“excellent value for money”
Review of Sayang Maha Mertha

Sayang Maha Mertha
Ranked #83 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am currently staying in this hotel. Only booked 2 nights because of some bad reviews, but i have since booked another 4 and am likely to stay here for my whole duration of 9 nights.
It is not 5 star but at 250,000 rupiah a night it is fantastic value. I have not had one bad experience with staff. I am staying in a renovated air conditioned room and asked for that on the booking. I suggest only booking one night and paying cash for the rest of duration as my online booking was equivalent to 280000 rupiah. I have spent a bit of time in the pool talking to other guests that are staying in non air conditioned rooms and air conditioned rooms and they cant believe that it got bad reviews
either. i did see a review from someone who had stayed here many times and their last visit was awful. I suggest there is a chance you may get a bad room, but I am confident that they would change the room instantly if there was a complaint.
If you want a big pool dont stay, if you need something with a new look, dont stay.
The food is an excellent price except for breakfast 35000 for 2 eggs, bit of bacon, a 1 inch sausage fruit juice and toast, you can get a super supreme pizza for the same price at the bar, there is a free continental breakfast with booking 2 toast small fruit salad and top your own tea or coffee up.I will be recommending this hotel to all my friends.

Room Tip: ask for renovated room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Dave s
There are newer reviews for Sayang Maha Mertha

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The room was NASTY & TERRIBLE condition with gloomy & strong smell of mould...!! even worst BED BUGS living in bed!! OMG......i kinda ok with it and accept it without any complaint to the reception...thinking that "okay, i pay for cheap room, then what you expecting more"

things totally change with i got back from bali 2 day and ready to my next holiday destination...i found that the bud bugs had "MIGRATED“ in my cap!!! FREE RIDE BACK TO MY COUNTRY!!! not one or two bugs..ITS MORE THAN 5 BUGS LIVING INSIDE...EVEN WORST ITS LAYING EGGS .....OMG...its was NASTY, goose bump all way long & totally spoil my holiday mood...

although i pay for the cheap price, but hygiene issue was crucial...i rather sleep in airport rather share bed with ALL the bugs~~

Room Tip: Learn from this WORST experience, i rather pay for higher price to get CLEAN room instead of room wi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

on my first visit to Bali, my boyfriend and I happened to stay there for three weeks(certainly not by choice) because the booking was made in advance... on arrival we were met by unfriendly and unprofessional members of staff... little did i know that this would be the worse stay off my life.. the hotel room appeared to be quite old fashioned looking and even adopted the smell of mould..at night when we would go to sleep we would hear scratching in the ceiling i do believe it could of being rats!! the next few days turned into a nightmare the electricity tripped every 15 minutes and were lucky if it didnt, they left dirty towels with very unpleasant marks on them, did not attempt in the least to say to clean the bath tub nor the toilet. the worse thing that occurred on a daily basis was staff banging and yelling on the door for cleaning they were persistent and very annoying, not very familiar with customer service! upon ordering something to eat the waiter/waitress were extremely confused and constantly brought me wrong dishes, to my despair I noticed previous food stains on the plates and cutlery and refused to eat there on the rest off my stay... the place is very dirty, the service is poor and the staff is rude I wouldn't advise anyone to stay there at all and I certainly wont be returning again!! I found my stay to be so unpleasant that I felt the need to comment on trip advisor for the first time!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shannontaylor
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed for 3 weeks in this hotel....exept for location of hotel i cant say much more positive things that we experinece there....room not clean...they leave you dirty towels every morning....and staff is very rude and arogant...we had to deal with so called receptionst Nymoan who was very rude....i asked him for two tea spoons of sugar and i couldnt belive how he could react that much rude...he said "You paying for hotel not for sugar" in shouting tone....problem was not to pay for sugar but he even didnt have patient to listen to me....Defintly destroyed our Holiday in Bali...i must mention it that pool is extremly dirty and i havent see anyone cleaning it in 3 weeks that we stayed there....NEVER AGAIN COME BACK

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Yes it was cheap / average price for a traveller but the rooms were like sitting in a prison cell. There was no air con, the windows and balcony doors did not close, the toilet light was dim, one small mirror and the bed looked as if things were crawling in it. The pool was probally the nicest bit of the hotel. The included breakfast was a slice of toast...YUM. I would recommend stay at bakung sari instead, for the same money much better value.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2012

nice Balinese hotel spoilt by the staff, very noisy and unhealpful, breakfast is a battle, always something wrong, for the price if you can put up with bad staff, that run up and down the halls talking nonstop loudly,not doing their work properly, then go for it, a lot of rooms only have cold showers

Room Tip: potluck back area seemed the best
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived in Hotel Sayang Maha Mertha early Feb 2012. We had booked our room online because price wise it is so much cheaper then everywhere else. We got our room no problem, which to be fair was clean, and spacious.

Our main problem here is that their computer in the lobby is seriously comprimised and after doing some online bankng on it. We had $3,000AUS taken from our accounts. When we realised what happened we figured we would simply be able to call the banks freephone number and get it sorted out. However the hotel REFUSED to allow us to use their phones. even though the number was a freephone, specifically for international calls. even when we offered to pay they refused. we spent over $200.00 on phone credit trying to get this sorted because of how much it costs to ring from a mobile. (the freephone only works on landlines). When we asked where we could find a payphone we were told 'how would I know? I have a mobile, go look.' Tourist police in Legion were no use to us or the two people in the station with us who had just been robbed.

We had by this stage learned our hotel staff would be no help, but dangerously low on cash we decided to avail of the one free lunch offered, when you book 7 nights or more, only to be told that the internet lies. someone put that on the website by mistake.(In the hotels description).

Aside from the staff, the room was not cleaned once in 8 days even after we asked. The pool is nice but there is not enough sunbeds. The room itself is grand and there is a lot of bulding going on. hotel food is extremely basic and small portions (but most places do very small portions here). Restarunt is swarming in bugs.

Overall, The location is not great. its about a 30minute walk to Kuta, the rooms are nice and big but do not get cleaned, the pool is nice, but small, the staff are terrible and the price is cheap. After several months travelling this is my least favourite place I have stayed. A long walk to get anywhere. I would pay an extra bit to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Bali Ra Airport Hotel
Hotel Made Bali
Hotel Made Bali
#1 of 2 in Mengwi
Novotel Bali Ngurah Rai Airport

Been to Sayang Maha Mertha? Share your experiences!