“better than expected” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Jayakarta Bali Beach Resort
Ranked #57 of 84 Hotels in Legian
“better than expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed for a quick 4 night trip, early September, with a friend who had already booked a deluxe room. Not a place i would normally think of staying but was pleasantly surprised. Room was ground floor near the tennis courts, small verandah area that recieved a nice ocean breeze, small room with twin very comfortable beds,bathroon ok with shower over bath. Grounds were large, nice pools, lots of loungers and some shade. A mix of ages, couples and family groups. I didnt eat at the hotel but my friend had their buffet breakfast which she said looked just ok. All she would eat was the boiled eggs and a piece of fruit. The food offered next to the pool looked to me unappealing.. Location was handy to the strip of restaurants on the beach front so we would eat there. Also close to one of my favourite spas so I was happy. Quite surprised with the overall rundown feel and shabbiness in that general area sorrounding the hotel, with all the building works going on.I havent stayed around there for a while and have never noticed things looking so bad.I'm glad that i didnt ask another friend who hasnt been to Bali before- as she would have hated it. All in all, I would probably stay there again for a brief visit or if i had a young family and the price suited, but would stay in the same rooms located near the ocean front, not down the back near the road .

Room Tip: ground floor near tennis courts
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank molly_p62

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The one and two bedroom apartments are located in blocks A and B to the left and right of main entrance. It is a bit of a walk to the restaurant and pool areas. We had three one bedroom apartments, two of which were located in block A and the other one in block B. The two in block A had an adjoining door and was ideal as there was one adult and five children.
The block B unit was on the second floor and consisted of a large lounge/kitchenette area as you entered from the corridor. This area contained a small TV with limited English speaking channels, small bar frig, sofa, table and two chairs. The kitchenette contained a sink and a microwave with plates crockery cups etc. There are plenty of cupboard space and storage areas for suitcases etc. The bedroom contained a large queen size bed with comfortable mattress and pillows (bed was firm but not as hard as others I have slept in whilst in Asia). There is a smallish wardrobe and large dressing table. There are plenty of drawers for storage.
The bathroom can be accessed via a sliding door from the bedroom or another door from the corridor between the lounge area and bedroom.
There is a small veranda which looked into the rather unattractive back wall of the adjacent hotel
Some units in Block B are also managed by Club Bali as a separate entity to the Jayakarta. I believe these units are either privately owned or time share but a number of them that I saw had been renovated and were better quality than the Jayakarta managed units. They seem to be reasonable priced and would be worth while checking. You get the use of Jayakarta facilities whilst staying in the Club Bali units
The units in block A were similar design and easily accommodated six people, two adults, two teenagers and two children. The sofa can be pulled down and made up into a bed. The main bedroom in one of the units contained two single beds and the other had a double bed.
There is air-conditioning \in both the lounge and bedroom areas.
Jayakarta has extensive well manicured gardens in which the ordinary rooms are located to a maximum of three stories but most blocks are only two stories high. There are three pools whith sun beds which get claimed fairly quickly. There is also a raised platform area overlooking the beach which is shaded by large trees which also has sun beds views to the beach/surf and tends to get the cooling sea breezes (is my preference as there is not a lot of shade directly around the swimming pools
This hotel is frequented by families with children and in school holidays is very popular with Aussies but it can be quite noisy in the pool area with kids playing.
It is also frequented by a younger party type and I have heard reports of noisy goings on in the pool area until the early hours of the morning so I would avoid getting a room near the pool if you want peace and quiet.
There are two restaurants, one near the inner pool just down from reception and another fronting on to the beach which is nice in the mornings to watch the waves. Breakfast is adequate but relatively basic.
This hotel is ideally located right on the beach and there is a flagged swimming area nearby. It is popular with surfers and there are many vendors selling icy cold beers and other drinks on the beach – popular spot from about 4pm onwards to meet people swap stories about ‘how much you paid for the T shirt etc’ and watch the sun go down. The sellers and massage ladies tend to ply their wares and can be a little annoying if you are hot and bothered however two or three icy cold bin tangs will normally relax you.
There is no wifi in the rooms but it is available in the lobbies or at the business centre
There are three swimming pools with towels available on most occasions however there were times that they ran out of towels and on one occasion stated that they had not clean towels so it may be worthwhile bringing your own beach towels just in case. People tend to claim the sun beds fairly early in the morning by putting towels on them. Most annoying when there are no beds available and no one is using the ‘reserved’ beds.
There are signs at the entrance indicating that guests cannot bring food or drink into the complex from outside but this does not seem to get enforced. There are a number of small supermarkets type shops for basic essentials e.g. water, alcohol and other items just outside the front gate together with a variety of other stalls selling the normal items. If you exit the main entrance gate and turn left there is a mini mart with a small booth in front of it operated by “Mrs KETUT’, a money changer. Changed money with her many times and found her to be very honest on each transaction.
We found the rooms had a bit of a problem with mosquitoes so we used mosquito coils for the veranda and sprayed the room each time we went out however there was still the odd one buzzing around my ear in the middle of the night (hate that)
There are a number of rooms in both blocks that face west looking over the gardens and it a pleasant outlook the only drawback being that in the afternoon the sun blazes into them and it would be too hot to sit outside and enjoy a drink until after sunset.
The rooms in general are quiet although you can hear other guests padding about in their rooms and the scraping of chairs across the floor from time to time but it was not enough to bother us.
The units are not five stars but are clean and neat and my travel agent tells me they are slightly cheaper than the normal rooms.
There is an area near the main pool where you can get a massage on site. The girls that do the massage are not employed directly by the hotel but by a contractor. The cost, $12 per hour, is marginally more expensive than on the beach or that the massage places outside the hotel but I believe they are far superior to what you will receive elsewhere. The girls receive $15 per month retainer and only $1.20 per hourly massage so a small tip if you are happy helps make their lives a bit easier.
The hotel provides a free shuttle service to Kuta during the day but a metered taxi is only about $3 (Aus)
For excellent nearby restaurants walk out the front of the complex and turn right and then directly left. On the left is Yut’z and Monsoons(try the homemade pies) see separate TA posts.
ALL the staff were wonderful, friendly, welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MicknOlga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

