“Fourth Time Back & its getting Even Better”

Three Brothers Bungalows
Ranked #52 of 88 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This is our fourth time back to Three Brothers and I love it.It does have its problems but I just love the rooms & the gardens and I can put up with its other faults just for these reasons.We always have a deluxe suite when we go and the rooms are massive and on the ground floor.There are only 12 of them in the hotel..There is a king size bed with lovely white cotton linen.The bed is comfortable & huge.I like the suites because they have an open air bathroom with a shower(which only dribbles) and a bath with a hand shower which has good pressure and this was what we used.They have now added soap & shampoo bottles which was a feature they didnt have before.I would still bring my own as they are rather basic.The suites have a DVD player & big screen TV but the TV channels are mostly Indonesian with only 2 English channels and nothing to watch.Didnt bother me as I dont watch TV.The airconditioning works very well and is quiet.There is a bar fridge which is small but can take a few bottles and milk etc.No kettles so if you like your cup of tea in the morning make sure you bring one with you.
The breakfasts are very simple with a choice of fruit salad or reconstituted juice(very sweet) and the choice of 1 egg to your taste & toast.If you like big buffet breakfasts then dont go here.The breakfast is tiny but was more than enough for us.The staff used to be quite sour faced in the restaurant but seem more cheerful and have more English now too.
It is still difficult to get a pool towel out by the pool but we just drip dried.It was very clean and inviting.There are not many chairs by the pool but lawn you can sit on if you are not luck enough to get one.
Now the downside.When you make your booking through the website you will get a confirmation of your booking.DO NOT BELIEVE you have a room waiting for you until you personally email the hotel.I have booked for Oct this year and went to choose my room only to find that they had no record of my booking or a room saved for me and 2 others in our party.There seems to be alot of lack of communiction between the booking agent and the hotel.Do not just turn up and expect your room to be there without confirming at least a couple of times,especially just before you leave.You may be disappointed.We had towels brought from home disappear from the front door steps where they had been hung to dry but it could have been anyone including other tourists that may have taken them.There are no room safes inside your room so you need to use the front desk.I havent had anything stolen from my room and find the cleaning staff to be friendly and efficient but its always better to be safe than sorry with your cash.
Falling cocnuts are another problem and this may sound silly but we had 4 near misses with coconuts falling on the paths in front of us from the trees.Luckily we havent had a hit but they would be deadly if they did.I think maybe some trimming from the palms around the paths may be a good idea.You often hear thumps around the gardens as they come down.
I love the wildlife around the gardens and three brothers also has its resident monkey who is gorgeous and affectionate.Make sure you go and give her a good scratch as she loves it and let her groom your hair.There are geckos,bats,lizards,squirrels and an abundance of birds.Lovely to sit on your verandah at dawn and watch them all.
I love three brothers as a place to stay but it isnt for all.If you like to be waited on by the staff and treated like a king then do not go here.It more for the back packer and person who is happy to do their own thing and organise their meals out of the hotel.No swim up bar and not really a bar to buy drinks at all really.You can get beers but Id rather go to the Mini mart next door and keep them in your room.Happy for anyone to contact me regarding anything about the hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a Deluxe suite or deluxe air con room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank caddyandbellA

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Three Brothers could be something quite good, but all of the positives of the site are let down by a lack of attention to detail.

Firstly, the positives. The grounds are superb. This must be one of the biggest accommodation sites in Bali. The grounds are enormous and very well maintained. The rooms are spread out sufficiently such that there is a high level of privacy. Rooms (ast least the renovated ones) are well appointed. The outdoor bathrooms in the suites are very welcome in the Bali climate.

The pool area is good, with a largish pool surrounded by plenty of seating space.

But, the service side of things needs some serious work. Arriving at about 8.30PM, I had to treck through the fairly dark grounds to an unsignposted reception. Surely, the security guard at the gate could escort arrivals, or at least point the way.

