“Stay away”

Ranked #12 of 81 Specialty Lodging in Legian
Montreal, Canada
“Stay away”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Room dirty and basic. Towels provided dirty. Cockroach in the bathroom
Aircon started leaking in the middle of the night on top of our head. Staff invisible when the only thing we have asked wad the wifi that didn't work.

• Stayed November 2012
theislandhotel, General Manager at The Island Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
The Island Hotel appreciates all feedback and is constantly striving to improve our service to guests. Sometimes circumstances can bring about an unsatisfactory outcome regardless of efforts to the contrary. Any criticism is taken seriously and will be given due consideration by management to ensure negative experiences are kept to a minimum. The predominantly positive feedback we get suggests that more often than not this objective is achieved.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed at the Island Hotel for 7 nights in October 2012. The location is great. You can walk to Legian beach in 10 minutes and Kuta in 20. If you take a scooter/taxi it's much quicker as well. I paid around $19/night for a 12 bed room. The room was great, cleaned everyday, big beds, lockers for your valuables, and plenty of outlets to charge phones, etc. I set up trips to Uluwatu and Ubud with reception which both turned out great. Also, you can get a great massage (not the massage plus plus that's on the street) for $5/hour. The pool is great too. There's no kitchen to cook your own food in, but it's so cheap in Bali anyway that you don't really need one. The cafe in front is open until 9pm and you get a 15% discount for staying at the hostel. The food is great as well and the staff are incredibly friendly. If you want a SIM card ask reception and they'll make a call for you and someone will arrive and set it up for you. It cost me $10 for the week but I had a ton of credit left over. Free breakfast until 12pm, but make sure you get there by at least 11:45 other wise you may not get it. Great place, I would stay there again!

Room Tip: The dorm room upstairs has better AC and may be quieter as well.
1 Thank Adam T
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

3 nights in a dorm between 22 - 25 October. Awesome awesome awesome. Great food, great pool, great upstairs gazebo with views over all the houses and a bit of the beach. Will definitely stay again if going back to Bali.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here 1 night in a deluxe double which I got at a last minute rate of 400k.  The security could be improved - the locker in my room wasn't very solid however it was a lovely place and I felt pampered. A real antidote to Legian Kuta which is a hole.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just got back from Bali after an interesting stay!! I was at the end of my backpacking trip and Bali was my finish point for 4 days before coming home...I spent 2 of them in bed after a very bad accident. I slipped by the pool at the hotel on the tile floor under the terrace on my 2nd day there and split my head open on the floor. I had concussion, stitches and a really bad head/neck injury as a result. There are no signs anywhere to say the floor is slippery when wet!

After arriving by air from Singapore, I was expecting an airport transfer which had been confirmed by the hotel in an email. No-body was waiting for me, and the taxi drivers hassled me the whole time I was trying to find out where my pick up was. I called the hotel to find out they were not there to pick me up and she told me to get a cab + they would pay 60-70,000. All the cabs wanted 100,000+ to take me to the hotel. I walked across the street to eventually bargain a cab for 70,000 (as I was a backpacker on a budget), just annoying when you expect them to be there and they are not, and your carrying all your backpack etc with you. The hotel did honor this on arrival and took it off my bill.

I stayed in the upstairs dorm room - it was beautiful, clean and large. The a/c did not work the entire time I stayed there despite complaining twice for them to fix it. It still remained 30+ degrees in the room, and after I left, other backpackers had to move to another hostel as it was far too hot to stay in a place where you are paying for the a/c to be working. I did look around Kuta and found some really nice hostels there for even cheaper than here with pools + a/c. It was a shame I had already booked in and then was too sick to do or go anywhere, and had to spend most of my time in a room where the a/c did not work and I felt awful!!

The wifi worked most of the time - one day it was down the entire day...the day I needed to contact my family after the accident. So it left all my friends and family worrying about me, but I could not go out anywhere as I was too sick to move from my bed.

There was only one washroom upstairs with a cold shower (like freezing) I did try it once....it was worth the trip going down to the downstairs shower area, with 4 showers/4 toilets. Just sucks if you forgot anything cos it was a mission to get back to the upstairs dorm room. Free towels though and as many as you want!!! It was great!!!

Breakfast was lovely - got to choose 3 of 4 options - bowl of fruit, 2 pieces of toast with jam, tea/coffee, and/or juice. Could pay extra 50 for some other stuff. The pizza is delicious too!!! I tried fish + chips (meh!!) Defo go for the pizza!

Kuta town is around a 10 min taxi ride from the hotel costing 15,000 if you insist they put the meter on. It shouldn't cost anymore than that! To walk it takes 20mins to the top of the strip and 40-45mins to get to the main bars, and maybe even a little longer to get on the main beach. The sidewalks are not in the best condition so I did get a taxi into town. I went to Kuta beach my first day, which was interesting. You get hassled by a lot of Asian people asking to take your photograph or they just start snapping shots with you and you have to tell them to go away. Then the Bali people hassle you the whole time asking you to buy things, etc. Go to the skybar for free drinks 9-10pm - they are lethal!!! Be aware!!! We also finished our night at the bounty ship which had cheap drinks, poles, lots of good looking men :) I was with a group of girls that I had met, and we were looking to party and have fun!!

I did the Telega Waja rafting trip...not the best rapids I have done. It was mainly the guys getting out the raft to push it over rocks cos it got stuck. Not much paddling involved. Probably wouldn't class it too much as a 3-4 rapids mainly 2's...I have done much worse, but I had read up on it before and other reviews had said these were the best...so I don't know about other rapids in the area. I came for the intensity of them. We did get it for a good price 25,000 for 2 of us. So can't complain too much haha!!

I wanted to do the Mt Agung trek, but the volcano had erupted causing fires everywhere, so the mountain was unfortunately closed.

Also booked a trip to the Gili islands, but due to my accident, did not get to go there :( It is supposed to be beautiful however!!

Overall, if your a backpacker wanting to party, stay in Kuta - maybe here for a night for a rest if you've had a long party trip haha!! If your wanting somewhere quiet and really out of the way of not much, then this was a great find!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

It's my first stay at this hotel. It's located in a long alleyway, so a car can't drop you in front of the hotel's lobby. It will also be a long walk if you bring luggage, backpack is more suitable. The facilities are very good indeed, cool air-con, clean towels everyday, hot and cold shower, WiFi in the room (though the most strength signal is at the porch and restaurant) and most important, clean bed sheets! If you stay more than 3 nights, you can get a full body massage for an hour, which is heaven by the way! The pool is also nice, petite pool but pleasant. The room is very minimalist, to save up space, they use bunk bed. The bathroom is quite spacious, besides the shower, the sink also has hot and cold water. Renting motorcycles or bicycles are recommended, since it's a bit far from Kuta Beach or Legian street area. Don't forget to try the Pizza at the restaurant and the massage!

Room Tip: For good deal to stay at this hotel, go to hostelworld.com or other similar web, there are extra dis...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Booked this hotel-hostel due to some recommendation, we found ourselves very satisfied and happy of having choosen this place for our first nights of our our first trip to Bali.
You've got everything you need just a stone's throw away: the beach, nice restaurants (next to the beach), a 24/7 shop, bikes to rent, spa&massage,...
Moreover, you'll meet nice people there regardless of the status in which you are tavelling (couple, single, group) and you're offered great possibilities tojus hang out there during the day/at night.
Finally, a little hint: pay a little extra charge in the morning and try the cappuccino instead of the regular "lifeless" coffee...you won't regret!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple