“I felt moody when I left the place”
Review of The Island Hotel

The Island Hotel
Ranked #9 of 86 Specialty Lodging in Legian
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I missed this hostel.
As I left, I actually felt a little moody.

The Island,
tucked away in one corner of Legian,
has a strategic location of being near Jalan Legian through the backdoor,
and within walking distance to the Beach.

The room comes with an attached toilet,
which comes with a rain shower.
Nice and clean towels.
The provided shampoo and shower gel,
were unlike many others I have encountered.
The shower gel contains Almond Oil, Vitamin E and Aloe Vera,
which is soothing for sunburnt skin.
The shampoo comes with mint.
Extremely considerate beach goers.

The lobby area,
which serves also as a dining area,
chillout area,
is an open concept area for mingling.
You can sit there and read,
or use the wifi.
If you like a beer, the counter is also at the same area.

On my last day,
I had to pack a go-away lunch.
Although they do not have the practise of doing so,
they still came up with something for me.
Chicken Schnitzel sandwich.
(It was soooo delicious. Avocado with Schnitzel.)

And a booking with the hotel,
gives you a one-hour free massage,
which was fantastic!

I like the open concept,
warmth and friendliness of the staff,
clean environment,
well equipped rooms.
It really lives up to its ranking on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed November 16, 2010

This is the place to be in Legian if you want somewhere in the heart of the action and a place to meet fellow travellers, yet that is a cut above your typical traveller destination. The hotel has a great vibe, with plunge pool, sofa area for lounging, cool tunes on the stereo, and a great roof top bar for a drink at sunset. Its super clean, and the rooms are spacious with air con and wide screen tv - it feels luxurious.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2010

On landing in Bali after a 26 hour jounrney- I was tired slightly dishevelled!

On hotel arrival, I was greeted by amazing staff who unloaded my bags from me, sat me down and offered me a beer! Check-in was quick and effortless, and the staff took my bag straight to my room.

First impressions were brilliant. The hotel was spotlessly clean, with such a lovely design. Beautiful exotic flowers everywhere, and calming background music in the reception area.

I was offered a tour of the hotel, which was a fab opportunity for me to get my bearings. I was literally blown away as soon as I walked into the pool area. The pool is amazing. There were lovely wicker sunbeds displayed around it, with matching island towels- instantly screaming organised, and thoughtful.

The rooms are really brilliant. They are spacious and VERY clean. The little touches make this hotel something special. Random flowers dotted around, and homely 'island' pillows were great finishing touches.

There is a raised terrace overlooking the pool area, which has a great little outside hut perfect for cocktails/beers at sunset. There are a few more sunbeds up there too, which means you dont have to go very far to the bar when sunbathing!

Up on another level there is another hut, lounge area which is cushioned cmoplete with a coffee table. Perfect for watching the sunset- a really phenominal view. I spent a few evenings up here with my friends chatting, and drinking before we went out.

The bathrooms are brilliant, and the communal bathroom for the dorm, is FAB! Evrything you need, and lovely slate showers with huge shower heads. I felt like I was in my own little spa! There are covered plug points in there too so you could get ready in there with your friends if you fancied it!

If there are lots of you- you should DEFINITELY stay in the dorm! It is really lovely, and there are cute wicker baskets under all the bed for your bits- and lockers. Not that we needed lockers! I left my iphone, ipod, money, purse etc out on my bed all the time, and the maids used to put it in a very neat little pile on top of my pillow for me after cleaning and making my bed! Amazing- they really are so loyal to the hotel owners, Claire and Rich.

Claire and Rich are really beautiful people. They make a huge effort with everybody that stays at the hotel. They ate with us, took us out for dinner- showed us around some of the hot spots, organised our massages and even took us out surfing! I always felt at home. They have a GREAT manager- Nev. He is just fab! Always making sure everything is running like clockwork, and totally relaxed about things.

The reception area is a great place to chill out. There are beanbags, lots of cushions and cute coffee tables to sit on/at and use the island wifi!

The food is BRILLIANT!! I had a great vairety of the dishes, and every single one of them was great. The breakfasts are something special! They have fab hangover cure breakfasts, juices and wraps. And the bacon is the good stuff!

Even when I asked them to take care of my own tea, they remembered who I was and used to bring me fresh cups with my breakfast. It's the little touches!

Overall, I would definitely rate this hotel. I am already looking to go back in March, and I would love to stay at the Island- if it's not fully booked! It is always full with people, because everyone seems to fall in love with it there. Even people who weren't staying in the hotel were made to feel welcome, and even came in for the highly recommended massages and yoga sessions!

Don't miss this opportunity to get down there and check it out!

Fi

2  Thank FiLilley
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Beautiful little boutique hotel within walking distance to the beach, shops and restaurants. Stayed here for two weeks in both the dormitory and also a private double. Even though a tremendous amount of partying was had, I was able to chill out, smoothie in hand, in the many different spaces, whether it be the cafe/reception area, by the pool, on the roof terrace or at the 'sunset bale'. The staff are great fun and extremely helpful, and go out of their way to make you feel at home.

Stay here!

Reviewed November 8, 2010

I couldn't recomend the Island more highly; It ticks all the boxes and more! The Island has a great vibe, the staff are really friendly and it's a great place to meet people, especially if you are staying in the dorm (which is luxurious and there's was loads of storage space). This is by far the best hotel in Bali!

Reviewed October 19, 2010

A nice place to stay if you're looking for a bit of western comfort for a reasonable price. Nice and clean with an "infinity pool" although this doesn't make much sense since it is basically surrounded by the building.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The Island is a really great place to stay. You meet friendly people and the local is also in the heart of party-town Legian. The Hostel is really clean and offers a nice outdoor-pool. Also a relax zone is offered at the entrance and next to the pool. The dorm was really clean and the aircondition makes the summer in Bali not feelable during the night. I would definitely go back there and highly recommend to stay there!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Sun Island Hotel & Spa Legian
#10 of 308 in Canggu
M Hostel
M Hostel
#79 of 430 in Seminyak

Been to The Island Hotel? Share your experiences!