“Service exceeded expectations!”

Ranked #2 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Sydney, Australia
“Service exceeded expectations!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights and we couldn't be more pleased by the wonderful hospitality shown to us at the Padma Resort. We were met at the airport for our hotel transfer in a very nice, clean and comfortable car which was a welcome relief after arriving in Bali quite late from Sydney. From the moment we arrived, we were well looked after by staff who did everything to help us settle in. The welcome drinks were a lovely surprise - very refreshing after a long flight without any catering! Shortly after check-in we were showed to our room by a very friendly and pleasant staff member, whose name unfortunately escapes me. We were very impressed by our room, which was one of the Deluxe Chalets on an upper floor which overlooked the garden. We also requested the password for the complimentary Wi-Fi, which we found to be very fast and reliable.

As it was quite late and weren't confident that eating establishments outside the Resort would be open, we ordered room service, which was delivered promptly and very delicious. We enjoyed a restful and quiet night's sleep. One feature of the room I really liked was the wooden sliding doors that open up to the balcony - which also completely shield any sunlight from coming in, which is great if you like your room to stay dark when, or if, you decide to sleep-in a bit. I also really appreciated the 3 complimentary bottles of water (topped up daily) and fresh fruit. The bathroom amenities were also the best I've ever had the pleasure of using - and I've stayed at other supposed 5 star hotels around the world! The shower was huge and amazing - the water was perfectly warm and the pressure from the showerhead divine. Very, very relaxing.

Breakfast the next two mornings was great. I was really looking forward to having donuts for breakfast as I had seen them in the photos on TripAdvisor of the breakfast buffet - and I was not disappointed! There was a great variety of food on offer including Western, Japanese and traditional Indonesian breakfast items. I really enjoyed the Bubur Ayam (chicken congee) - it was my favourite dish at the buffet and a wide variety of my favourite condiments were available to go with it. The omelette made on the spot for you was also delicious and perfectly cooked. Some of the fruit tasted a bit funky, but maybe it was just me, as the boyfriend found no problems with it. Tea and coffee were constantly being topped up and used plates cleared, in a friendly and non-intrusive way which I really liked.

We relaxed in the sun on the loungechairs by the pool - it was lovely, apart from children diving in and splashing us a few times.

There are plenty of eating and shopping opportunities near the Resort. We explored on foot for most of our trip, but ocassionally when we got tired and weary of the sun and heat, we hopped into a taxi, of which there are plenty just cruising down the streets.

We used the bag storage service as we had to check out and our flight was not until almost midnight and found our bags were kept safe and secure. We were offered a lift to the airport from the Resort at 1900hrs that night, but got stuck in a nearby restaurant with slow service and didn't make it back until 1940hrs! We felt bad that we could not inform the Resort as didn't have international roaming on our mobile phones, but were extremely grateful when one of the staff still offered to drive us to the airport in one of the Resort vehicles. We were the only guests to be transported and were very relieved - especially after we found out there were no taxis available at that time.

Thank you to the Padma Resort staff for exceeding our expectations. We really enjoyed our stay and look forward to telling our friends and family what a great experience we had.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Deluxe Chalet on the top floor which we found to be beautifully appointed and very co...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank josiec89

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,280)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My stay at the Padma did not start well: arriving alone late at night at Denpasar airport, I looked for the promised airport pickup in vain. After a hunt for the elusive Information booth, (it's outside away from the main airport entry), a phone call to the resort indicated that I was indeed forgotten and no, they would not be coming to collect me as arranged. Just as well I had visited Bali before and knew which taxi to take....but there was a long queue and cash upfront required. Arrived at Padma tired and grumpy at 1.30 am - Not the best first impression.
The rest of the stay was great - spacious room with massive bed all beautifully maintained. Breakfast is a masterpiece - I needed a longer stay to try out all the dishes on offer! Staff are very helpful. Grounds and pools beautiful. If travelling alone, have a backup plan, Indonesian cash and phone numbers ready.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms quieter but noise not a problem
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
PadmaResort_GM, General Manager at Padma Resort Legian, responded to this review, August 21, 2012

Greetings from Padma Resort Bali!

