“A clean hotel with friendly smile. Totally recommended”
Review of The Spot Legian

The Spot Legian
Ranked #62 of 84 Hotels in Legian
Sydney, Australia
“A clean hotel with friendly smile. Totally recommended”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here during a friend's wedding. Nice refreshing colourful room. Ala carte breakfast is healthy, nice and delicious. Staff is very helpful and speak good English . They are very friendly and make sure your stay is good. Bathroom and rooms are clean. Big thanks to Gede and Sri who made my stay more than pleasant. Location is very good , and easy to get motorbike rental and taxi.

• Stayed July 2012
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear MissyAvidTraveler

Thank you very much for taking time and reviewing us. I am glad that we are serving you well and your experience is more than pleasant. As you know , our rooms are different color set, so you are more than welcome to stay at other rooms if you ever come back to visit us again.

I will pass on your compliments to Gede and Sri and I hope you have a very great week.

The Spot Legian Team

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Indonesian first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The Spot Legian is a hotel located at Jl. Legian , very near to Bali Bomb museum and Pub area of Kuta,Bali.

Price of hotel is not matching with the poor facilities.Hotel rooms are below norms and normal things like water heater,hair dryer and tissue box also not available in room.

Rooms having different name like Friends,Historian,Beatles, India but nothing different except wall color behind bed. Room nos not mentioned on door and no indication given about rooms on floor once you come out from elevator.

Roof top restro serve breakfast which is inclusive in room tariff but no choice to select your breakfast as menu is fixed.

In totality I give it Poor ranking and advise to select other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: This hotel choice can be made if you did not get any other hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Mr. Alok

Thank you very much for taking time to review us . We are sorry that we fail to create a good impression of your previous stay. Our rooms are coloured differently and additional ammenities are available upon request. We are sorry that you were not informed about that. We are glad to fulfill our guests' request and when you feel something is lacking in the room, you are more than welcome to ask from us. Really, we'd be happy to deliver it to you.

Rooms are arranged in alphabetical order, and it's our job to help guests find the room initially by sending a Housekeeping staff when checking in.

At the bottom line, we are sorry if we fail to deliver an exceptional service to your standard. Hopefully, you will find a confidence again to stay with us in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Nice n cosy n reasonable hotel at Legian. A nice place for one to rest their day without much stress. A nice bar at top level with nice breeze.

But the floor in the room need to be clean thoroughly as we can't walk round the room without the slipper on. It kinda of sticky...

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Jennylim78,

Thank you very much for reviewing us and I am glad that you had a good experience and you found that our Bar is breezy. I will certainly pass on the notes about the Floor to our Housekeeping staff. We hope to see you soon again.
Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights - had 4 nights in the Union Jack room (4th level, great chilled out colours and minimal noise ) and 1 night in the Simpsons Room (4th level, light and bright room, however the bathroom smelt like spetic and if you kept the door open it made us gag!). Rooftop pool had amazing views but the breakfast menu could use a bit more imagination and tie in with the 'theme hotel' and need more staff - one waitress was not enough! The location is great for the party people as its behind the strip of clubs and pubs! Staff were always friendly and happy to have a chat with you or give you advise on things to do....

Room Tip: Stay on a lower level to avoid the noises of the clubs at night and the rooftop music of the morning
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Ms. Laladodol.

We are very glad that you found our location is very good. We certainly hope you had fun in Bali too. Thank you for your comments on the toilet , we will investigate the matter soon. Best Regards

The Spot Legian
Ottawa
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stay in the hotel for 6 days with my family and occupied 3 rooms all of which were very clean and spacious. The staff are very polite and willing to assist at anytime of the day, the food was very good and the view from the roof top restaurant is breathe taking. It is within walking distance to any place you would want to go.
On my next visit I will once again stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear Mr. Curtis, L
Thank you for choosing to stay with us!
We would just like to thank you for all your lovely feedback and that the Spot Legian is your perfect hotel! As we appreciate all of our return guests please feel free to contact us directly when choosing to stay with us again so we may have the opportunity to continue to be your number one destination when returning to Bali
Best Wishes.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I was very excited to stay in this hotel, I tried very hard to be positive and enjoy it and not be picky. At the end of the day it was just a letdown. The idea of themed rooms is fantastic, the lobby is cool and the LOCATION is great (if you want to go out and party). The staff were nice and always happy to help (call a taxi etc).
But there were some REALLY REALLY BAD elements that ruined the stay.

