

Tracey (the General Manager) was on hand to personally meet us and from the moment we were picked up to the moment we were dropped off, the staff were absolutely fantastic - having read the other reviews, I had an idea of what to expect but even then was completely taken back by the attention to detail that each staff had and how everything worked like clockwork and in the background. It is hard to really explain this but as an example (and one of my favourite bits of the stay) as soon as the staff see you approaching a bale, they would come and prepare (laying out several comfortable towels) and bottles of complimentary sun lotion and ice cold water would materialise. There were always staff at hand should you require anything (even anticipating your needs at times) but they were never intrusive. And it was quite incomprehensible how each staff would know your name and the room you were staying in!

Apart from the service, the food itself was exquisite - Guy, the head chef, was simply superb with his vast culinary knowledge and created a special menu for us on our last night which was really one of the best meals we have had (especially given that we are vegetarians). We decided to have this meal in our suite and the staff went out of their way to decorate the place and make it very romantic for us - there were candles everywhere and they setup a table outside for us with our own private waiter for the evening. It was a night that neither one of us will ever forget.

The hotel's location is spectacular and the view is breath taking (every time we drove back from an activity, it never failed to literally make us gasp!). Although some people have mentioned that the sand is black and found that to be concerning, I actually found it quite unique and it added to the entire experience. Either way, it is extremely soft and the privacy of the bales guarantee to make you feel as though you have the beach all to yourself! The tiered infinity pool again is quite unique (although can imagine it would have been even more so when Amankila was first built) and the architecture of the entire place is simply stunning. All the suites feel extremely private and none look into the other.

I have tried to think of any little wants or concerns that we might have had and can honestly say that there were none!

All in all, the fantastic staff, superb food and spectacular location all made our dream honeymoon destination become a reality and it really surpassed even my highest expectations. We certainly look forward to maybe one day visiting the place again and would really like to sincerely thank Tracey and her wonderful staff for making it an unforgettable honeymoon and experience for us.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jmdcam

Reviewed July 25, 2011

To my great delight my husband surprised me by taking me to stay at Amankila for our honeymoon; the epitome of heaven on earth. With the most breathtaking and picturesque landscape I have ever seen, I literally had to pinch myself to make sure it was real.

The service we received was excellent - started from our transfer to the hotel (from our hilarious driver wayang ), to the hotel manager (Tracey) and the whole staff always being on hand to ensure that no small desire is left unfulfilled; it was simply the best service we have ever experienced and made the stay perfect.

Our villa was absolutely enormous and could see why every room was called a suite. Despite this, we still spent a lot of time out of the room on the personal bales on the beach and by the gorgeous infinity pool, where their warm & extremely friendly and attentive staff were always on hand to ensure we were always comfortable.

Being vegetarian we tend to have a limited choices of foods that we can eat. However this was not the case at Amankila; not only did they ensure to create a separate personalised vegetarian menu for us with a wide selection of food (already in our room on check in), the head chef (Guy) even took the time to see us to discuss options and make anything we want. The end result was one of the most delicious meals we have ever had (in or out of Bali).

Whilst in Amankila, my husband and I went snorkelling and to our utter delight we had the entire boat to ourselves and 1 to 1 personalised snorkelling with their experienced guides.

From the excellent service, fantastic food, spectacular views & comfortable rooms, I could not recommend any place more than this.

Thank you to all the staff there for giving us a truly memorable honeymoon.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pjdlon
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I consider myself a tough critic and I cannot say enough about Amankila. It is far and away the most beautiful hotel I've ever been to. The staff is outrageously courteous and every day there are little touches which will leave you speechless. The food is AMAZING - each meal was honestly some of the best food I've ever had (Western and Indonesian). The setting is perfect - quiet, private, an amazing private beach and multiple scenic pool facilities. While Amankila is not cheap (and you end up eating most of your meals in house because of its location), it is WELL worth the money.

4  Thank lucyktravel
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I cannot say enought good things about our experience at Amankila. The staff (so nice and accommodating!), the food (fantastic!), the pool (fabulous!), the view (beautiful!), the room (fabulous!).

We recently returned from our vacation which included 4 nights/5 days at Amankila and 1 night at their beautiful sister resort, Amanusa (closer to the airport and we had an early flight). We arrived late Monday evening (around 10pm) after a long day of traveling, so at first we were a bit leary of all the stairs. While the rooms are a bit rustic (comparatively speaking to other 5 star hotels), they are nice, very clean, with very comfortable beds and oh-so-welcoming with a stunning tower of tropical fruit, and a jar each of local crackers and mini chocolate chip cookies which are refilled daily. The next morning, we were even more pleased to see the absolute stunning view from our room. Every stair is worth climbing to be able to wake up and walk out to enjoy the breathtaking scenery.

While the food is expensive, it is not any more than any other 4/5-star hotel/resort and is absolutely delicious. We LOVED the Bali coffee and the Indonesian breakfast options. We also splurged on the private beach dinner, which was phenomenal! The executive chef met with us to find out what we wanted for dinner then put together a menu based on our input. Amongst other dishes, we had a grilled seafood platter including lobster, barramundi, fish/chicken/beef satay. The food, the service, the ambiance is truly worth every penny...I highly recommend the experience.

