“This is the best hotel we have stayed in at Bali”

Bali Court Hotel and Apartments
Ranked #53 of 88 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We have just returned from our second trip to Bali this year. Three lovely weeks is just not long enough. Again, we stayed at the Courtyard Hotel and Apartments in Legian and we just cannot fault this friendly, boutique style hotel. My husband and I travelled with friends and we stayed in the hotel rooms (previously we stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment but this wasn't available). The staff are fantastic, the hotel is quiet and very quaint and located in the heart of Legian. The hotel possibly appeals to couples and singles without children as the pool area isnt large but it is beautiful and faultlessly clean. I couldn't recommend this hotel any more highly.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dbucko

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We believed we were getting an apartment, through a misunderstanding. We work in Bali and have a lot of samples to move around, plus we hold meetings, so only ever stay in accomodation that meets these basic needs. On seeing the room, it was tiny. The towels were dirty and it had as much ambiance as a prison cell. Badly in need of refurbishing, stuck at the far edge of the property a bit like an after-thought.

I have thought long and hard about posting this review, as we ultimately did not stay there. However when we tried to explain our misunderstanding, and express our willingness to pay extra for an upgrade, the Australian manager demanded the full rental. I agree with a previous post that this man would have to be the rudest I have ever encountered in the service industry. I offered him an amount, to which he demanded I take my credit card to the counter and pay $100US (down from the original $300).

I've never been spoken to in this way before by anybody in the hospitality industry. It was unnecessary, as I was there to discuss, listen and reconcile our differences. I had hoped he would understand that the room simply wasn't suitable and accept our compensation for the cancellation, but it was his way or the highway. He was so angry, he was shaking.

Had he been polite, this review would not be necessary. His hotel was at 99% capacity and he openly said he was getting dozens of inquiries for a room everyday. If business was bad, I could understand his being upset. But I was offering compensation, no strings attached (ie: did not want it back if he booked the room, which was only 3 nights and starting on a Thursday night during what he tells me was an extremely busy time). I was the most upset I have ever been, his whole demeanour was incredibly rude and if this is how he resolves cancellations, then what happens when something really serious happens?

We are also in the service industry and if we treated customers like this, we would not have a business. Customers have a right to complain and to cancel if it isn't suitable for their purposes. He was unwilling to accept that there had been a genuine misunderstanding, and personally attacked me, calling me names.

I usually only post positive reviews but on this occasion, I feel strongly about the way I was spoken to. Even if I was completely wrong, there were far more humane ways to deal with the situation. In my opinion, if you have a problem, it is unlikely that management possesses the appropriate people skills to resolve it.

The overall view of the hotel is pleasant and I have heard good reports from people who have stayed in apartments. However with such an abundance of quality properties in Bali, I would not recommend this one over others. If you book a hotel room there, based on the price demanded and what I saw, I know you can get far better for far less in Kuta.

I am unable to comment on the apartments, so make no representation about these. Only the management demeanor and the hotel room that I saw.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
7  Thank Creatavision
Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed here 6 nights, and in general our stay was not bad.
The location is very good and the room was big enough.
Unfortunately the towels and the linens in the room were very dirty and the pillows were smelling very bad.
Internet is not for free (and in Bali many hotels they give it for free).
While we stayed there they were renovating one room.... we could hear people working till 7 PM in the night....... That was not good!
In general I saw that there is a lack of attention to small details that would make the guests happy.
I would recommend this hotel only with the Indonesian discounted rate.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danidive
Reviewed April 8, 2010

In terms of price this place comes up pretty well, its fairly near to the beach & nice places to eat, the rooms are a good size & we liked our ground floor pool side rooms which we had specifically requested. The pool is lovely & has plenty of shade, though not far off the temperature of bath water! The continental breakfast was good & the staff were very accomodating. The slight down sides & reasons i have not given 5/5 are, the rooms & particularly the bathroom have a bit of a funny smell, i think there is insufficient ventilation & some of the decor was a little tatty, eg lamps.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2010

for this price, its expensive, esp its located at legian. now adays there is so many boutique hotel, with cheaper and giving a free internet.

in this hotel 1h = 50k, 10h for =100k. my partner is a trader and she need internet access most of the days. and finally we checked out after one night. I love this place. its calm, good food and the staff were really polite. but too bad, my partner didnt like this place.

for a 9 years old hotel and its still in a good shape its a good thing. but, I still hate the blackish stain on their towels.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank redshappire
Reviewed March 20, 2010

My partner and I stayed here after being in South Kuta and what a relief it was to come here. The location is great, it's not right on the beach but not too far of a walk either. If you're not a beach person, the pool is very aesthetically pleasing. It isn't large, but very well designed. It has lots of restaurants and shops nearby. The staff here are great. They are very friendly and will always take a moment to chat with you.

Our room was serviced everyday and there were even welcome flowers when we arrived. They were beautiful. We did notice a few ants while we were there but a call to reception solved the problem.

On a side note: If you are an Asian girl and have a Caucasian partner, like myself, they will assume you are a prostitute but that seems to be the case almost anywhere you go in Asia. Just FYI.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I have stayed hear the last 2 years in Feb. 08 and 09 and am going again in Feb.2010.
This hotel is a small but cosy hotel, its in a nice area, walking distance to everything,
a little way from the beach, but a great place to stay for a relaxing holiday. I have never
seen any children staying here which suits the holiday my husband and I are looking for.
The staff are very friendly, the breakfast is nothing to write home about, but, it does the trick. All in all its not a 5 star hotel, but clean and friendly. I would recommend it for a
relaxing holiday, at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple