“Great family get away!”

Padma Resort Legian
Ranked #2 of 88 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've lived in Indonesia for nearly 8 years and subsequently in Malaysia, Macau, Singapore and New Zealand. In the last 24 months, my husband and I have travelled to London, France, Italy , Spain, Australia, Vietnam, Thailand, Bali and Lombok. I'm a little behind with my reviews on our travels but I hope to find time to write about the hotels that we've stayed in. Our next stopover is Beijing Qing Dao and Beijing - so watch that space. We've just returned from Bali - thought I should write something whilst its fresh in my mind.

Now about Padma.....
It was a last minute decision to spend our Easter in Bali. After reading some of the positive reviews on tripadvisor we chose Padma (and it was available during this busy time) If you're travelling with a group and family - this is a highly recommended place. It is located at the end of Kuta beach. Legian Beach/Seminyak Beach is quieter in comparison to Kuta.

When we booked this place we knew that it was going to be big and busy place (popular with Aussies) but we did request for a chalet in the quiet part of the hotel. We were unfortunately given a room facing the boundary that has a little side street and adjacent to another resort. So, you can imagine the level of traffic noise. I think if we've made enough fuss the hotel would probably move us to another room. The hotel staff were apologetic when they found out that we were unhappy with the location of our room but we were contacted on the last day of our 4 day stay - it was a tad too late to move. Our check in went smoothly except that the porter forgot to bring our bags to our room. So, if you decide to stay here - look at the hotel map and make sure you get the right location. Highly recommended - chalet facing the fountains. Request for the top floor as you get more privacy. But, if you have young (not toddlers) kids/teenagers - they would probably love the lagoon rooms- the busier / noisier part of the resort.

Now on the positive side of the place - The hotel grounds are beautiful - very friendly staff, good hotel facilities, nice pools, generous size rooms, generous spread of breakfast and good location for shopping. One good thing about the resort is that you can always find a quiet little spot even though we stayed during one of their busiest weekends. Once you exit the hotel - the street shops, cafes and restaurants are dotted along Legian Road. My husband and I walked the stretch of road till we got to Seminyak. The shopping gets better at Seminyak. Near the hotel there's a mall called "Beach Walk" that has more mainstream brands eg Mango, Pull & Bear etc there are also a number of nice cafes and restaurants at this mall - this is about 10 minutes walk along the beach from the hotel. We love Balinese food - don't forget to try restaurants that served local dishes eg Bakmi goreng, Satay, Soto Ayam, Gado Gado and Nasi Campur. We found our old haunt for some real Balinese food - Poppies but, when we got there the place looked tired, there were clutter of the tables and all 3 of their staff completely ignored us - we waited for a while and finally decided to flag it - we found a lovely restaurant along Kuta Beach instead. On the whole a good break - The Balinese are gentle, beautiful and friendly people - I think that what makes Bali so special.

A few tips:

# Shopping : Bargaining is acceptable - Rule of thumb you usually pay around a1/3 of asking price but don't start bargaining unless you're serious about buying.
# Bring some insect repellant
# If you drink red wine, bring your own (most hotel serve their red wines chilled)
# Try their local beer - Beer Bintang
# Tipping is common ( waiters get an average of 800,000 to 1 million rupiah a month)

Selamat Jalan.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the boundary/street. Chalets facing gardens and fountain/water features are...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JWhite60

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I always feel like I am at home at the Padma. I am due there again in June this year fir the third year in a row, we stayed in interconnecting deluxe chalet for 16 nights last year and I can't wait another minute. The food at breakfast is beyond world class and so much good quality variety. The staff are angels and the facilities are fabulous. I must say to the Padma you really need to up grade all the equipment in the gym it is vastly outdated. It gets really busy in the gym with top up trainers maintaining their usual routines, it's a great atmosphere. We look forward to coming home to our chalets.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Genst

5 great things about this resort:

1) Hotel Room: We upgraded our room to Superior when we arrived to include The Club. Our room was spacious and modern with a hint of Balinese decor. We had no issues whatsoever and our room was thoroughly cleaned each day with plenty of plush towels. The shower was very large and there was a separate tub (but we didn't use the tub). We also had a ground level unit with a private patio overlooking the grounds with a statue of a dragon. The main level unit was pretty private, only a passerby on a few occasions. The only noise we ever heard was from the cleaning people who swept early in the morning and that could be a little loud. Otherwise--- pretty perfect!
2)Location: Hotel is located across the street from the beach and very close to the town. We didn't get a chance to really go to the beach (only a couple of quick visits) because there was a cyclone off the coast that made it impossible to go into the water and sand was flying all around-- very uncomfortable. The only complaint is the bombardment of women trying to sell hair braiding, sarongs, jewelry each time you enter the beach. Be prepared for this.
3) Amenities: We enjoyed both pools, the grounds, and the restaurants. The lagoon pool was a fun place to enjoy a dip, especially since it had some shady areas to avoid direct sun. It also seemed to be favored by the children and it had some swim-out rooms on this pool, which made it a busier and a littler louder pool than the other one. The main pool near the beach was huge and ideal for doing some laps. I also took advantage of the aqua aerobics class. The main restaurant had a huge buffet with plenty to offer every kind of visitor; traditional Balinese or Asian breakfast with noodles and soups, Western breakfast with eggs and bacon, and Continental breakfast with an assortment of muffins, doughnuts, etc...This was a great start to our morning.
4) Staff: Everyone at the hotel was excellent. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and the hotel sent us a small cake to our room. My husband even asked the staff to specifically make a towel sculpture of a white dog for me to find one morning (since I missed my dog back home. They often make towel sculptures in the room. The front desk concierge was very helpful with our questions about sights in Bali, shipping items overseas, restaurants, etc...
5) Maintenance: Everywhere we went the grounds were kept perfectly, the staff was friendly, and the hotel in great condition.

