“Centrally located, beautiful villa, wonderful amenity, fantastic service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Robins Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Legian
Robins Place
Ranked #18 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Legian
Sydney, Australia
“Centrally located, beautiful villa, wonderful amenity, fantastic service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed here with a large extended family group between the 4th Jan to the 12th Jan (writing this review with the wifi as I wait for my plane). I stayed in Villa 1 - it is beautifully appointed, all the furnishings are of interest from the lion statues on the terraces to the beautiful timber furniture and the kneeling statues at the front and all the various paintings - not to mention the gorgeous carved and painted doors! Just mind your step - they aren't flush with the floor. There are 4 bedrooms, we put the kids in the bunk beds & portacot provided in the room adjoining the bathroom downstairs, and that bathroom also adjoins a bedroom - so it's well set up for family groups with young children. The other bedroom on the ground floor has both a spa bath in the ensuite which is also attached to an outdoor shower - everybody wanted that bedroom! And upstairs is a bedroom with private balcony with seats/table for 2 and a view over the pool.

The place is open to the air as was mentioned by another guest, but I should note that all beds have mosquito nets and mosquito coils are replenished every day by the housekeeper. For privacy you can let down the rattan blinds but we generally left it open because the little courtyard was so nice to wander round in at night - there are lots of little orange frogs, some large snails and a noisy lizard of some sort (which startled me first time I heard it). Because we had a large group we took both villa 1 and the lumbung, so we got to meet the lovely housekeepers Butu (lumbung) and Ketut (villa 1). They were both lovely, so good with the children, and cooked us breakfast every day, and took our washing (we made a lot of it!) and also organized an in-villa massage (quite reasonable at IDR 80,000). They also offered to order in anything we wanted food-wise, or even offered to take my mother on the back of one of their motorbikes to the market but we found it more fun to venture out to the night market on Jalan Nakula (about 20min by brisk walk, not, as my 60+yo mother complained, by what she assumed would be leisurely stroll) and bring home our own wrapped parcels of food. There are restaurants catering to Western tastes much closer in Jalan Werkudara (exit complex, turn left and left) but we like to go where the locals eat. Everything that needed tidying was tidied/swept/put away, toilet paper was never allowed to run out (take note!), water was replaced every day and I can't fault the housekeeping.

We came just after peak so there wasn't too much interaction with other guests, but yes, if you are in the beachy part of Bali, you may well find yourself in the vicinity of young people who like loud music and setting off firecrackers. This isn't the fault of the staff - it's the luck of the draw really, who your hotel/tour/villa/restaurant mates are. I did have some qualms about security (there isn't a door you lock, per se, and the doors to the rest of the complex are closed but not barred) but with hardly anybody around inter-villa security is hardly an issue and they have someone on the gate at all times even at night so people can't enter the complex.

We pretty much had the pool to ourselves - there are many shaded lounges in the pool area, and a cabana with a day bed, and in your own courtyard you get some sunbeds... our kids got quite a tan. On our last day the gardeners were doing their 3-monthly prune of the coconut trees (preemptively removing any fruit/branches that could pose a hazard) and we watched as the fellow just climbed up with minimal equipment and started hacking away. The kids were clamouring for a swim (the pool had all the debris from it in it) and the gardener just tidied it up and cleaned up the pool for one final swim. We have an overnight flight back to Sydney and the staff have been lovely to let us leave have our stuff here while we wait for the plane. Nothing was too much trouble, the service we received was lovely.

And on the matter of service - on the second day of our trip, my uncle fell ill and needed to be moved to hospital. He was in the lumbung at the time which is up a flight of stairs. The lovely Pak Wayan who was on security detail that night helped my husband carry my portly old uncle down a flight of stairs and to the ambulance. I can't thank him enough for his assistance.

We did come across a couple of maintenance issues during our stay, but nothing that would stop us from coming back (excessive electricity use caused the odd outage and the plugs for sink and bath in one of the bathrooms were hard to remove).

Stuff you can walk to: the beach is straight through the grounds of the Jayakarta hotel (opposite street leading to complex). If you need to take a taxi home, your best bet is to catch it to the Jayakarta hotel and then walk 10m and you're in the street leading to the complex. Other stuff you can walk to: massage parlours & salons... they're everywhere (exit complex, go to street, turn left or right, either way you'll find one within 5 mins where you can get a massage or facial from AUD6). For street food you might need to ask around (but there's warungs nearby - exit complex, go to street, turn right, and there's one at the end on the right) but we went to the night market on Jalan Nakula (it's a continuation of Jalan Arjuna/double-six street, you'll need to cross a couple of roads). Mini marts are on Jl Werkudara (exit complex, go to street, turn left, left).

An airport pickup is included by departure and travelling around is your own responsibility. Here I would like to put in a plug for an excellent driver, Pak Oka - 085238500148. You hear so much about warm Balinese hospitality - well, here's the phone number. He generally can be hired for 10 hours (negotiate the rate w him directly) with extra hours as needed to accomodate your schedule. You can (like I did) give him a list of places you want to see, and he'll tell you how to fit the most in during your stay. He can fit 7 people in his vehicle but can hire an elf (12 seater) for you if you need one. I initially hired him with the elf because of the size of my group, but after my uncle fell ill, fewer people were in the mood to tour around so we were quite happy w his usual car (late model, nice new car). He came via recommendation and is a very good driver because he is guided by your lead as to how much (or little) conversation you want. I have had some very taciturn drivers where I've had to drag information about tourist attractions and suggestions out of them (granted, this is in Jakarta where perhaps the distinction between a plain driver vs tour guide might be more pronounced?) but he's lovely and easy to get along with - after asking many questions I learned a lot about not just the tourist attractions we wanted to see but the role of Hinduism in the life of Balinese, and he was just the best tour guide. Looking through some of the brochures, if you, like me, don't really feel like being dragged to towns specializing in batik/tea/silversmiths on a predetermined tour schedule but just want to see certain kinds of things then this might be a good option for you (prices are comparable and in AUD it's just great value for having a driver for the whole day). By the end, he felt like part of the family and it is sad to be saying goodbye. I wish him all the best.

