Sing Ken Ken Lifestyle Boutique Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$241
$155
$143
$120
Agoda.com
Ananta Legian Hotel(Legian)(Great Value!)
$47
$37
Agoda.com
Baleka Resort Hotel & Spa(Legian)(Great Value!)
$41
$381
$212
The Magani Hotel and Spa(Legian)(Great Value!)
$81
$68
Hotels.com
$258
$196
$113
$104
  • Breakfast included
Alam KulKul Boutique Resort(Legian)(Great Value!)
$69
Orbitz.com
Club Bali Family Suites at Legian Beach(Legian)(Great Value!)
$66
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrooftop poolunfinished hotelacross the roadpool manseminyak beachstreet noisegreat bedwifi is freelocation is greatrain showerour night stayany requestsshower headcomfortable roomsstayed here for nightsshopping and restaurantsbreakfast was included
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Right now while the place is brand new, they offer rooms at slashed rates from their inflated rack rates. So they get lots of people right now who are clearly bowled over by apparent privacy (from low occupancy) and value for money spent. But this place has some serious problems, mostly relating to how it nearly ignores Balinese natural beauty but also construction woes.

It is a big echo-y concrete pile with very few Balinese design touches, built out to the maximum edges of the lot so that there are no green zones. Yes, there were some carved stone reliefs on my balcony and there were old growth teak furnishings out there too... (huge rainforest tree trunk serving as front desk was quite upsetting to see in light of fact that Bali is key transshipment point for mysteriously sourced timber).

The balconies all face the noisy street (motorcycles revving up there from having turned the corner)... and what's outside there while you sit on your little one-seat balcony? but another five story concrete behemoth being built across the street... not a shrub in sight except behind the hotel, where the delightful Puri Naga Hotel gardens can be glimpsed by wistful Sing Ken Ken guests while trekking down their long echo chamber corridor. Maybe the owner didn't want to guests to realize how gorgeous a Balinese hotel can be, and purposely faced the rooms away from the Puri Naga oasis.

Yes, the rooftop here does have a few bougainvillea plants all around, and they'll look good by next year. The pool is minimalist chic and large, but if the hotel were full, you still couldn't accommodate more than about 20 people in the poolside chairs up there. View to the sea would be so much nicer if they didn't have three insipid "Bali modern" stone fountains burbling away IN THE WAY of your view out to the breakers. The gym is not free for guests, let alone the whirlpool spa inside.

The room was nicely appointed, with good-sized amenity bottles, a huge bathroom, a nice new flat screen with plenty of Euro, Asian, and American channels, and the bed was very comfy. Air con surprisingly noisy, though (bad duct design?), and at one point it brought in cigarette smoke and I had to turn it off. Otherwise hotel was very clean.

It sure could have been located on any beach, anywhere, though. I tried to get outside to the beach as often as possible, just to remind myself where I was. Unfortunately, this part of Legian Beach has a stream outfall across the sand that always seems to smell of sewerage. It's basically the no-man's land between Seminyak and Legian beaches, so you can always walk away from it. Good shopping and nice budget restaurants in either direction from the hotel. ATM machines next door. Clubbing neighborhood means small and medium size discos are within shouting distance.

Worst part of my stay was that, despite hotel being far from fully occupied, they checked a very noisy couple into the room next to mine at 1:30 am, who immediately woke me up as they tried the electronic doorbell and the sliding glass balcony door, chatting and even arguing. Marble floors meant that the woman's heels were clacking along like a jackhammer only a couple meters away from my head. That made me realize that the interior walls were probably just the thinnest sheet rock (gyp rock), negating the considerable sleep value of my nice mattress. Then they were up again at 6 am. Sheesh! Surely late arrivals could be put into rooms staggered away from other guests.

New building/bad construction woes: Toilet tank wouldn't refill, tub drain improperly installed (very little room in draining mode) and the closet door was so poorly installed that the fancy automatic light inside stayed on unless I propped a heavy chair against the frame of the closet door to hold it shut.

Their promo calls themselves a boutique hotel, but this is no boutique (usually an intimate, classy, artistically designed place). It's the pack-em-in investment strategy of somebody from Jakarta.