TIP:
We upgraded to The Club and enjoyed some of their cocktail hours with free alcoholic drinks. But, although most mornings we enjoyed the buffet more so than the a la carte menu that is offered for Club guests, we still could sit in The Club with our buffet breakfasts and enjoy the air conditioning. This was really nice on extra humid or steamy mornings. I think The Club is a nice addition, but we couldn't have had enough cocktails in a day purchased at the pool bar for example to offset the cost of The Club upgrade and on a few occasions it was difficult to find seating in the small air-conditioned room during the cocktail hour and we had to sit outside with the smokers and the heat.

Room Tip: Main level rooms may offer a passerby once in awhile, but privacy is still very good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kari K
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just recently stayed at the Padma over the Easter break. I was a little disappointed with the check in experience. After informing us that breakfast was served at 6.30 to 10.30 in that room (pointed), there was no further information. We were there for only a few nights and were not told of any restaurants they had or gym etc. On the first night we asked in the breakfast room bar if there was a pool bar. The guy told us no, that that was the only bar. A couple of days later we found the Terrace Bar. We paid $300 per night for my husband and I with our teenage daughter. I would expect that the information should be given direct on check in. I also expect a copy of the hotel layout on check in and if we had been given that, the lack of information the receptionist told us would have been found on looking at the map. Another point is that the hotel now classes its lead in rooms as deluxe. Whilst the rooms were nice, they are in a huge building (4 floors) where doors start to open and shut around 7 am as there are plenty of families staying in the building (the lower rooms open to the lagoon access) so I would advise staying in the deluxe chalets which are a lot quieter. Overall, the location of the hotel is really good, walk out and you are surrounded by bars and restaurants however it is a very large hotel and for those looking to meet people I wouldn't suggest this is the place. Breakfast was extremely busy, people rushing around all the time and could not believe they charged for coffee if you wanted a latte or special coffee. Truly, we paid a lot of money for this stay and they couldn't give you coffee? Sorry, that is just not good enough.

Room Tip: If you haven't got small children, stay in the deluxe garden chalets, its much quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank checkbeforeyoubook
PadmaResort_GM, General Manager at Padma Resort Legian, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Valued Reviewer

Greetings from Padma Resort Bali!

Thank you for your review of our resort.

I’m sorry that your stay with us wasn’t received positively as we would’ve liked. I’ve taken your feedback on board and addressed each point you raised with my team for our future improvements.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at another time, to change your view of our resort.

Sincerely

T Soerjanto
Director of Operations

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This place is HUGE and there is nothing short to do here. I got lost the first day there, luckily there is a map of the place in an area that you have to walk by. The service was just amazing, clean quiet and very friendly. Nothing was a bother. My son especially enjoyed the fish and turtle feeding, the spa was a great experience and I would highly recommend it. The food was fantastic and they cater for anyone with special dietry conditions and without complaint. They were doing works around the main pool and restuarant but i expect that when I return next time it is going to look amazing. My son also loved the kids club and his babysitter which gave my husband and I peace of mind to go out and enjoy ourselves without feeling to guilty. I would definately recommend this place to anyone with or without kiddies and are we are looking forward to booking our next holiday there again soon.

Room Tip: Room 135 is a very secluded lagoon access room. Chalet garden rooms feel abit far from pools and re...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tonia186
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Ok, this is now my second holiday in Bali. In may 2012 we came to Bali and stayed at the Westin in Nusa Dua, which was absolutely amazing and a perfect dream holiday . Thought we would try the other side this time (Legian). so i researched a hotel that would have the same atmosphere as the Westin so i picked the Padma, The staff were amazing, the grounds are gorgeous and it does offer everything you would want and need from a 5 star resort. BUT....... The breakfast was terrible!! very repetitive, and if you have to pay extra for the breakfast DON'T.the last few days i didn't even go to breakfast at the resort, the local cafes were so delicious and cheap,i couldn't even bare the thought of fish curry nasi goreng etc first thing in the morning.the beach is filthy, you cant swim in the water.there are no beautiful lounges on the beach supplied by the hotel. depends what you want from a holiday. there is a lot more happening on the legian side then nusa dua but i loved the quiet relaxing atmosphere. lounging on the beautiful day beds on the beach and cooling down in the beach water at Nusa Dua Westin. I highly recommend the Spa treatment at Padma, it was absolutely AMAZING.!!! 2 and half hours of bliss two girls attending to my every need.rose petal bath and a 4 hand massage.Probably wouldn't stay at padma again sadly, i suppose i expected more.

Room Tip: rooms on the lagoon side are quieter at night but you have to pay more
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Padma during Easter with our 5 and 4 year old kids. It is our 6th time we have stayed there and the place just gets better and better. Location perfect, food delicious, breakfast so much to choose from YUM!
The kids club was great and we couldn't keep our kids away from there! And it's all includes in your stay.
We stayed in a deluxe suite which was good for the kids to draw and play before bed. The level of service was excellent!
One of the staff 'SENTI' was so helpful and remembered us from our previous stays. She went over and beyond to ensure our stay was perfect.
My kids grew to love her and so did we.
Her smile and greet everyone morning was infectious and throughout the day constantly asked about our day and if we needed anything.
We will be back to Padma again next year just so we can see Senti again and receive the service we did from her everyday. Thanks for the beautiful memories!
I highly recommend this hotel!
Jen Melbourne

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank sjlotus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Legian Beach Hotel
Legian Beach Hotel
#13 of 88 in Legian
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa
Pullman Bali Legian Beach
The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa
The Magani Hotel and Spa

Been to Padma Resort Legian? Share your experiences!