“A blast from the past...and not in a good way”
Review of Hotel Lumbung Sari

Hotel Lumbung Sari
Ranked #41 of 63 Legian B&B and Inns
Maleny
“A blast from the past...and not in a good way”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

My daughter and I stayed for two nights at Hotel Lumbung Sari in March 2014. I booked the hotel online and was impressed by their efficient response. I later realised that their bookings are handled by an agency and the process had no real bearing on the actual hotel and staff. I lived in Indonesia in the mid 1990's and this was my first visit to Bali since then, so I was attracted to Lumbung Sari's traditional appeal.
We were picked up from the airport very efficiently, and it was a good thing because the hotel is nestled amidst a tangle of tiny gangs behind Three Brothers (where I originally wanted to stay and wish I had) and it could have been hard to find. Actually, I liked the location and every time we left the hotel it was a little mini adventure.
It was late when we arrived and my first impression, with a sinking heart, was of dust and neglect. We were shown to our room which was joined to another room and had a noisy group of Russian tourists sprawling on our balcony area, drinking, playing doof music and talking loudly. They didn't move when we came, the hotel management didn't ask them to move, and we were too nervous to ask them. The noise went on till the morning hours and we finally got to sleep with ear plugs. The bed was surprisingly comfortable, but there were mosquitos, the bathroom was a dive, old towels etc. It really was a bleast from the past....and not a specially good one. It was a pretty cheap hotel, but it was definitely on the low end of value.
In the morning, we got a good look at the place and all was quiet. The grounds are quite uniquely laid out, tropical and very Bali in the old days. My daughter thought it was awesome, I thought it needed some tender loving care and a team of cleaners and painters to come through to sanitise, de-mould and exterminate pests. The place was swarming with mosquites inside and out, as well as crawling with rats. I saw and heard rats running around the nailed shut windows of our rooms, and also saw the staff members chasing rats around the garden with brooms. It was amusing, but I wasn't impressed.
Breakfast was also a blast from the past with traditional sweetish white bread, red jam, Blue Band margarine, fruit salad and Bali coffee. It took me back to my first visit to bali in 1989. It wasn't bad in a nostalgic way, but considering the changing standards and competitive nature of the tourist industry there, it was pretty poor and a little surprising. I had to laugh at my daughter's face when she tried the toast and jam! I talked to a couple of other guests at breakfast, both loved the place and always return there. I couldn't for the life of me understand why, except perhaps they hadn't stayed anywhere else.
We went off for the day and on return, the noisy tourists were up, extremely drunk, and had taken over the pool where they were drinking Jack Daniels from a bottle and glasses resting on a child's floaty toy on the water, with music booming from their laptop. I ended up requesting a room change. The staff were apologetic and clearly upset by the rude guests, but not able to ask them to stop. Later I heard one of them tell the guys that they couldn't have any more ice because they had finished it all.
Our new room was quaintly Balinese with pretty carved shutters, but it ended there. It was absolutley swarming with mosquitoes, had no mozzy nets and there were rats. I understand these are all problems in Bali, but it just wasn't nice. The staff came and fumigated our room with insect poison. I was a tad anxious about sleeping there.
I was glad to leave the next day, after a delicious breakfast at Three Brothers, which incidently had the same room rate as Lumbung Sari.
I wouldn't stay here again. I don't understand why anyone would, given the huge choice of accommodation available in the Legian/Kuta/Seminyak area. I took some pretty photos and I really did like the location but nextime, I will stay in another hotel.

Room Tip: Go to the entrance, turn left and walk about 30m, turn right and check into Three Brothers Inn. I wi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank AlFergie

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2014

When I am in Bali I spend most of my time in Nusa Lembongan where I am building a villa. But any time spent in the legian area is spent at Lumbung Sari. The staff are great and the prices of the rooms are great value. Rooms are cleaned very day and sheets and towels changed. Over the last two years they have renovated most of the rooms. Most of the guests are return visitors and friendly to everyone many chats at the breakfast tables.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon A
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The Lumbung Sari hotel is very well located on a side street in Legian, Kuta between the craziness of Downtown Kuta and the upscale vibe of Semyniak. There's a really nice pool, a simple but very good breakfast is included in the price of the room and the staff is very friendly and always available to help you with trip planning or information concerning Kuta. Rooms have mini-fridge and the hotel provides new towels everyday. You can also rent motorbikes for a very cheap price directly at the hotel. The room are simple, but the beds are comfortable and the cleaning staff comes everyday to clean the room. There's a really mellow and zen vibe to this hotel, and it's just perfect to relax a bit after a busy day in Kuta. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it's an awesome deal for the price you'll pay !!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We booked into Hotel Lumbung Sari for a week in early March. We love the older style Balinese accommodation and online this hotel looked perfect for us. In a good location and at a great price. The staff at Lumbung Sari were lovely and showed us 4 rooms before we decided that the rooms were a bit too dark and musty. There was no fly wire on the windows and the air con in our room didn't work very well. We decided to try and move elsewhere even though we had prepaid for our stay. The staff were very understanding and refunded our money minus one night within a couple of days.
The gardens were very nice and if you are looking for cheap accommodaton with character in a good location this place is worth a try.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