The Jayakarta is a lovely hotel with grounds to match. The accommodation and facilities are a little dated but overall are in good condition. We stayed in the two bedroom apartments and when checking in were spoken to in quite a harsh tone by the man at check in telling us there was a seperate check in for the apartments. The only major complaint we had was that one of the air conditioners was broken in our room and we were not offered any compensation and the problem was not fixed for our 9 night stay. Overall was a enjoyable stay but maintenance could be better.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Exacute
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had read the reviews of the Jayakarta and was prepared for what might confront my family for our first stay in Bali at this hotel. When we arrived late at night we went to the main Reception to be told we were at the wrong Reception. After finding the correct Reception (out of the 3) we were shown to our room in the Bali Club Building. My initial though and discussion was can you show me another room. Our room backed onto the neighbouring building and a drain that smelled pretty average at times. As it was after Midnight our porter asked me to call in the morning to organise to change it. We had 3 staying in the 1 bedroom apartment and the sofa had not been prepared so we had to wait for housekeeping to come to make up the Sofa. My initial thoughts were this place is average. In hindsight I think it was the culture shock more than anything I was experiencing. The room was fairly clean but definitely dated. After sleeping on it, we realised that we were only sleeping in the room and exploring Bali for most of our time here and didn't bother to change rooms. The pools and grounds were awesome! The breakfast was average but ok! We loved the location and in the end decided that this hotel was pretty good. Next time back we said we will stay at the Jayakarta but will avoid the Bali Club Building and ensure we have a garden view. Overall it is reasonably cheap and the staff are ok. I think the location,pools and Gardens really won us over. I am glad that I did the reviews and was somewhat prepared for what confronted us on our arrival. I can see how people are disappointed when the don't know what to expect.

Room Tip: Stay clear of the Bali Club Building.
2 Thank 280brianh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment for 5 nights. After being dropped off at the main reception we went up to check in and we're told we are at the wrong reception. It was very late at night and we just wanted to sleep, the grumpy man told us to walk up the road and turn right so we did and it took a few minutes of looking around to work out where to go as no one followed us or showed us where to go. Eventually we checked in and headed to the room, even though the hotel was told in advance that there would be 3 adults in the room they didn't set up the sofa bed so we rang reception and asked them to do it and they said no ring housekeeping so we rung housekeeping. 1/2 hour later they came and set up the bed. We ordered room service and it was absolutely vial. We didn't end up eating it. The rest of our stay went well except for sleeping. The sofa bed is not suitable for an adult. The hotel grounds and pool are lovely but would not make us stay here again. The rooms/apartments need work and housekeeping needs to do a better job of cleaning the rooms. Overall it was pretty poor for the price.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nick255103

Travelers are raving about these Legian hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My stay at JAYAKARTA was excellent ,I asked for a room by the pool I got it . The staff from cleaners to the duty managers were awesone , The duty managers were more than helpful there names MARTIN , TAMA . Everything I expected I got . I sent them a email before leaving Australia , And on arrival its like they new me I never been there before but my brother had , I was so sick due to food poisoning from the airline I had flown with on arrival to JAYAKATA they treaded me really well as they could see I was not well, they ushered me straight to my room which was in a top position room 211 which was so close to the pool, I was sick for a couple of days and the duty managers come past everyday to see how I was . I will be going back in 2014 with my family for 1 month because of the way I was treated by staff / food / location thanks JAYAKARTA.

Room Tip: Send a email through travel agent and send a personal email as well, room 211, 215, are by the pool...
2 Thank peter p
Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Expected relatively budget but was very dissapointed. Massive complex with two hotel style building at the front which we stayed in - very tired and not very clean. The grounds were ok and the location is great but thats it. There is definitely better out there. the staff weren't overly firend either.

• 1 of 5 bubbles