The restaurant is very poor. Service is awful - the staff spend most of their time chatting to each other, and on most visits I had to go to the counter to order. Several times dishes were unavailable - "no stock yoghurt" etc. Surely one of the chatting staff members could walk across the road and buy whatever has run out?

Having to buy pre-paid wifi cards is ridiculous when there must be 30 cafes within a 10 minute walk that offer free wifi. Also, the wifi does not work in the rooms, only in the underwhelming coffee shop. At one stage, no wifi cards were available - "reception has not sent them down" - again, perhaps the chatting could be interrupted for 10 minutes for one of the staff to walk to reception to get the cards!

Get all of these little things fixed, and the positives of Three Brothers should have this a 4+ star property.

Room Tip: Go for the suite rooms with an outdoor bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Matt873
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Room 12A was on the second floor and was a haven for bedbugs which I had no previous experience with so it took me from Thursday night to Tuesday morning to change rooms. By that time I was so sick with a flu and welds on my stomach I thought I was going to die in this place. The second room was in a newer part of the hotel room 2LB and I had no problem with that room except that it was so dark I didn't realize I had red spots all over my fore head from mosquito bites. The management moved me but that's it. I paid more for the second room but, it was worth it. This is my second time at the hotel in the past year. The top stair of the ladder in and out of the swimming pool was missing last year and still missing this year which made it very difficult for me to get in and out of the pool.

Room Tip: air conditioned and newer part of hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Coral P
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We were there for 4 nights and definitely will never come back! I was off for breakfast and when came back to the room found out that 100$ was stolen. Same happened with my friends that were with me on breakfast, they lost 150$. When we tried to complain, the administrator started "play an idiot"... Definitely he knows that picking money is normal thing in the hotel, but of course does nothing. In addition: old sheets and towels, trouble with sanitary engineering, tacky and not clean bathrooms... Anyways, i don't recomend this hotel, but if you are there watch your money and dont leave them in rooms!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank NNaama
Three B, Front Office Manager at Three Brothers Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear NataliaPe,
Firstly we all management three brothers bungalows have to say deeply sorry about your not good condition. we are accepted your comment for improving our security.

Just for information, we have safety box at the front office to keep your money safe.
And we are believe our all staff wouldn't do bad thing to our guest in the room.

And for the another thing old sheets, towels and trouble with sanitary engineering, your comment has been forward to our related departmen to fix it.

we hope to have you stay again in our bungalows and just don't forget keep your money in our safety box to make your money more safely.