All in all, a lovely place where you can do as little or as much as you want. If you went for a hotel you might pay the same (once you include laundry and sundries) for less service and much less space and privacy. The oldies and kids are now addicted to a Korean drama about the prime minister and a reporter (english subtitles). Only in Asia :)

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 1
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank vicky_szmajda

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Perth, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

We arrived back from a 10 day stay at Robins Place on the 28th December. We stayed in the Lumbung Villa and was disappointed from the start. As we entered the villa there was a strong smell of mothballs which was overpowering for the whole of our stay. The Lumbung is a traditional Balinese style hut and therefore, noise from a neighbouring property (I believe it was a temple?) woke us up early each morning and the noise from local clubs and motor bikes kept us awake until up to 3am some nights. Being traditional, mosquitos had easy access to the villa. The furnishings in the villa are quite old and the television is the old style and when certain colours dominated the screen, the buzzing was so loud that we couldn't hear what was being said. The cushions on the lounge seemed to have bugs in them although they were changed swiftly when we mentioned this to Putu who looked after our villa. Putu was fantastic and kept the villa spotlessly clean and took of us including washing our clothes by hand each day. Nothing was too much for her. We wouldn't recommend staying in the Lumbung Villa unless the owners spent some money on it and updated it. I believe the other villas onsite are lovely, so please bare in mind our review is on the Lumbung Villa only. If we hadn't been required to pay the balance of $900 in cash on arrival, we probably would have looked for other accommodation. We have stayed in some lovely hotels and villas in Bali before, so will have to put this holiday down to experience!

Room Tip: Don't plan on booking the Lumbung Villa if you value a good nights sleep!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank HeathernDavid B
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

My wife, daughter and I have just returned from a 10 day stay in Robins Place Legian.
We were meet at the airport and driven to what was the start of one of the most relaxing holidays I have had in years.
Our Villa (Villa 2) was very clean and spacious with three bed rooms, two down stairs and one upstairs all with their own on-suites, there is a large living / meals area to relax in, read a book or watch a movie. All the staff where amazing, the girls that looked after villa 2 prepared a healthy breakfast and cleaned the villa each day with no fuss, nothing was a problem for them. THANKYOU GIRLS
The villa opens onto its own private court yard / garden which is kept immaculately, you only have to walk through a small doorway into the pool area, we spent a lot of time in the pool area reading on the day bed and jumping into the pool to cool down.
The pool area is a good place to have an evening drink before heading out. The area is surrounded by good restaurants and shops, one of my favourite restaurants is Blue Ocean overlooking the beach.
To the owners of Robins Place I would like to thank you for allowing us to stay in your oasis once again, I have been there on a number of accessions and have never been let down.
I look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Neil W
Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

For two weeks my partner and I were fortunate enough to stay at this oasis as part of a large family trip.

My room was in the new villa leading off from the pool and backed onto the pool of Donna’s villa (the owner). Unfortunately her son and his teenage friends were staying at the time we were there and we were constantly woken at 4am in the morning after the boys had returned from clubbing and decided that playing loud music, and being very loud whilst jumping around in the pool was acceptable behaviour and having no regard to the paying guests. Very annoying!

Having said that, there was no other disappointment for our stay. Anton and the girls were just simply, AMAZING. Nothing was difficult and the staff were always smiling and accommodated everything that we had asked for, including finding a beach band for my brothers 50th, who played around the pool for us,

Arranging transport for day trips, exchanging money (without getting ripped off), arranging tours, doing grocery shopping was no problem, Anton just used his phone and everything happened seamlessly.

The rooms were large and well equipped for the climate and cleaned to a high standard.

Centrally located in Rum Jungle Road the new villa is ideal for groups of up to 12 people and for large gatherings, you can book the other villas as well (located just down the pathway)

Room Tip: the2 main bedroom bathrooms in th enew 6 bedroom villa become unusable in heavy windy rain (all bat...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
DONGARA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Just came back from Bali and stayed at Robins Place Villa 4. It is beautiful and the staff, Anton and Emi and the others were fantastic. I had my 50th birthday there and they cooked a big Indo feast for 20 of us and it was yummy. They can not do enough for you. The layout of the villa is great. There was 12 of us and plenty of room. Great location also.. The only thing that I think they need is a little light to shine on the number plate at the front gate. We had difficulty seeing the number at night as we all had 40 something year old eyes. Ha Ha

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 184SAMBO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in the 6 bedroom villa with 8 girls and I cannot fault anything about our stay . The villa is amazing, the staff went above & beyond to accommodate us and the location is exceptional. I just hope that not to many people find out about this hidden gem that it becomes impossible to get a booking !!! From the moment we stepped into the villa we were in heaven <3 the photos do not do it justice and the entire staff are just amazing . Thank you for looking after us so well

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Sjmawson
Albury, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Thanks so much for our amazing stay at your villas last week. Perfect location for amazing restaurants, beach, restaurants and bars.

I travelled with my husband and 7 year old and 3 year old and we had the most amazing time. I will not be able to stay in a hotel anymore due to our amazing experience at Robins Place.

Thanks you to all the staff and owners who made our stay something we will be telling friends and family about for years to come.

We are already planning our next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CathBakker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
The ONE Legian
Ossotel
Ossotel
#6 of 84 in Legian
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,032 reviews

Been to Robins Place? Share your experiences!