Room Tip: Fifth floor is as high as the guest rooms go. Ask to be put away from elevators and ask that late arrivals not be checked into rooms adjacent to yours. Bring earplugs. Come to think of it, just go next door to the verdant Puri Naga.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FrugalMillionaire
Sing Ken Ken Ho... L, General Manager at Sing Ken Ken Lifestyle Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you indeed for your valuable comment and personal feedback in regards to your stay at our brand new hotel. It is with your help indeed that our team will have the chance to improve and enhance the guest experience as we all understand that you are spending your well deserved holidays here. Therefore let me ensure you that I as the leader of the team am dearly sorry for the points raised which were below your expectations and would like to apologize for that.
Our hotel is still in the opening phase which means that the plants are still growing and the rates are still very special for this year, despite having a great quality room and amenities which should be priced higher as you rightly mention. The team is still built up and receives plenty of good guest comments already, whilst we are aware that training needs to be continued. Some new staff members do not always understand right and are therefore advised to call their colleagues in order to avoid misunderstandings, if possible. Apparently this was not observed when you asked for the gym, which is free for inhouse guests but payable to (few) visitors. Please apologize. The whirlpool is not a public but private pool just for treatments and in the treatment area, therefore chargeable. Poolside chairs will be adde3d shortly and are already ordered as we understand the needs here.
Regarding the noise in Legian we are sure that everybody is aware that this is a busy area with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops near to the beach, where one can walk long distances or play surfing and enjoy beachlife just across the road from here. Construction is going on in Bali everywhere and this is beyond our control. However, our balcony doors are of high quality imported double glazed noise-reduction doors which literally keep the room relaxing quiet.
If the toilet tank does not refill or there is an issue with the tub, we have a 24-hours standby engineering team who can solve those issues within few minutes upon report. Same goes to the non-connecting closet light. However, we did not note any request in our records neither comment from our guest comment form which is concurrent with your mention here. We are checking all rooms daily to avoid those issues and do apology if this has been overseen by our team members. I have personally re-briefed the housekeeping team to double check the mentioned mishaps.
In a modern building like ours there might be some minor impact from hearing things due to the fact that we do not use carpet at all, which on the other hand is more hygienic. However I do agree that this is not everybody’s style and there might be caused disturbances. Our hotel is not empty at all which I must deny here, but since many guests are spending their time at the beach or surrounding area, you might not be able to see the crowd. This in fact leads to an atmosphere where at times you can feel that the pool or a corner at our wonderful seaview rooftop belongs to yourself. We even set up special tables on that terrace for romantic sunset dinners and get good comments for that.
Once again, let me on behalf of my team apologize for the unsatisfactory points and let me also thank you for the positive comments raised which all in all encourages us more to strive to greater heights in the near future.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a reasonable hotel in a area close to the Seminyak Beach. Well I chose this hotel, not knowing exactly where it was located, but wow it turned out to be a great find. Location, location for this hotel. Right on the beach, just across the road, close walk to the main street, Raya Seminyak, close to shops and very good restaurants. The staff are fantastic and friendly it makes you appreciate bali even more so. It is very very clean and maintained, breakfast is busy time, but you can order at the counter to get your own choices. I recommend this hotel to anyone, value for money and very warm and friendly.

Room Tip: The rooms are on the street, ask for a high room, it does get noisy at nights even though the rooms have solid sound proof doors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We usually stay in guest houses/hostels on the cheap side, but are so glad we opted for this hotel. I would love to model our home bathroom after this one, the rain shower and bathtub are combined in one section and the shower is awesome. As others have put, there is a clear view to the room so you could see people showering, but there is a blind that you can lower. The staff is top notch, helpful and always smiling, the fitness center is great, rooftop pool, fantastic buffet breakfast, and right across the street from the beach. Everything is great here. My wife made the comment, 'I wish we could take this hotel to Yogyakarta with us.'

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Recently opened Sing Ken Ken hotel is near the Legian Beach and many restaurants and nightclubs. The hotel is nice, quiet, clean and service is good. I had scheduled a massage twice at the spa but no luck... perhaps they were fully booked and didn't want to tell me (that was the only negative to this hotel). Otherwise I loved staying here. The rooftop pool is the best!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank awmoss
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We really liked this place, which is brand new and has really excellent, beautifully furbished rooms . Rooftop pool is beautiful and was empty when we were there. Staff were really friendly and attentive. Fitness centre is well equipped and comfortable.
A couple of things I would change:
*The spa. It is sort of like an afterthought, tacked on to the fitness centre. It does have a sauna and a jacuzzi, but we're in Bali - who needs a sauna? I'd be making this into more spa treatment rooms, but that's just my opinion, since I'm not a huge sauna user. Also, the spa room I was in was not private enough - just a semi transparent curtain to the main area of the spa, which when you're in paper panties and nothing else is a bit insubstantial. One wall is made of glass which can't be looked through from the outside, but it is quite unnerving seeing someone getting a foot massage right opposite your massage table! I think this needs work.
If you're really into your spa treatments, and you like the convenience of having them in the hotel, then this may not be the place for you. Having said that, my massage was good, so the staff are definitely trained. And we enjoyed the hotel in every other aspect.

There are some water features in the hallway, I think to minimise hallway noise by masking with the 'white noise' of water running. The water feature stops at night though, and we could hear water dripping when the water feature was off. Perhaps it was just our room.

Breakfast was great, everything seemed clean and sparkling new.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple