“Apartment is good to stay”
Review of Grand Kuta

Grand Kuta
Ranked #12 of 86 Specialty Lodging in Legian
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

5 of us share apartment . We find out there is mosquito inside the room . Free wifi is available inside room but sometime network problem . Breakfast is very simple but ok for me . You also able to get outside food by just 5 to 10 min walk from hotel . Staff are very friendly . Location is not a issued for us because we book transport .

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stay here for a night. I got upgraded to suite room because their deluxe room is full. Honestly i do not like the suite room, it's more like 2 bedroom apartment. The bed is hard. The bathroom design is not modern at all. I am a bit disappointed with the price i pay although i get upgraded. I think it's too much. Yet, the look from outside is very good.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank agung1608
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and myself and our adult daughter stayed at the Grand Kuta for 8 days in August 2012 and we had the best time.The staff were friendly,from the guy cleaning the grounds and pool to cleaners,kitchen staff,waiters/ess,and reception staff.They all said hello with a lovely smile.Rooms were cleaned when we put the sign out to clean room.For us breakfast was ok,some foods we didn't eat only because vegetables,rice,noodles,fish,chicken is not on our menu for breakfast,we did eat other more enjoyable foods.We had rooms next to each other(we did not ask for them)which made it easier to come and go.The hotel has 3 pools and they get tested for chlorine levels which I did get to see personally.Pool levels are 1.2 meters deep all measure same in length and width.I did get to see Pilots and Air Hostesses check in,so this indicates to me it is a terrific Hotel.I would stay there again on our next visit back to Bali.Two things to note,beach is a good 20 minutes walk,or longer if you check out the shops along the way,and to go into Kuta or Legian a Taxi is needed cost around 50000 Rupia or about $5 AUD.There are plenty of eateries around with various prices,to numerious to mention here.Every one has there own experience of Hotels be it good or bad,this was our good experience,enjoy.

Room Tip: There are 4 floors of the Hotel,we stayed on the ground floor,no view except for pool but makes for...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank dartabout
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed a week with another family and the hotel was quite accommodating and placed our rooms next to each other as requested. We had arranged an extra bed which was wasn't done however the hotel organised it very quickly - all with extra charge of course. Our late checkout was pre-arranged however our keys were deactivated at 12noon and we had to go down to reception and arrange new keys - no problem but extra charge. There seemed to be extra charges left and right however the hotel was clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was a bit out of the way - the walk to Legian was quite far for the kids but if you are looking for a hotel away from the hustle and bustle of Legian and Kuta maybe this is the one for you. Breakfast was not huge but yummy nonethless. The locals know the hotel as the Aston Grand Kuta. The hotel is not near the beach or any shopping so be prepared for a walk or taxi ride. The 3 pools were small and cold. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mulletinperth
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed 7 nights at the Grand Kuta in Legian. The staff were friendly enough esp at reception and the restaurant. However, service was not consistent. Room service was a rather hit and miss event. This could have been due to miscommunication. They would arrive to service the room with us still inside and we'd ask for 5 mins which they'd agree to and then we'd find that the room didn't get serviced that day. When it was, someteimes there would be items missing that we'd have to request for e.g. towels, water, toiletries, etc. Once they arrived just after we'd had breakfast and were getting ready to go out. We asked for 5-10 mins and we got the eye roll! I think our room didn't get serviced that day - as punishment for not being ready?? But why didn't they service the room while we were at breakfast which we did every morning and extendedly? Other rooms always seemed to have dirty dishes put outside and these didn't seem to get picked up in a hurry. Anyway, that was just an irritation more than anything else. The staff were otherwise helpful, friendly and attentive.

The room was functional. It had two bedrooms and a bathroom. The balcony was not functional as we weren't allowed to hang our bathers to dry out there as it would spoil the aesthetics of the hotel. The bathroom got really wet after anyone had a shower and there wasn't adequate room to hang clothes, towels, etc.

The kitchen was a sham. It had a sink but nothing to go with it i.e. sponge or detergent. I think it was there more for the staff to use when they service the room. I'm just guessing. There was nothing in the cupboards though these were ample so am not sure why they were there - for marketing purposes? We requested for a microwave which they provided and that was great. We basically used the kitchen bench space for our food luggage (my son has an allergy so we had to bring his food supply).

There were three lovely pools which we enjoyed. I can't remember but the water was just right, I think. Not too warm, not too cold. The bar where the pool towels were handed out was not well attended.

There was a rain problem in the passageways to the rooms and other parts of the hotel. There were adequate warning signs, I think, but because the floors were tiled, it could pose a problem with kids running back to the room ahead of you.

The kids' club was a pen with coloured balls which caused more stress than it was worth as my 3-yo would dive in and throw all the balls out. It would have been fine if it was in a separate room but it was in the lobby itself and near the pool so the balls could have tripped others up.

Breakfast was part of the package. I didn't really enjoy the food but I think it was the heat and just settling into Bali weather. Having grown up in the tropics I was still not used to the humidity. There was a fair range of western and Indonesian food but I can't say the quality was fantastic though it was generously replenished. It just tasted weird and we did sample nicer food elsewhere. The croissants were, well, we usually love croissants but we passed on these. We later stayed at Sanur Paradise Resort Suites and found the croissants there more to the Australian standard. Service was great though and it was very well staffed. Our boys were also free to move around without being frowned at. We ate at the restaurant on our first night - starving. We were dismayed to find the portions tiny. My husband ordered fish fillet with potatoes and something else, thinking that would be substantial. He got a small piece of fish and thin slices of potato! Great for the waistline but not if you are starving.

Location was okay but you have to depend on taxis to go anywhere as there weren't any real shops to walk to. There was a restaurant we discovered too late - Ketupat. It was amazing - setting and food-wise. They also provided entertainment but wasn't well patroned probably due to its location. It was one of the better restaurants in the Legian area and one we would return to for its ambience and overall food quality.

Once we walked to Legian/Kuta from the hotel and it was a long hike. Good thing we did as it gave us our bearings, helped us spot Ketupat as well as a fabric shop I had read about on TA. There was also a leather shop nor far from the hotel but as I hadn't done my homework on prices and quality, I didn't end up getting a bag made.

All the taxis had no probs finding Grand Kuta. They seemed to know it well and it was easy enough to catch a taxi from the road as well. There were bikes for hire at the hotel but we weren't brave enough to venture out on bikes with two boys.

Would we return? Probably not unless we needed a night on arrival or departure, and only if the rate was super cheap. It's more a place to sleep but not to stay at length to relax IMHO.Lots of local tour groups seem to come and go. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh but while we were there, it was okay. Once we sampled other places in Bali, it just seemed so mediocre all round.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Aggie M
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My family and I are so glad to be able to stay at Grand Kuta..
This hotel is very good in quality, cleanliness, friendliness, and also service..
I wish I can stay here on my next holidays..
My satisfied is to thank Grand Kuta Hotel..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stephen_Natanael
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My first trip on a plane and to Bali. I expected less but the hotel has surpassed my expectations is most areas. The hotel was a little hard to find for my cab driver because i think he's still new. Some cab drivers know this hotel as Aston at Grand Kuta. Best to give the driver the full address of Grand Kuta.

We reached at nearly 11pm and the reception guy was a little busy but we enjoyed great service after. Led us to our room and informed us of the various facilities such as the safe, the power socket, this cute little bottle opener in the bathroom, etc. I believed it was really good. But at that point of time, I realised that there was only one power socket available in the entire hotel unit. But the good thing was that it was an universal power socket, so no need for additional travel adapters.

We were also informed by the hotel staff of the Nyepi, an annual Balinese Hindu New Year which required every single person on the island to stay indoors for 24hours. Both bad and good for us. The room service and housekeeping were quite good, though it might have delays every now and then. Food ordered by room service were so-so. We personally loved the wedges though! They raised the prices of their hotel room service food starting from the night before Nyepi till the morning after Nyepi, which was not really pleasant, especially when their food weren't really satisfying to begin with.

As for the hotel breakfast which was included in my package, it was kinda good in a way with a reasonable amount of variety, like porridge with ingredients, local spiced chicken, sausages, mixed vegetables, tofu, sunny side up eggs, etc. They had tasty pancakes though!

I personally expected the hotel shuttle to be a one vehicle, one trip thing where it picks everyone up at a particular time and brings them around, dropping them off at designated places. So i was pleasantly surprised that it could actually bring us to nearby places that we want when we wished to. The Saturday that we checked out, however, the hotel claimed that the shuttle service was only for picking up people from the airport so we had to cab. But cabbing in Bali isn't really expensive, if you followed the meter. Blue Bird Group cabs are a reliable bunch.

A note: The soap and shampoo they provided is kinda bad. Keeps your skin oily after the bath. We didn't like it so we purchased our own body lotion and shampoo.

We had a great overall experience and would recommend others to try this hotel (:

Room Tip: There's a C-shaped building surrounding one of the hotel's pool. The middle of the building...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Gibby_SG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
The Jayakarta Bali Beach Resort
1 mi away
Adi Dharma Hotel
Adi Dharma Hotel
#18 of 251 in Kuta

Been to Grand Kuta? Share your experiences!