Best Regards,
Pradana Wicaksana

Reviewed April 21, 2012

We first stayed here in 1988 then 1989 and always try to stay a few nights there whenever we're in Legian. The gardens have an established luxuriance of tall trees shading the lawns, gardens and paths.
Each time we've stayed we've had a different bungalow and these have also been in different styles. It is not some flashy overpriced overgroomed place like those along the Beach. Far more restrained, some even think it's quite 70's.
Our latest room upstairs in a red brick block at the back, over an arched bridge on a Koi pond in a garden laced with ferns and orchids, was like something out of the Raj.
Very peaceful and isolated.
No mod cons other than a TV and air conditioning. A very large room with a tree top balcony and a large plain bathroom.
Nothing luxurious, some might say "a little tired" but the price was very low to match. So it's wonderful value if you aren't expecting glossy luxury, it's more relaxed.
It was only US$44 for a twin A/C room per night (!!!!)
By comparison my travel agent booked me into one of the expensive garden hotels by the beach and forced me to pay almost 3 time the price that we paid here, for a room I found much less comfortable ! (and a pissy attitude too.)
As there are so many styles you may want to see a few rooms, but we were happy with the first one they gave us.
From other reviews I expected the management to have got bored over time, some say difficult but we found them friendly and helpful.
Now, what keeps bringing me back is "Holland" who is a lovely old monkey who lives alone in a wire aviary in the middle of the gardens. She's been there for years, I assume it's her I met in 1988 (?) She's blind in one eye and starved for company, both human and ape. I find her so sweet and her situation so sad that I bring her treats to ease her boredom. I don't eat wheat so I save my white bread and jam from breakfast for her. The look on her face when she got jam on her fingers (utter disgust) the curiousity, a sniff, a tentatively lick, then another. "YUM" then ever finger slowly, something other than the usual routine. A banana, not another banana! ( I assume she got them all the time) So I picked fresh grass shoots only to find I wasn't a connosieur, she taught me the best ones quite quickly though.
In the Seminjak markets I used to find her fruits to try. A smooth swollen passionfruit confused her as she couldn't find the right angle to bite it, well not immediately, then she succeded and tasted it with her finger tip until she was sure.....so-o-o much unstimulated intelligence. (I try to scatter the food around the wire so she has to find it as a hunt rather than hand it all to her, it increases her interest and enjoyment !)
I made the mistake of showing her a mirror, back when we first met. BIG MISTAKE, please don't try it she saw her reflection and freaked out screaming and snarling. She's lost contact with her kind and is probably quite disturbed. As a grooming animal she must miss the rituals and contact.
I noted she was a little unkempt and assumed this was due to not getting mutual grooming (and/or depression) however over a few days of quiet visits and treats we became close friends and she would sit very close to the wire and raise an arm so I could preen her chest and ribs. (so intimate) I wouldn't attempt this until you know each other or if there are kids around to scare her.
Then she asked to preen me, now I'm not going to stick my finger in a monkey cage in case she grabbed or bit me, but gradually I let her reach out and touch me tentatively with her tiny fingertips she was fascinated with the fine hairs on my arm pinching and testing individual hairs. Not pulling them out just studying them intently.
But it was a darker freckle that most entranced her as she very carefully checked whether a very gentle scratch with her finger nail would remove this unsightly, possibly grimy mark (!) hmmmm, she tried again.....at this point I realised it was a mixture of intelligent investigation of something new yet familiar and mutual grooming. Anybody who knows monkey language please inform me, what does it means when she sitting and deliberately turns away from me and crosses her hind legs,away from me, she did this so often it must be have a specific meaning.
I was just too stupid to understand her repeated attempts to get me to comprehend. ..........
So if you're in Legian and you want a relaxed garden retreat with pool and cafe feel free to stay here, there are two entrances one on 3 Brothers lane from Jn Legian (main road) (cheap tailor here and lovely little jewellery shop on left towards main road) and the back entrance straight off Jn Padma Utara running north from Jn Padma.
You are surrounded by affordable but good cafes (Warung Yogya, best fried noodles for a pittance) wonderful Japanese just across Jn Padma and the beach is a short walk to the right down Padma maybe 5 minutes away.
But even if you aren't staying there please, please pop in to visit Holland and take her a fresh fruit treat to brighten her day. I feel so guilty I haven't written this earlier as it was very sad saying good bye to her but I had a plane to catch and had to go or miss it...enjoy!

Room Tip: Check a few as they vary a lot, having been built in many styles in different decades, but don't...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cam k
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We selected this place to stay at because it was recommended by the Daily Planet. It was only for one night, and that was long enough. We had requested a queen bed but instead got 2 twins, which turned out to be a good thing because my husband's bed turned out to be bug-infested, and he ended up sharing my twin. Customer service is also poor. I have stayed in many places on Bali and Java; this was by far the worst. Will never go back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank R B
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Ask to see some room, I loved this place because it was a quiet oasis in the midst of busy streets in Legian. The pool was sweet and there are many winding walkways to various cottages. Our room was huge and our bathroom was, too. It's nothing fancy, but it does feel tucked away in pretty gardens and it has a great location. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I would ask to see 2 or 3 rooms and pick one of those. If you want to be near the pool or cafe, let...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple