“Very clean hostel, value for money if you have 4 pax or if you use the pool”
Review of Kayun Hostel

Kayun Hostel
Ranked #29 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Legian
Singapore, Singapore
“Very clean hostel, value for money if you have 4 pax or if you use the pool”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We chose this hostel because we wanted to have all 4 of us in the same room. The 4-bed ensuite consist of 2 bunk beds, a sink in the room, and a private outdoor toilet. It was quite a different experience to have an outdoor toilet.

Room is pretty cramp for 4 people, we had problems while unpacking and packing. Shower was solar powered, but we had hot showers for both nights, so I guess we were lucky. Wifi was weak in the room and we had to all "congregate" at bed nearest to the door to get a 1-out-of-4 bars signal

There is a convenience stall just diagonally opposite the hostel, which is good if you need to get late night snacks. Didn't get to use the pool but it looks clean. Breakfast was simple but adequate - toasts with jam and butter, boiled eggs, cornflakes, coffee & tea, juices.

Room Tip: If you have 4 people, staying in the 4-bed ensuite is of the same price as staying in the dorms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Me and my friends stayed at Kayun Hostel for 4 nights and we stayed in the Deluxe 4 Bed Private room. It was a room with 2 bunk beds, quite cramped for 4 people (it's a little difficult to unpack and pack), but it was certainly clean. Its en suite bathroom is equipped with shampoo and shower gel and our towels get changed daily. They use solar energy to provide hot water, so there are days where no hot water available. The air conditioner, television and fridge worked just fine. There's free breakfast and it was okay; cereal, toast and boiled eggs. They provide computers with internet access in the lobby and free wifi, but the wifi didn't work very well in our room. There's also a swimming pool; small but good.
The hostel is located in the less busy area of Legian, so you can definitely rest. You can find ATMs (we paid cash for our room for a little less than $320), convenience stores, small shops and restaurants nearby. Will definitely consider staying at Kayun Hostel again :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BeatrixBudiman
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were originally only booked for 4 nights but ended up staying longer. Our room was big and spotlessly clean, beds were comfy and the room came with towels and fridge. Staff couldn't be more helpful, breakfast was great. Perfect location- shops, restaurants and beach are all just a short walk. I would definately stay again and wouldnt hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was at Kayun for only 2 nights. It was completely overpriced and not at all worth the money. I recommend AGAINST staying here.

PRICE
I paid 44 USD per night for a twin room. This is an outrageous price, as I later learned. For that same price, I could have stayed at a very nice hotel. I am very happy I only spent 2 nights there and not any longer!

ROOM
I stayed in Room 208. The “twin” room was despicable. The beds are just on wooden IKEA-like boxes and are stacked right next to each other. In other words, there is no space between one bed to the next. You’re really sleeping on the same bed, just different mattresses. The room was tiny and looked like a university dorm room that was hastily turned into a “twin” room.
The toilet and bathroom are in 2 separate areas; the doors are translucent and the top part is completely open. In other words, you can see AND smell through the bathroom and toilet. This is extremely unpleasant. The room is so tiny that from the bed, I can brush my teeth and use the sink. Who puts the sink right next to the bed?
That’s not all. The 2 windows of the room face the street. I could not sleep at night because the noise level was so high.
Overall, this room is horrendous. I travelled around Indonesia for a month and this is definitely the WORST and MOST EXPENSIVE room I’ve ever stayed in.

CLEANLINESS
The room and toilet were clean enough. However, the toilet was releasing an unpleasant odour and I could smell everything on my bed because the toilet door did not go up all the way to the ceiling.

SWIMMING POOL
The swimming pool is small but nice. It is the only redeeming quality of the hostel.

STAFF
I am not at all impressed by the staff. I’m sure they’re nice and friendly, but they were also unprofessional, incompetent, and lack knowledge of surrounding areas. Let me explain.
- UNPROFESSIONAL & INCOMPETENT
I reserved through hostel world where I paid a deposit. This means the rest of the money is due upon arrival. This is not complicated. It took the staff 15 minutes to do a simple check in. They had to scan my passport several times because the first few times didn’t work. They could not figure out the math of the remaining money I needed to pay them. I had to pull out my own calculator (on my smartphone) and do the math with them to figure out how much still needs to be paid. Then they couldn’t count the money properly and I had to recount it with them several times. And there were 2 people doing the check-in. This is completely unnecessary as one person should have been able to handle the job. The only good thing is that they printed a proper receipt. The entire time, they were just laughing and joking around. I am usually pretty happy but not when I am trying to focus to give them Rp 800,000 for their overpriced room. It is a lot of money and I wanted to make sure I was giving the right amount.
- LACK OF KNOWLEDGE
I asked the staff for a map of the city. They don’t have this. This is just a very basic requirement of all hostels and hotels, especially ones that are so overpriced. Then I said that I needed to go shopping for party dresses and asked for a recommendation. They suggested all these far-away markets that I have no intention of going to. Then I discovered that I was right on Legian St and I could have just walked to Legian and then walk North or South to find a good store. Again, I found this out on my own by doing research on the internet, not by talking to them. Their English is not very good and they’re not confident in their communication. I understand that English is not their first language (not mine either) but they work in a hostel where there are foreign tourists all the time. They should at least be able to understand a few basic questions, i.e. “Where can I go shopping for dresses?”

LOCATION
Just a few minutes walk from Jl Legian, which is the shopping street. From here, it takes about 10 minutes to walk to the beach. You can find better places on Poppies 1 & 2 or Sorga for a quarter of the price and much better service.

SUMMARY
I would never stay at Kayun Hostel again. It was the biggest waste of money during my 1-month trip in Indonesia. If you are looking for a place, I recommend going to Poppies Gang 1 and 2, and walk on Gang Sorga for better and cheaper options.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank surgasempurna
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I was at Kayun Hostel for three nights in April. This place definitely gets it's share of backpackers. I stayed in the ladies' dorms because the co-ed was filled (the ladies' was full the entire three nights I was there as well). Like most dorm style accommodations, you need your own towel for this place. There is free breakfast in the mornings if you're a sunrise surfer/adventurer/manage to wake up in time. The lobby is a great place to meet new people, the pool is clean and Kayun is conveniently located within walking distance to the beach and bars. I've read people complaining about the shower temperature, maybe I just got lucky, but I didn't have this problem. This place IS pricey for a hostel, but I quite enjoyed myself while I was there, so I'd say it was well worth it.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a friend, it's cheaper to split a room than get multiple dorm beds.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in June because of good TA reviews. Not a terrible place but definitely overpriced. In the end, you're paying $50 to stay in a hostel in a room that smells bad due to the foul smell emanating from the toilet. The rooms are quite small and although the air con worked well, the "hot shower" was anything but. The location is also not the greatest and good luck finding a taxi driver who knows where it is. Make sure to bring a Kayun business card and a cell phone if possible for this reason. Cleaning staff came in our room when we specifically asked that they not and even put the sign on our door. The included breakfast is ok but for the money, it really should be. It's toast, fruit, cereal, and hard boiled eggs. The wifi is pretty good and the computers you can use for free in the lobby are a plus. Pool is also nice. Room was somewhat loud. If we came back, I'd stay in the dorms only because the rooms are a poor deal for the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in the 4 person family room. The place looks great with a nice pool. There is housekeeping and towels get changed every day. The family room has an open air shower, which looks great but is a bit dim at night and it seems that after midnight, there is always no hot water. They rely on solar energy to heat the water up, so sometimes there is no hot water at all. They told us there is wifi in the room, but it's only available in the lobby. Location wise, it's great, tons of places to eat and shop all around.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
KAYUN Hostel Downtown
#73 of 421 in Seminyak
BedPlus Backpacker
BedPlus Backpacker
#16 of 208 in Kuta

Been to Kayun Hostel? Share your experiences!