“Overall a good - average experience.”
Review of Legian Beach Hotel

Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Legian
Perth, Australia
“Overall a good - average experience.”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed at the The Legian Beach hotel with a quite a large group of family and friends that were all in Bali for a Wedding. We made a group booking, however the rooms allocated were on all opposite sides of the resort. Most rooms were great, however one room at the back of the property on the 3rd floor (a triple share) was terrible with no balcony and a door that opened to a 3 floor drop (not good for families with children!). The x 2 pools were always clean and the resort very tidy and generally very well presented. Lovely lush garden setting. Internet access prices were very expensive at the hotel. Food was somewhat over priced but of a good standard. Our booking including buffet breakfast each day which consisted of a massive selection of great all you can eat breakfast including American breakfast options, English breaskfast options, Indonesian options, pancakes, omlettes, juices, fruit, breads, hams, cereals ect. Our booking also included free transfers from the airport, however a couple of guests had had trouble getting or finding the transfers at the airport on arrival, and we had to argue with the reception staff to allow us our transfers back to airport. Just to note - x 2 a week the hotel sprays the ground with plumes of toxic smelling smoke to kill pests, and the does it at odd times when guests are out and about within the grounds. Yuk! Good location on Legian Beach and easy walking to many resturants, markets, beach and entertainment. Family friendly. Overall a good - average experience, but nothing special.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
, Manager at Legian Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Dear Party NomadicRoad,

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your valuable time in giving us your feedback.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and your compliments are our motivation to do even better.

We have well noted your safety concerns and feedback regarding the pest control activity, please rest assured that rectification will be done as the matter of urgency.

I am the new General Manager of the hotel and please write to me directly at anytime at generalmanager@legianbeachbali.com for your next visit to Bali or any other enquiry.

Legian Beach Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Cronulla
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I stayed here with my husband and 17 year old in the Oz school holidays. The beach bungalows are ideal and very peaceful, even though they are located very close to the pool. Other guests we spoke with were happy with the garden bungalows. As you may read on other posts the Superior Rooms have issues, but the family deluxe are better. I think this is where a lot of the negative reports have come from. They are both located at the rear of the property, so a few mins walk to the beach. The superior rooms are being refurbished in November this year. Our loo got blocked one morning, maintenance arrived within 5 minutes (lucky them...oooh). Had a problem with the hot water, also had a response within 5 minutes. It was just a temporary thing, rectified itself and never happened again. I found the rooms were cleaned thoroughly, and often in the morning.

The position is ideal. Far enough away from Kuta (walked along the beach one day, and into the shops - very glad to come back to Legian). All the little markets and laneway shops are a few minutes walk, and some of them offered great shoes, bags, cheap clothes etc. Walk along Jalan Legian towards Seminyak of your want more upmarket clothes. The only thing that bothered me, which is entirely beyond the hotels domain, - is the hawkers on the beach. They do have some great cheap stuff, but they are a little overwhelming. (Dont get a temporary tatoo, you may react very badly). Get a lounge and umbrella for IDR 25,000 ($3) and the vendor will bring ice cold Bintangs (about $2.50 I think) or soft drinks ALL day

Although the hotel was running at 97%-100% occupancy, I was happy that there was always lounges around the pools, and plenty of pool towels. Also, it was also very peaceful. The only time we could feel that the hotel was busy, was at breakfast time. Sometimes everyone would be there all at once, same time next day - uncrowded.
Had a buffet dinner, and cultural dance on the terrace, overlooking the beach. Pleasant enough, great setting and only USD23 (+tax) which I thought was good for a hotel. 10 minutes walk along the beach path to a multitude of great restaurants. Felt very safe walking around here at night. The Mandira, Padma and Legian Beach Hotel looked so lovely at night with their beachfront bars and restaurants.

All in all, I did like the Legian Beach hotel. It is an older hotel, the rooves are thatched, the grounds are lovely and in my opinion it has a more relaxed Bali feel.

There has been a lot of negative reports for this hotel, which worried me. But I am pleased to see we enjoyed our stay. Chill, go with the flow, and enjoy!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank KimboCronulla
, General Manager at Legian Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Dear Kimbo Cronulla,

Thank you for your kind review and we highly appreciate your valuable time in giving us your detail feedback.

We are very pleased that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Legian Beach Hote, your compliments are "the gasoline of our engine" which will motivate us all to continue do better.

Once again, thank you from us all at The Legian Beach Hotel.

Auckland
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Hi,

We stayed for 5 nights. On arrival to our Garden Bungalow found that we where in a very tiny dark pokey room with no garden view - in fact we looked out over a car turning point and a mouldy old concrete wall. Everyone walked past our room (23C) to get to the pool or reception. The room was full of mosquioes - my teenage daughter took it upon herself to see how many she could kill - we got up to 23 and then went to reception to complain. We couldn't change rooms for 2 days but they informed us they would spray the room if we went out and our problems would be over. When we returned to the room after dinner there was loads of them dead on the floor, however, the room was once again full of them.

The breakfast was very average and things didn't look that clean - the resort on the whole except for the pool looked tired. I went to the gym and could not believe how rundown and grotty it was - turned around and left. I also went to the spa which was not a high point of the stay

We did change to a better room 2 days later and to be honest if we hadn't moved next door to the Bali Mandira I might not have written this review. The Mandira was fantastic (it has a lower star rating) and I would have thought it was at least another star better than the Legian. The breakfast was fabulous, the staff very friendly and the entire resort was very clean and modern in feel. We had an amazing room in a great location. The internet was a quarter of the fee compared to the Legian. They had very good security on the front and side of the resort - the Legian only had it on the side. The upkeep at the Mandiras is very good - everything is constantly being cleaned and the grounds are wonderful.
Loved Bali and so pleased we moved next door

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dear Fowler4,

Dear Party NomadicRoad,

First of all let me thank you for allowing your valuable time in giving us your feedback on your recent stay with Legian Beach Hotel.

We have noted all your feedbacks and as our never-ending commitment to give the best possible to all our customers, improvement will surely be done wherever possible.

It is clear that we have not impressed you 100% this time and as the new General Manager of the hotel, I will be more than happy to hear from you at anytime at generalmanager@legianbeachbali.com to arrange your next visit to Bali or any other enquiry.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to the pleasure of giving you a better stay.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 20, 2010

After a couple of nights in Jakarta and a night in artsy Ubud, there was nothing higher on my agenda than a stay on the beach and wow, what a beach!

This hotel is located right on the beach in Legian halfway between pulsating and busy Kuta and sophisticated and chic Seminyak, so you can take your pick!

The hotel is set in large grounds right on the beach with two pools, several restaurants, a spa and a large range of accommodation. I had a lovely private villa tastefully decorated with bright and lively themes and my own private jacuzzi pool in the garden.

Within a few paces of the hotel are bars and restaurants in Legian itself but the taxis are so cheap you can get to the pulsating nightlife of Kuta easily enough. For a more sophisticated night out, head for Seminyak where the bars, restaurants and clubs are world class but without the price tabs.

The GM, Mr Arif and the head of sales and marketing, Ms Putu Yeni made a point of introducing themselves to me to add that personal touch which is always welcome. In fact all the staff were really great.

What a spot on place to stay if you want a superb value hotel in the best possible location for keeping all your options open! Just watch the surf (and surfers) right in front of your eyes as you have lunch - unbeatable...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank AsiaTravellerPaul
Dear Asia Traveller Bob,

Thank you for your great review and I appreciate your efforts in writing them so detail which I believe would be benefitial to those who have not been to Bali.

It was indeed a pleasure to have served you in Legian Beach Hotel and we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay and had the taste of Legian Beach hospitality.

Once again, thank you from us all and look forward to your return.

Melbourne
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We booked the Legian Beach Hotel on the advise of friends who had stayed there in 2009. They were going to Bali at the same time as us this year and thought it would be nice if we were staying at the same hotel. After booking and reading some reviews from Tripadvisor I must admit that I was a bit concerned. Our friends had told us that as we were booking a Superior Room that we must request a room with a balcony as there are rooms without which face scrub land or something, so we immediately made sure that we requested this... several times! We arrived at night and I was impressed by the tight security at the hotel and even more impressed by the beautiful lobby of the hotel. As requested, we were given a superior room with a balcony on the 3rd floor of the main building. Please note that the main building is at the back of the property, but it is only a short walk to pools and beach, not miles away like some people make out.
Room - The room itself was quite small and after staying in a city hotel in KL for 3 days was no where near as impressive, however, I will point out that the Legian Beach Hotel is not a city hotel and the room is still clean and as all the amenities you need (nice comfortable beds with mosquito nets, dresser, wardrobes, air con, medium size TV, fridge, kettle, safe etc). The bathroom was a little dark but functionable and the balcony was the best bit, with a massive comfy day bed and 2 chairs, great to relax in the day or have a few drinks with our friends in the evening. I would say that the rooms are not 5 star class and in need of a little refurbishing however our 6 night stay was really comfortable and I would say that people only complain if they are really fussy.
Breakfast - Breakfast was great! It is served in a nice outdoor covered area and is an international breakfast buffet with an egg and pancake station and everything else you could want, even at busy times staff would find us a table quickly.
Pools and Ocean Terrace - There are two pools at LBH. One is big and quite deep right near the towel station (you can get freshly washed huge beach towels everyday) and the other pool is smaller with a swim up pool bar. Both pools are landscaped beautifully and we never had a problem getting sunbeds. Pool bar prices were reasonable for hotel prices and we actually got a pleasant suprise at the bills on check out rather than the expected shock horror. There is also an Ocean Terrace which has comfy sunbeds overlooking the surf beach which is amazing. You are meant to use these for ordering drinks and food, but they don't hassle you as soon as you lie down, so you don't actually have to be ordering constantly.
Room Servicing - Fantastic, they don't come in until you want them to and always cleaned well. The room was spotless everyday.
Front desk - the front desk staff and concierge are very helpful and really helped us out when our transfer to our next hotel didn't turn up.
Fumigating - In a previous post someone writes about Dengue Fever claiming to get it from the hotel from lack of spraying. Well I get bitten all the time in Melbourne summer and I did not get bitten once here, in fact I never saw a mosquito, the hotel fumigates twice a week and supplies you with plug in repellent for the room. My advice would be to still use personal repellent too as an extra precaution.
Location - The location of this hotel is fantastic, it is quiet whilst at the same time being right on the beach and the border of Legian and Kuta, everything in Kuta and Legian is in walking distance or a cheap taxi ride away.
The only points about the hotel that I could really criticise is the price of internet (inc wireless), and the use of tennis and squash courts. The hotel wanted 100,000 Rupiah an hour for access to wirelss internet (about 15 USD) which for the standard of hotel I would expect to be free. They also were charging $40 USD for use of tennis courts which I thought was too expensive as well. This is all I was really unhappy about though. Things I can't comment on are the Spa, Surf School and Food at Restaurants in the evenings as we went out of the hotel for these services.
Finally I come to the pricing of the hotel, I agree with some people that it is perhaps a little overpriced, on saying that we did stay at peak season and I believe that you are paying for the prime location of the hotel not necessarily 5 star luxury. I do believe there are similar hotels in the area that are cheaper but they do not have the prime beach location so at the end of the day it's up to you if you are prepared to pay for that or not.
Overall we had a great stay at the Legian Beach Hotel, don't expect a 5 star hotel, I would say it is a good 4 star, but the staff did make every effort for our stay to be pleasant and enjoyable and I'm sure we will be back one day.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank aloa21
Dear Aloa21,

Thank you for your long and kind review on Legian Beach Hotel, the time spent is highly appreciated.

We are pleased that overall you have had a great stay and your compliments are our motivation to do even better.

We have well noted your concerns on few things which you have kindly mentioned, me and my team are reviewing them and doing some research and comparison so that we can make a better decision.

denmark
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I was a little concerned about booking this hotel after reading some of the reviews, we booked a superior family room but were upgraded to a deluxe. After two nights we asked to be moved back to the superior family room as we didnt like deluxe room this had more to do with teenagers not being in a separate room than anything else, the move was done with no fuss at all, the staff were great.
Location was great, pool was terrific, dont use the laundry service (to expensive), breakfast was outstanding, lots of restaurents close by, the massage service was exspensive and not that good better to get one outside, if you need to get to Kuta get a ride on a scooter as the traffic is terrible and the taxis takes for ever.
This hotel had a great feel to it and was very family friendly.

the

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear Bristles Denmark,

Thank you for your kind review and we appreciate your valuable time in giving us your feedback.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at the Legian Beach Hotel and your valuable input on our Spa is most welcomed.

I am the new General Manager of the hotel and please feel free to write to me directly at anytime at generalmanager@legianbeachbali.com for your next visit to Bali or any other enquiry.

Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My stay at the Legian Beach Hotel came as a pleasant surprise, after reading reviews prior to staying l did not have very high expectations of this resort. Upon checking in
we were upgraded to a larger room with views across to the gardens/sea, the cleanliness was good not fantastic but its very normal for Bali. Breakfast was of good range and the open air restaurant was lovely. The gardens around the Resort are very beautiful, pool areas were very nice but a bit small, never the less depending when you used them we never had any trouble getting a lounge chair. Position is excellent, beach is right near, Legian shops just outside the Legian beach grounds. I have stayed at many places in Bali over the years Padma does stand out but The Legian Beach Resort does provide good accommodation for a reasonable price, the bungalows would be the preferred accommodation when staying there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Libnet,

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your valuable time in giving us your stay experience.

We are pleased to know that you have had an enjoyable time with us and I believe your recommendation on type of accommodation to stay will be beneficial to all readers.

Legian Beach Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Padma Resort Legian
Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana
The Bandha Hotel & Suites
The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection

Been to Legian Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!