THE ROOM: I am sure I got the worst room in the hotel. The Garfield room is at the front of the hotel, looking at a horrible electricty transformer. More of a concern than the bad view was when i was laying in bed one night I heard a big boom, saw a flash of light outside the window and the power went down. I was too close to that for comfort. The walls and doors of the hotel are thin. All night I could hear the ding ding of the elevater twice every time someone used it. I could hear every noise made by a group of locals who hang out outside the window. music and scooters. When some children came and stayed in the hotel, their parents allowed them to run around the floors and lobby screaming and yelling and I could hear this word for word in the hotel room. I had a terrible nights sleep every night.This was not helped by the fact the curtains in the room are SHEER. I was too afraid to put lights on at night for fear the people who stand in the street could see me through them. Also, trying to sleep in is not an option as the sun comes right through. What upsets me most is that I do not believe the hotel was full and yet I was given the room in the worst position with the worst view and probably the most noise.

The hotel says it has premium cable channels. It had only a few channels all of which were in Indonesian which I would assume most foreign guests would not understand. Wifi is not available in the rooms (even though I would be happy to purchase it) and there was no safety deposit box or fridge. Basically what this meant is that there was nothing to do in the room but sleep, and it too noisy and light for even that!! It was extremely boring. The only major plusses were that the bed was comfy and the aircon cooled the room well.

The bathroom was small but good enough in a budget hotel. The toilet was clean, the shower was hot and the basin was also clean and in good order. The only thing to complain about here was that the grout in the shower tiles had some mould in it and needed to be scrubbed. The shower base itself, glass, taps and soap dispensers were all sparkling clean so no major complaints in this area.

The room looked great at first but on closer inspection the building work was aweful. None of the power points or lights sat flush to the wall, there was still sawdust inside the bathroom cupboard from when it was fitted and there were gaps and wires visable around the ceiling.
The stairs up to the room were narrow and scary- take the lift if you have had a few drinks.

The pool on the roof/view were amazing and it was a good place to be. Breakfast was not very good but it did the job filling me up before I went out to find something nicer. The staff in the restaurant were also friendly and nice. I would like to make the point of saying that I had no issues with the staff. I was walked to my room, they called a taxi for my family who were staying in Seminyak and did not mind them visiting me and spending time in my room, especially on the last day after they had to check out of their hotel and needed somewhere to store their bags. Also, Fabulously Feet downstairs give great foot massages with much nicer oils than anywhere else in the area for the same place. Its very pretty in there and they are nice people. Give them some business if you can!

Overall, I would probably not stay here again. Between being driven insane by the elevator, noise from the street and children in the hotel to having nothing to do in the room but sleep and feel boredom and the dissapointment of looking around the room and seeing these building problems and eating average breakfasts it does not feel like somewhere I would stay again. I am sure the hotel was not full and I could have been in a better room and yet they put me in the Garfield room anyway.

If you are in Legian to drink/party and you are with a friend, this hotel would be fine. The location is really really good (just down a side road next to the bomb memorial with sky bar on the corner) and I really liked the ability to walk anywhere I wanted to go. Just don't expect anything special and I would suggest asking for a different room if they try to put you in Garfield.

I think the hotel could easilly improve itself because it is half way there. Great location, nice staff and a cool theme but they need to work on their finishing (wifi availability in the rooms, safety deposit boxes and possibly bar fridges). They also need to make sure they use their good rooms first and only put people in the rooms on the front of the hotel like Garfield when there are no other options.

Finally I warn anyone going to stay here about the stall holders in the street.
They are aggressive bordering on abusive and will try anything to get you in. Don't let them give you free gifts or tell you sob stories. Don't let them guilt you or trick you. Some of them are nicer than others. Just be strong, say no, keep walking and do not stop. They make the street a horrible place to walk down. Some of the local men who hang around in the street as well are perverts and if you are a single woman don't even make eye contact.

I really wanted to like this hotel but I have to be honest based on my experience and my experience was not good.

If you are in Legian/Kuta to party and want a comfy bed in a good location this hotel would be fine. If you want to be comfortable to spend time in your room and easy access to the internet don't bother.

Room Tip: Get one at the back of the hotel!!! way away from the street. AVOID GARFIELD ROOM
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank miss-rachael-leigh
, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Miss- Rachel- Leigh

First of all, thank you so much for choosing to stay us and we are very ashamed when you are not happy with our rooms and service. We apologize for the disappointment and we hope we could correct the problems in the future. I inspect the room, and turned out that the mould that you mention, was not a mould, it was a splash of the paint. We had fixed it. The power supply that was not correctly fitted to the wall -, we fixed it too. The noise from the elevator, we fixed it too (it is now not making any sounds at all). Regarding the noise from the outside, we are working on it.

Please do not worry about the curtain, it is not possible to see the inside from the outside.

We are slowly upgrading the in-room facilities such as the internet in every room and safe deposit is being added slowly. At the time of your stay, the cable channel was faulty and therefore it was unavailable in the guests' room.

Thank you for your compliment on our pool view.
In all aspects, we thank you for your critics, and we really hope that you will one day, perhaps in the future, find us attractive enough to stay.