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. It’s very much appreciated as it helps me to monitor the service we provide.

I’ve spoken personally to our Front Office Manager to improve our airport transfer service and to prevent the same mistake from happening again. On the other hand, I’m glad that you had an enjoyable holiday at the Padma.

I hope that we’ll have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort on your future visit to Bali.

Warmest Regards,

Auckland
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My hubby and I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels but this one was the best! I could not fault anything - and I'm pretty fussy! Padma was brilliant. The room was clean and beautiful, the staff were exceptional, and the pools were amazing.

I chose Padma from the good comments it received on Trip Advisor and I was not disappointed. We arrived in the middle of the night, and were quickly escorted to our room which was well appointed, very clean and had a lovely tropical bush outlook. The air conditioning was already on, so it made the room pleasant from the start. The toiletries provided were excellent and were of a really nice quality. We had cable TV which was awesome to be able to watch the Olympics while we were away. We met our room service man one day and he asked if we liked the way he made up the room and if there was anything else he could do for us. Great staff like this just make your holiday that little bit better.

Being fitness types, we made good use of the resort gym, which was awesome. Well appointed with new equipment, new treadmills and 4 TV screens showing different channels of the Olympic coverage while we worked out - Yay!

The breakfasts at Padma are something else, and eating here will fill up you for the whole day! In fact, while we wanted to try the local cuisine, I can honestly say that from breakfast till early evening we didn't even feel like we needed dinner. We did however dine at the resort's restaurants - one was an Italian buffet at the Bella Rosa - again a scrummy dinner and at the price you would pay at a good restaurant in NZ. Another night we went to the Tepenyaki night at the Japanese restaurant - and had another delicious meal with the Tepenyaki entertainment factor as well - they cook lots of morsels of different cuisine right in front of you. The 'italian buffet' cost 255,000 rupiah pp - this equates to about NZ$40 pp so this was excellent value. The Tepenyaki was 395,000 rupiah pp - this was about NZ$60 pp, so again not bad value with the fact that you have your own personal chef for your table of 6.

Overall we found the juices and cocktails quite good value - around 30,000 - 42,000 rupiah (about $5-7 NZ). The wine was expensive, but again no more than what you pay in a normal NZ restaurant - one we chose at Tepenyaki was 868,000 rupiah (about $125 NZ). No NZ wines unfortunately, but still some good Aussie wines to choose from.

We didn't want to risk getting any 'Bali belly' aches so are pleased to say that we felt quite confident to eat at all the eateries at Padma - and we didn't get sick! Also I checked with the staff that the 'ice' that they use for the drinks was 'clean filtered' ice and it was, so no worries about getting ill from that either! It is recommended though to only drink the bottled water wherever you are in Bali - Padma included. They provide you with 3 free bottles of water in your room everyday. We also boiled the jug and used this water to clean our teeth with. There is a 'Circle K' dairy about 100 m down the road from Padma to get more bottled water and other dairy type items - at much cheaper than hotel prices too! Bottled water - about 1700 rupiah. If your worried about getting sick, I personally wouldn't eat at any of the 'outside' restaurants, and I do know people whom have got sick in Bali, even at the likes McDonalds and KFC, so I wouldn't risk it myself.

The main pool is huge and has a really cool pool bar with good music and a TV screen. There is even a super kids pool, complete with aqua toys and pool soccer goals. For a quieter pool spot, the long curving Lagoon pool is sublime. It curves along the front of the lagoon access rooms with islands and bridges and waterfalls to make this a pool from heaven. Loungers line the pool areas on different levels and are a lot more private than the main pool area. When one gets a little hot from sunbathing there are plenty of discreet and polite pool staff waiting for your flag to go up to provide you with the mocktail and cocktail menu and the food menu from about 8 in the morning till late at night.

The whole place is worth exploring with plentiful paths and gardens with traditional sculptures and mini temples to wander around, and all the staff are unobtrusive and very polite and friendly - even the cleaners, gardeners and construction workers who were working on making some new paths and seating areas.

From viewing comments made on Trip Advisor, we decided to join up to the Garden Club while booking in with our Travel agent, and really enjoyed the extra benefits of this. Yummy homemade ice cream in the afternoons, juices and nibbles at any time, evening cocktails and canapes 5 till 7 pm before dinner, fresh fruit in our room every day, daily paper. We loved being able to have access to the internet in the Garden Club lounge (4 computers) to keep up to date with the Kiwi athlete's progress at the Olympics. Well worth it.

Outside the hotel is bit of an eye opener, and Bali is definately more 3rd world than a modern and progressive country, but it's all part of the experience and it certainly makes me more grateful for what I have at home! These people live on not much more than $100 a week. We asked several Balinese what their salary was - like the 'taksi' drivers and the people who worked at the resort and other places, and this is what they live on with a family of 2 children. Now food is cheap in Bali, but not that cheap! Most of them said there wages went mostly on food, and they had to save really hard to buy clothes. They don't shop and spend money on clothes, latest gadgets, entertainment, homewares and furniture like we do. This is existence hand to mouth living. Now you can buy a t-shirt, a dress and even shoes at any street shop for about $2-5, but that is really extravagent spending to them. But they don't want your pity - they were not bitter about it when I was talking to them. However I did take the fruit from my room, and even some sweets and other stuff that I take for granted and gave a few bags out to some women out on the streets - often with a babe on their hip and another in tow, trying to sell woven cloth braclets for about 10 c each!

Be aware of the footpaths which are more like a rocky himalayan mountain track. They were the weirdest and most dangerous footpaths I have seen, and take careful negotiating so as not to trip up or fall over. Do NOT wear heels! If you come from NZ the traffic is mind blowing - and I live in Auckland! Millions of motorbikes, taxi's and people movers going in all directions on both sides of the road, zipping in and out here and there. Very scary! Although I have to say there were quite a few Aussies who obviously go to Bali quite a bit, and whom are used to way of things there that joined in, in this mad 'no road rules' race. Seriously there are no road markings anywhere! It's basically a free for all on the roads - a who dares wins type situation.

Only go by the metered blue taksi's - others will rip you off even if you are a good negotiator. Be careful of the money exchangers - ask them before you do the transactions if there are any other 'fees' or 'taxes', as we had one who did the whole transaction with me and then insisted that I pay him another 5% for a 'government tax'! NB. there is none! I checked! Count your money again before you leave. I believe most of the Balinese to be honest, but there are always opportunists ready to take advantage. We were also warned about pick pocketers - we had no problem, but you do need to be vigilant.

There is some great street shopping, but they are all fakes, so don't believe the shoes that say they are Nike are really Nike's when they are for sale for about $8! Bartering is the name of the game when street shopping. I went to 3 shops that had the same pair of shoes that I liked and the prices ranged from 360,000 rupiah to 220,000 to 100,000 rupiah. I negotiated with the last lady to get them down to 80,000 rupiah, and I still found out from someone back at the resort that they got the same shoes for 40,000 rupiah! Bartering is fun for a while, but the novelty wears off pretty quick if your not used to it, so in this case go the shopping malls where the items are tagged with a price and there is no negotiating to be done. You will still get a bargain, although it may not be that much cheaper than NZ anyway. The shopping is beachy type casual wear. You won't really find much in the way of 'business clothes' or really nice homewares or furniture that are comparable to NZ's quality and choice.

We did do a day tour to the Elephants in Ubud which was nice, and enjoyed taking in the scenery from our tour van on the way - a good way to see the country. We also heard about this 'legendary' bar called the Rock Wall. We had to go and check it out, so on the advice we were given we duly turned up to start queuing to get in from 3 pm! The bar is located in Jimbaran - about an hour's drive in heavy traffic from Padma (Legain), at the Ayana Resort. Ayana resort was too expensive for us to stay at, and I can see why! Truly amazing location and place. The Rock Wall bar is as to be expected, and extrudes from the cliff wall looking out to the west, so enjoys perfect sunsets. Truly one of the 'Bar's of the World' to visit. If you spend enough (like we did!) you get promoted to VIP treatment and seating! Photos at sunset here are a must. It wins the award for most romantic holiday photo destination!

Anyway, all in all, we had a fabulous time on our first trip to Bali. We went mainly for the warm fine weather and it didn't disappoint. Blue skies every day, 30 degress every day. A tiny light 5 minute shower in the morning about 7 am on 3 days, but the weather was so consistent and such a nice break from our NZ winter. Despite the few extra hours travel in the plane, we would definately rather go back to Bali than risk the more fickle and cooler weather in Aussie and the Pacific islands.

I hope you found this information useful, and would be happy for anyone to message me if you want more info. I tried to upload some photos but it didn't want to work, but I will try again in the next few days.

Room Tip: We were in Room 506 - a Garden Deluxe room and were very happy with our choice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank JulieAuckland

Greetings from Padma Resort Bali!

Thank you for taking the time to post a thorough review of our resort and its surrounding on TripAdvisor.

It’s a great pleasure to read your wonderful comments regarding your stay and that you had a great time with us. I’m glad that your recent holiday experience at the Padma has surpassed your expectations.

On behalf of all the staff here, I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.

Kindly Regards,

Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

A perfect place to be. We have been in paradise, really nice resort, nice and friendly stuff, a amazing breakfast in the main restaurant and the lagune is also sensational. The resort is perfect located to make trips and very secure. If you have time, make a tour with the red small VW car. Very funny.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Sandrine_greentree
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Loved every second staying at the Padma.
It is in the most perfect location close to all the shopping, great restuarants and right on the beach.
I stayed in the lagoon access room for 7 nights and the garden suite for 3. Both have there pro's. Obviously having access to the pool was great, the garden room was closer to breakfast and the club lounge.
Anyone staying at the padma make sure you pay extra for the club lounge. It doesnt get much better than having happy hour for free every night for 2 hours!
I would recommend the Padma to anyone looking for a 5 star resort in Legian.

Room Tip: Lagoon access room or Garden Suite. Both excellent.
3 Thank SMichelle_12
Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at the Padma with our 9 month old. We were very cautious due to fears of him getting sick etc. After the first day our minds were put at ease. The food was fantastic especially the breakfast buffet. We have travlled the world several times but it was the best iv ever seen. room service was fantastic. All of the workers were polite and helpful. The only problem we had was when we arrived the portacot they had in our room looked like it had been pulled out of one of the creeks that flow through town and had to ask twice for it to be changed. When it was changed for a much cleaner one. Also used the baby sitting for 2 hours and have no complaints. Had the Japanese buffet. It was good although i thought overpriced for Bali. Would still definately go back when we can afford the 5 star trip again

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the lagoon access room and it was beautiful! Norman looked after us and was very attentive. The staff here are lovely, especially Ngurah who looked after us in the main pool. He was very friendly. The lagoon pool was very cold so didn't swim in it too much and the lack of ventilation in the bathrooms makes the room smell a bit wet. The room was located at the end of the lagoon (as per our request) and was very peaceful except for our neighbors who were constantly yelling and swearing until all hours of the morning. We asked if we could be moved however were advised there were no other rooms avaliable. The club benefits are definitely worth it!!!! Free cocktails from 5-7 is a big plus. Overall the hotel is stunning, so so big however the trees and greenery around us make it feel intimate and cozy. Expensive by Bali standards but definitely worth it!!

Room Tip: Room 147 is right at the end of the lagoon. A little far away from everything but great if you are l...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brooke Z

Greetings from Padma Resort Bali!

Thank you for your review of our resort. I’m delighted to read that you had an amazing honeymoon with us and particularly found Nyoman and Ngurah memorable.

I’ve noted and discussed your feedback regarding the lack of ventilation in the bathroom with our Chief Engineer to be followed up immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Padma in the near future.

Kindly Regards,

T. Soerjanto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Legian Beach Hotel
W Bali - Seminyak
#19 of 145 in Seminyak
The Bandha Hotel & Suites
The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection

Been to Padma Resort Legian? Share your experiences!