“Excellent Value for MOney”
Review of Anakula Villas

Anakula Villas
Ranked #51 of 81 Specialty Lodging in Legian
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent Value for MOney”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I work and live in Bali and for Christmas my family were coming to visit. Since I live out of the main town where everything is on your doorstep - we decided to stay at Villa Anakula so that we were close to everything and everyone could come and go as they pleased.

The location is superb!!!!!! A few hundred meters walk down the small road and you are on the main drag of Jalan Legian - You have everything at your fingertips, from Bintang Supermarket, Double Six Beach and many great restaurants. Plus if you need a taxi any where you just stick out your hand and you will come across one within seconds.

We rented 2 villas where we could then open the big wooden gate and combine the two villas. It was perfect being able to do that.

Everything about that place was great - where there was an aqua gallon and dispenser so you didn't have to bother with many bottles of water - you just topped up the one bottle.

The bedrooms were great - I really liked the layout of them so much that I have taken photos and aim to have the bedrooms in my house I am building reflect the layout of Anakula Villas.

The bathrooms were extremely spacious and for people who have previously complained about the smell of the water - it is not due to the tanks etc. It is the sulfur from the underground water - so just let it run for a few mins and then it will be gone.

I find that previous people who have reviewed this villa are way too picky and expect 5 star service for a cheap price. These people have to realize that Bali si not cheap any more and I was so thankful to have found Villa Anakula - because we would have been paying double the price in other villas that are in the same area.

What you are really paying for in other villas are the staff cooking you breakfast, big luxurious fluffy towels, people tending to your every need etc.

Villa Anakula doesn't come with breakfast and the towels are just normal towels like I have at home and for me that is totally fine - as I am not paying the extra for these things.

I preferred it where the staff there would leave us alone and they would come in once a day and clean the rooms and kitchen and then leave us alone. But if we every did want anything, all we had to do was go out the front and ask. My dad needed a tailor and one of the girls was very kind that she got dad to jump on her bike and she took him somewhere down the road. We also needed to hire a car and driver for the day - so the security guy there that night organized that in a few mins.

The staff were more than willing to help us at any time of day if we asked.

The only thing I would mention is that if there was a family considering this villa, I would be aware of the closeness of the pool to the living room. Any type of tiles in Bali here will be slippery if they get wet. With kids jumping in and out of the pool and then dripping over the tiles in the living room - you are going to have accidents and people slipping over. You can tell kids 100 times to not run and stop dripping / splashing water - but we all know that they are never going to be careful. So just be aware of that issue if you have kids.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RebeccaHamer

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here in October 2011 and had such a great time, we invited our friends to join us when we would return again in July 2012. I wrote a great review for our October stay. We booked both adjoining villas. Initially we we having a great time until we returned to our villas from being out all day to discover that we had $900.00 stolen from our safe. Our friends had $1000.00 stolen from theirs. We were absolutely horrified to find that it was a staff member who had stolen the money as upon our return to the villas, all doors and safes were still locked. It was found that although the safes are electronic, there are also keys that open each safe which are hanging in the security office for all staff to access. When we spoke with the Manager of the villa, she refused to contact the owner for us, to advise of what had happened. After much digging, we tracked down the owner of the villa.He informed us he had just sold the villas but was still Managing the villas during the transition. He advised us it was not his concern as he no longer owned the villas. We called in the Balanese Police who interrogated three staff over a period of three days. After much persuasion from a Balanese friend, and threatenining to go onto every website we could find, to notify any prospective visitors of our ordeal, the new owner eventually gave us our money back. Our Balanese friend was extremely upset as you can imagine, as he said this was very bad for Balanese business. Fortunately our friends we were travelling with, were returning to Perth, but we had to stay there as we could not find accommodation anywhere else for the remainder of our stay. After having reported this theft to Police, the staff at the villa totally ignored us, our villas were not cleaned for three days and our w-ifi cut off in case we went onto any website.We have never been treated to such an ordeal whilst on holidays in Bali. We have been to Bali 9 times now and we will never return to these villas or recommend them to anyone. Our Balanese friend spoke with local people in the area who advised him that this is not the first time people from these villas had had money stolen. The most upsetting thing for us, was that when we first stayed here (Oct 2011), we recommended these villas to all our friends, some of whom have actually stayed here. On our first visit, we were extremely happy with the villas location, staff, pools ect and were really looking forward to our return and would have continued to return to these villas had this ordeal not have taken place. The ironic thing is, the last time we stayed here, my husband thought our money had disappeared rather quickly, and I told him he was silly, that we must have simply spent it and not realised. This time he kept a written log as did our friends'-$1900.00 not a bad days work for a Balanese woker!!!!! Police report number:LP/576/Vii/2012/Bali/Resta dps/Sek Kuta, tertangal 12 Juli 2012.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank Jodes000
Anakula, Owner at Anakula Villas, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
More than 5 months ago a guest one-sidedly claimed she lost monies in our villa, which she also claimed that such monies were put in the safe deposit of the villa. The management of the villa immediately called the police to investigate such claim. However, after more 24 hours of police investigation, including asking questions to 3 staffs of our villa, the police could not find any grounds for such claim.

Up to this moment, we are still wondering whether or not at the first place the claimed monies are existed, not to mention lost or stolen. However, to show a good faith and high quality services of the villa management, though management has no obligation to replace the alleged lost money, the management decided to replace all money alleged to have been lost. At the end of the day, the issue was settled and the guest is happy with such decision.

It is just unfortunately that during the police investigation, the staffs of our villa are occupied with the investigation, which interrupted our quality of services to our guests. However, we were still provided our high quality services to the guest as normal business, though that particular guest kept complaining on our services from every single point of view.

In contrary, our good faith and high quality services have not been fully comprehended by the guest who wrote her groundless claim [based on police investigation] on Trip Advisor. We just do not understand that our good faith is misunderstood by the guest and we do not understand the intention of the guest to write her claim after more than 5 months of her claim, as such claim has been settled amicably by the management of the villa and herself.

Being accused by one of the guests of such as unfounded claim and held for 24 hours in the police station, then finally being proven innocent by the police, created significant psychological trauma for these staffs leaving them very nervous in the work situation.

This is our first time dealing with such inconvenience, we are disappointed with the attitude of such irresponsible guest whose issue has been settled amicably and in good faith by the management of the villas more than 5 months ago. We believe that there are readers who are our regular guests who really enjoy, satisfy and appreciate our services during their stay in our villas.

Anakula Management

Travelers are raving about these Legian hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Great Villa. Six of us stayed at Anakula and we had a great time. The villa is spacious, comfortable and very clean. The layout was functional and private.

The staff was very friendly and efficient. Our air-conditioner was not working too well so they attempted to fix it but couldn't so it was replaced within hours. We were very happy to come back from shopping to find a brand new AC in our room. Nothing was a problem.

The bedroom and bathroom doors didn't seal when closed but we didn't notice any mosquitoes or bugs in the rooms. In fact we hardly noticed any bugs at all even outside in the living area. The villas are obviously well maintained.

The road outside the villas has been a work in progress for the last year and paving is near completion so walking to and from the villas without obstacles will not be a problem very soon.

Looking forward to staying at Anakula again next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank rosbali
Lake Munmorah, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed September 11, 2012

we travelled to bali with another family in August 2012 and stayed in the two connecting villas. we were expecting the worst having read some of the reviews and were pleasantly surprised. There was a strong smell of mould and rank water but Bali is a third world country! the staff were wonderful however we had some trouble with our pool...the pump and filter stopped working and we were unable to use it for half of our holiday. The kids were very disappointed and we spoke to the manager about a refund of some of our money...instead we were offered a free in-house meal...not really compensation for half a holiday without a pool in bali!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Ms RebeccaHamer said it all, and I agree with her 100%. I'll just add a little bit more as we've actually stayed there last May.

We stayed at Villa Satu (One), the one where the guardhouse is (bit odd thou cos on our wifi connection, we can only connect to Villa Dua (two) LoL). Anyway, if you look at the photos of other reviews, its the one with the broken glass and where the doors don't quite shut. I personally didn't mind cos we always felt safe all thru our stay here, maybe because of the guard being right outside our door.

The Villa was very well kept, dishes washed, floors mopped,fresh towels everyday etc.