Best Regards,
Nathania Regina
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Themed hotels are very trendy these days, and I think it's a great idea. Hotels are no longer only providing a room to sleep during your vacation/trip, they also provide a lifestyle. You could choose a hotel room/theme according to your personality.
However, I have never heard a themed hotel opening in Indonesia before. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I think The Spot at Legian is the first themed hotel in Indonesia. That is why, when a friend told me about it, I knew I had to book at least a night stay there during my trip to Bali last week.
I was a bit skeptical about The Spot's area before. It was located in Legian, the hustle and bustle area of Bali. Now, I'm not saying that it's a bad area, in fact many tourists love it because Legian is THE place if you want to have fun. That's where the hottest clubs and nightlife places are. However, whenever I go to Bali I prefer a relaxing, lazing by the beach type of holiday. So staying at the heart of Legian was not my first choice, since I thought it was going to be really noisy. However, I still wanted to give The Spot a try.
When I checked in, I asked for "Union Jack" room as I was attracted to the room design which I think is a bit "Brit-Rock"ish. That room was not available for that evening. So they put me in "Monalisa" room. At first I thought Monalisa room was going to be a room with a replicated Monalisa painting hanging on the wall. To my surprise, Monalisa room is so cute! The room walls are dark green on some sides. There are 3 big posters hanging on top of the bed. The first poster has picture of the cartoonised version of Monalisa drinking coffee, the second one eating spaghetti, and the third one showed "9pm" clock and she was sleeping. Too bad I didn't bring a decent camera with me, but do check out The Spot website or blog, they have picture of the posters.
The room was decent sized. I have stayed in even smaller budget hotel rooms with more expensive rate, so I think this is all right. Even in the bathroom, there's still quite a room to "breathe".
The bed was really comfortable, unlike some hotels with really thin uncomfortable bed that gave me backache in the morning. I was really happy with the Monalisa room.
Since I was curious what other rooms were like, I asked one of the receptionist girls to show me some other rooms that were available. She politely and kindly showed me around. All the rooms in The Spot have different wall colours and themes. What pleased me was... they have popular culture themes, such as "Audrey Hepburn" room, "Friends" room, "The Simpsons" room and many more. That would make people who, let's say, is a die-hard fan of Audrey Hepburn, feel intrigued and would love to visit Bali and stay in that room! What a great idea :)
After the "room tour" (which I thought was really awesome, more awesome than touring the monkey forest ;P), the receptionist lady told me about Fabulously Feet, a nail salon slash reflexology place located beside the hotel (but still within the hotel building). To be honest I've ever been to Fabulously Feet in Sanur a few times before, and I loved their mani pedi, so I didn't mind and gave it a try. It was decorated similarly as the one in Sanur, with colourful lanterns hanging on the ceiling, purple sofas (which are SOOOO comfortable). I think Fabulously Feet suits the theme of The Spot because they are also colourful and funky.
In the evening, I was surprised to find that the Monalisa room was not at all noisy. I slept really well that night. My friend who was staying in the India room which was right across Monalisa room was also saying that she wasn't troubled by any noises from the clubs. I believe some of the rooms there MIGHT be more prone to the club noises. So if you go there as a family or want to have more relaxing holiday, do ask the receptionists for rooms that are not too noisy.
The next morning I went to the rooftop bar for my breakfast. The rooftop bar was not very ready yet as they were still renovating the pool. I had the full breakfast which was : toasts, omelettes, muffin and a glass of pineapple juice. The choc chip muffins was one of the best muffins I've ever had in my life. It was so fluffy.
So overall, I think The Spot is a very interesting and exciting hotel, especially for those who wants to experience Bali's hottest nightlife, The Spot in Legian IS the place to stay. As for the service, it was decent enough. After all, it's Bali. I've hardly been disappointed of Balinese hospitality. They're all very nice and very polite. Since I go to Bali quite often, I MUST pre-book the Union Jack room next time.

Room Tip: choose the Monalisa room, you won't be disappointed. Don't expect the typical replica of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Wita86
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Wita86

Thank you very much for your very positive review and thank you very much for your kind compliments. I have passed on your words to our team to celebrate.

Our rooms are specially designed to create refreshing ambience for guests who are staying in and be part of the refreshment for those that are coming for holiday with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and were fascinated with our Monalisa Room, certainly Monalisa room is one of our pride to "re-create" a Masterpiece of a famous artist at The Spot Legian. Thanks a lot for your compliment on our muffin - I will pass it along to the Breakfast Team.

We hope to see you next time and have a good day.

Best Regards
The Spot Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
MaxOneHotels @ Legian
#112 of 251 in Kuta
Bali Chaya Hotel
Bali Chaya Hotel
#45 of 84 in Legian

Been to The Spot Legian? Share your experiences!