And let's not forget the pool...Oh my goodness, truly paradise to be able sit at the pool, listen to the ocean, enjoy the impeccable service, and just enjoy everything about the resort.

We have had many wonderful vacations, but this truly was the Best Vacation Ever!

Room Tip: Request #37. The most stairs, but the best view!
6  Thank NWTraveler73
Reviewed May 23, 2011

My new husband and I stayed at Amankila for a few days on our honeymoon. Overall, the top tier hotels in Bali are pretty amazing so Amankila faces some fierce competition.

In my opinion this section of Bali is far more appealing than Seminyak, Legian, Kuta, etc and its only 1.5-2 hrs away from the airport due to a new highway (if you havent been to Bali before you should seriously listen to this -- the area right around the airport while the most well-known sections of Bali are very busy and crowded. Expect a lot of traffic and row after row of resorts. we found Seminyak not at all peaceful and would have skipped had we known). Amankila is far more authentic and peaceful. The resort itself is beautiful. The three-tiered pools are as amazing in real life as in the pictures and the service is out of control good. They nail every detail leaving you with this overall experience that is impossible to put into words.

If i was being 100% honest i would have a few small nitpicks. Of the hotels that we stayed at in Bali, i expected Amankila's rooms to just blow the others out of the water & that didnt completely happen. We had an ocean view high on the hill (and personally didnt mind the hills). Dont get me wrong, the room is very good with many features, spacious, and very comfortable. It just wasnt the best that we stayed at in terms of overall room or view. i understand that some of the rooms are being renovated so perhaps that shall change. Again, to me this is more a product of fierce comparisons. We considered a pool villa but i honestly dont think at this resort its necessary as there's a 3 tiered pool, a large pool down at the beach, and then the beach itself (mild waves, comfortable water temp).

Food here is quite expensive (but to be expected at an Aman) but thankfully everything we had other than one dinner was crazy good and the best we had in Bali. Not sure what happened with the one meal but i'll chalk it up to a fluke. Even food down at the beach club was excellent.

Activity wise, we went scuba diving at near by Blue Lagoon. Unless you are interested in just doing the experience (as we were as it was my husband's first time), the diving is okay at best and it would have been totally sufficient to snorkel at that particular location. There are several other locations about 1-2 hrs away that we read were good but didnt get to try. We did Amankila's snorkel cruise which was great, had in room massages which were excellent, and also did the dinner on the beach which was pricey, but a truly fantastic and romantic meal. It was well worth it.

While i mention a few small nitpicks, i do want to be clear -- i think Amankila is one of the best options in Bali. Even tho the rooms are only a 8.9 instead of a 10, the location, the service level and the amazing overall experience that they create makes this place a do NOT miss.

Room Tip: inquire about which rooms have been renovated
6  Thank mmm303
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Of the four resorts we stayed (all were fabulous--the two Four Season and the St Regis), Amankila was our favorite. It is not only the amazing architecture, luxurious environment and killer view, but the personalized high level of service that sets this hotel apart from the rest.
It was so nice be personally greeted by the Manager, Tracey. We saw her a few times during our stay and she alway had time for a chat. The new chef, Guy, provide the best food on our trip. In addition, he showed us the kitchen and stopped by at dinner. By the way, one of our highlights was the gorgeous healthy room service breakfasts we enjoyed on our veranda each morning. Our driver was really outstanding too--taking me to an early morning market, small village tours etc. Many of the other resorts do not employ their own drivers, but hire a service.
We liked the snorkel trip, but were there during the rainy season, when there is a lot of rubbish about (the only downside of the trip). One day we rented a boat and the crew took us snorkeling to another island--fabulous and very clean water.
The facilities are over the top, plus the staff by the beach were so helpful, as opposed to the beach staff at the other resorts.
The rooms were just perfect--they even ironed the robes each day.
For years I have wanted to visit the Amankila, and it was even better than I imagined.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank Sparky22
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed at the Amankila as part of our first tour of Indonesia. We also stayed at the Amanjiwo on Java and The Chedi Club in Ubud. The location of the Amankila is breath taking, high on the cliffs above a small private beach. There are steps everywhere but do not be put off; even with my dodgey knees, it was worth it and there are buggies down to the beach and to the highest rooms. The whole location was magical, the pool area stunning and quiet and the beach very picturesque even with the black sand.
The room we had was also stunning, both inside and out. I always feel that a real value of a hotel comes into being when you have a complaint and how the staff deal with that gives you a real indication of the service. We did have a complaint about our room and it was dealt with extremely quickly and efficiently by the manager herself.
Service on the whole was excellent, particularly around the pool areas and in the main restaurant. My one gripe would be the swiftness, or lack or swiftness of the service at breakfast. Your order is taken very quickly but it is at that point that things seem to go awry. During our 4 night stay, twice we had to wait over 25 minutes even for some juice. Breakfast took easily over an hour and we often only ordered cereal and toast. Having said this the portions are huge for all meals! The food was delicious but very expensive compared to the other hotels we stayed in.
We did the East Bali half day excursion which was fantastic and allowed us to explore some the excellent cultural heritage this island has to offer.

Room Tip: Do have the private dinner - magical!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jandpuk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
Viceroy Bali
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
Amandari
Amandari
#5 of 6 in Kedewatan

Been to Amankila? Share your experiences!