A chance meeting gave us a tip on this inexpensive hotel. We were staying at a hotel with no character but this small, quiet hotel charmed us as soon as we waked in. The room on the first floor was clean, not modern, but functional. The pool was small but clean and plenty of room to sit around and mingle. Wifi is available. Very close to restaurants and within walking distance to the beach. Only problem we had was when there was a very heavy rainstorm the gang got flooded and we had to walk in knee deep water for about 100 metres to get to the hotel. We will go back to the Lumbung Sari every time we return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Lydia S
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were introduced to this place through a friend! We were staying at a large (300+room) resort on the beach and felt overwhelmed! Our friend who lives in Bali, stayed at Lumbung Sari for the first twelve months when she moved the from Australia!
That was a good enough recommendation, so we switched hotels with out even seeing this place at all!
As soon as we walked in past reception we felt at home! The staff were amazing, food was great, rooms were clean and had everything we needed , it's like our own little secret in Bali! Not for the hob knobs but real people will love this place, no doubt! We will be back there next time we go to Bali!
Also, the little eatery just round the corner is Warung Kartini, Nyoman and his family do the best Indonesian food we ate on our Bali Adventure! We ate there every chance we got, just lovely!

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank ChrisAdey
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Hotel Lumbung Sari is in Gang Three Brothers on a small road or more like a lane-way & Gang Three Brothers ( Three Brothers Street ) starts on Padma Utara next to All Seasons Legian Bali & finishes at Jl Legian (main road from Kuta to Seminjak). I think Lumbung means traditional rice barn & there are 2 or 3 of these family units in shape of rice barn on top of the 1st floor that can accommodate a family of about 6 at very affordable pricing for the family & I think it has a kitchen) & is like a home away from home ( I think they may be upgrading these later in the year because they think they may be getting a little tired but really they are quite okay for the price with plenty of room ). The rooms on ground & first floor are also very good value for money with air conditioning & Indonesian TV (they will rent a DVD Player at a very reasonable price. The pool is not huge but it is perfectly adequate. It is amazing the sense of peace here & how they fit so many pot-plants ( think they are Bonsai ) along balcony of first floor & nice trees in not such a large space is truly wonderful & where do the birds come from. I got quite a surprise to see nests for the birds under the carport next to reception. Also along the wall leading into the Lumung Sari is an amazing & very long mural depicting Bali & the Gods with the eternal struggle between good & evil. At some Hotels you get waited on hand & foot but here the small staff just stay in the background & just let you enjoy your stay. Free breakfast is just large pieces of toast & jam, fruit platter, tea or coffee & fruit juice which is quite enough but if you want pancake or eggs e.g omelette they will do that for a very small charge. I was happy to keep my valuables in a locker with a locked door & behind reception. It is so good when you walk out of Lumbung Sari that no on one is hassling you to buy this or take their motorbike or taxi each time you leave the Hotel. It is a different world here & you will be surprised when you explore these lane-ways what you will find. 5 minutes walk towards Jl. Legian but turn left out of Hotel & then right & go straight toward Jl. Legian on a corner there is a very cheap restaurant that is quite okay continue to the right & you can get your laundry done or if you go to the left you will discover another lane-way ( gang ). Coming up from Gang Four Brothers from All Seasons Hotel you will go past quite a classy place for Balinese massage & reflexology & take the first right you will see the Sri Ratu Hotel & then turn right & driveway goes into Hotel Lumbung Sari. Lumbung Sari is quirky in a nice way, is hard to describe but is part of an old Bali that is now sadly starting to disappear as new Hotels are built ( sadly some of these are poorly designed with no balcony's or I think opening windows-just there for the turnover & money ) so I hope you too for at least a part of your stay might try the Lumbung Sari Hotel for a complete rest but also not too far from the beach. From Gang Four Brothers turn left into Padma Utara ( where All Season Hotel is ) then a 5 minute walk, then turn right into Padma Utara & then left on to the walkway in front of the Bali Mandiri Hotel you should find the surf lifesaving patrol area with flagged area for swimming. Enjoy your stay in Bali with a difference ! P.S Yes you can get a car down the lane way from Jl. Legian to Lumbung Sari Hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank gerald553
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Balisani Padma
#24 of 87 in Legian
Je Je Resort
Je Je Resort
#31 of 61 in Kuta

Been to Hotel Lumbung Sari? Share your experiences!