There was a power interruption on the second or third night of our stay (we stayed for a week), for more than 3hours if am not mistaken, sadly, Villa Anakula didn't have any power generator back then. Most of the villas on that street didn't have any either, aside from the Jass Villas (?), which of course is way more expensive than the Anakula. The guard gave us a battery operated lamp, that's cos we asked. Otherwise, we would have been in the dark til the power came back on.

The water stank for the first couple of days of our stay, mainly because they didn't put enough treatment.

Another thing to note about this Villa is, it's proximity to the famous Legian stretch, where you can find a handful of bars, restaurants and shops. Plus the Bintang supermarket. Ask the staff and they'll show you how to get there by foot, around 15mins walk (max).

Every morning, we will walk down the beach via Jalan Arjuna, 20mins walk maybe, and end up at jalan double six, where again, more shops, bars and restos.

To be honest, I would consider staying in this villa if we find ourselves heading to Bali again. Nothing special yes, but we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I live and work in Bali. My family is coming up here for Christmas and I live about 30 mins out of Legian / Seminyak. So we thought that as a treat we would all rent a villa closer to town for a few days. I was recommended Villa Anakula through an agent and it looked wonderful on their website. But before I book anything now - I always go on tripadvisor to check out the reviews. Villa Anakula had a list of bad reviews, so I thought that since I live here I should go and check it out for myself before I book. It was the cheapest option around for us at peak season and I wanted to see if what people were complaining about, really was true.

Honestly, the bad reviews had no merit what so ever and people who write these reviews don't realize how much their bad review can affect someones business. So I felt compelled to write what I saw and thought of the villas.

The price is amazing for what you get and people don't realize that Bali is not a cheap place for accommodation any more.

-Yes it is about 500 m off the main drag of Legian Street - but that is not a hidden surprise, as the website shows a map. Use your legs and go for a walk.

-Yes the road it is located on is not the best, but this is not the fault of the villa management. It is up to the local village to pave the road. They are now actually in the process of paving the road anyhow.

-Yes their is no pool fence and the two bedrooms are not adjacent to each other. So if you have small children it is not safe to have them sleeping in a bedroom with a swimming pool in between. But this is all obvious on the website. Why complain on tripadvisor about this aspect, when you should have done your research.

-I met Annie the manager and some of the staff. They were friendly, welcoming and happily answered all my questions. I think people expect 5 star service - but they forget that all they have to do is ask and make a request. Instead people just complain when things don't happen.

-People must realize that their are cultural differences and sometimes the staff are unaware that western tourists want privacy and to not have staff coming into your villa - just kindly ask them to not come in unannounced.

-The bathrooms appeared to be extremely clean and there was no moldy and musty smell in the bedrooms.

-Lastly, people complaining about rats really have to realize that they are in Bali!!!!! There are rats everywhere and it is not due to a dirty villa that attracts them. They are just everywhere. I am constantly setting traps for rats in my own house and I have an extremely clean house. They come from the rice fields and the surrounding villages. So yes you will see a rat, but just ask the staff nicely to set some traps.

-So after going there and spending an hour smelling, looking and turning on taps etc. I found no problems what so ever with Villa Anakula and I can't wait to stay there with my family at Christmas time.

-Please be mindful when you are writing a negative review and make sure that your complaints are warranted. If you want to complain about small towels etc - well go and pay over $300 a night for a small room at a 5 star hotel.

-I'll write another review of the villa after Christmas time and let you know how it all went. But for the excellent price they offer, it looks to be great value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank RebeccaHamer
Adelaide
Reviewed July 9, 2012

In May 2012 we spent 21 nights at Anakula Villa. We had two villas with the dividing wall open that gave us 4 bedrooms and two pools side by side. I have been unable to find anything to complain about other than the towels in the bathroom we're too small. Big deal. The staff were excellent and could not do enough to ensure we enjoyed our stay. The villas were cleaned daily and were very well presented. I would recommend this villa to anyone looking for clean and well maintained acomodation that is excellently located in Seminyak.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank davidmacAdelaide
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
The Villas Bali Hotel & Spa
#15 of 81 in Legian
Anemalou Villas & Spa
Anemalou Villas & Spa
#26 of 81 in Legian

Been to Anakula Villas? Share your experiences!