“Great location and staff”

The Camakila Legian Bali
Ranked #23 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location and staff”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed 7.5 nights at the Ramada Kamakila, Legian from 23 March 2013. We loved the location of this hotel, across the road from the beach and close to many great restaurants. The rooms were large and clean. Fatma kept us amused with making our towels into animals such as a swan, turtle and monkey. Although, he did struggle at my husbands request for truck! The staff were all very friendly and courteous. We loved having cocktails late in the day when returning from the beach and the guys in Tao Restaurant know how to make cocktails. The food and drink prices are very reasonable which is a welcome surprise compared to some hotels. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuenRob1010
RamadaCamakila, General Manager at The Camakila Legian Bali, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear SuenRob1010,

Thank you so much for the great review about our hotel, restaurant and team. I hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit to Bali (and you never know, Fatma might have perfected the art of towel truck making by then! ☺)

All the best,

Greg Harrison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, WA
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last week during a kid-free trip to Bali to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I'll get any criticisms out of the way first. The room we had would have been big enough to allow a bit more storage space for clothes and also a table and chairs. This is a minor observation which didn't really bother me much, but I did wonder, as the hotel offers room service meals, where you'd be expected to eat it?
Also, the lounges round the pool don't really get that much sun.
Now the positives which is just about everything else;
The location is perfect - quiet enough to relax, but near enough to walk to all the action / restaurants / shops / beach / spas / mini marts etc..
The staff are wonderful and nothing is too much trouble. They never stop smiling! Our room boy Danny did a great job and even made new towel animals each day.
We only ate breakfast at the hotel as we like to head out in the evening, but it was always fresh, tasty and plentiful, with an egg chef at hand for omelettes, waffles and fresh pancakes.

They even came to our rescue following one bad incident - we changed money outside the hotel and I knew I should have around 4.2m rupiah. After counting twice we left the shop and went for coffee (50k). Then back at the room I was putting some money in the safe and giving my wife some for her purse and I now had only around 2.6m rupiah??? I checked everywhere and counted twice more but we had to come to the conclusion we'd been had. I didn't think I could have been more vigilant at the money changer but he somehow managed to divert my eyes for long enough to take some notes back. We went to reception to ask their advice and they told us to return to the shop with the hotel security officer. When we did, the security guy said something to the money changer in Indonesian. He called me forward and we agreed I should have had 4.2m rupiah. He then asked me to empty my wallet and we counted around 2.6m. He took all the rupiah back and then handed me all of my $400 AUD back!
I never did thank him for buying the coffee :-)
DO NOT CHANGE MONEY AT THE SHOP DIRECTLY OPPOSITE THE HOTEL RECEPTION!! We have since learned we were not the first to be tricked. Now we know why he offers the best rates around.

We got a deal on the net for our room with breakfast for just under $100 p/night and I think that was great value. The smelly water that people have mentioned on here is true, but the smell goes after you run the shower for 30 seconds or so. I would recommend this hotel for couples as a good value place to stay in a great location. If I had active kids, not so much so as the pool sees little sun.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Perthhomeloanguy
RamadaCamakila, General Manager at The Camakila Legian Bali, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Perthhomeloanguy,

What a great review of our property. Thank you very much for the great comments about our location, staff and breakfast. We try really hard to make our guests feel relaxed while they are with us and I am pleased to hear that we succeeded in your case.

I am also very pleased that our security team managed to right the unfortunate incident that you had at the money changer. These things happen from time to time in Bali and we have notified the police before about this particular Money Changer across the road, but he is still operating. Fortunately, there are many honest Money Changers around us, whom we direct guests to.

We are hearing our guests’ request for additional storage in the rooms and we are looking at potential options. We do appreciate your patience as this will take time to design and implement.

We look forward to your next visit.

Geelong
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ramada for 9 nights mid April. We enjoyed our stay and were made very welcome by the staff and management. We had a ground floor garden room which was just near the pool and restaurant which was great . Our room was very nice and clean , the only thing I was disappointed in was the bathroom. There was mould in the grout of the tiles and bathroom needs a facelift. Apart from that the resort is excellent, very quiet and relaxing and great for couples. There are lots of great beachfront restaurants and shopping close by.

Room Tip: Ground floor garden or pool side room
Dear Grelouneilorn,

Thank you for your wonderful comment about our team, pool and restaurants. I am very pleased to hear that you received the warm welcome that our team is so well known for.

We hope to see you again on a next trip to Bali.

Perth
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Ramada is in an excellent location, so close to the Legian beach front restaurants and good shopping. We had a deluxe room, downstairs with access to the pool which was awesome. Staff are lovely and rooms generous size, clean, modern decore with nice big beds! Breakfast spread was great - anything & everything. We have travelled to Bali many times and this place is so far our favourite. So many lovely restaurants within walking distance and a Luna Spa across the road to pamper yourself. Ask for Justin - he's the best at painting beautiful flowers on your nails!!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool side room if you want to be able to go straight out from your room.
1 Thank MrandMrsSmith111
Dear MrandMrsSmith111,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your lovely review about our property. We are especially pleased about your enthusiastic review since you are Bali veterans and have had a chance to compare! ☺

We look forward to seeing you again very soon,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I have just stayed at this fabulous resort and had a wonderful time. It was our first time visiting Bali and didn't want to be in the hustle and bustle of Kuta, but wanted to be close enough to visit shops. The Ramada Camakila was perfect!! The resort is fabulous. It is in a quiet area of Legian and all the staff are very friendly and happy to help in any way they can. There was only a slight problem - there was no shelving for clothes - we had to live out of our suitcase except for things that were on coathangers. We would certainly go back to this resort.

Dear LADun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us during your recent stay. I am very happy to hear that we were able to show you a great time for your first visit to our great island!

In the hopes of seeing you again very soon,

Brisbane
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My partner booked a trip to Bali to celebrate my birthday. We had stayed at The Ramada Resort Camakila in Legian, and had absolutley loved it. The staff were all extremly accomodating and made our stay unforgettable. The rooms were very spacious & well maintained, and after having our room cleaned daily we would always return to wonderful types or towel art neatly presented on our bed.The pools were unreal, and the rooftop bar which overlooks the beach & pool was beautiful, especially during sunsets. I also enjoyed the buffet breakfast which had served a great variety of food to choose from. The two resturants at the hotel served great food and only serve mineral ice cubes with all drinks. The hotel is also walking distance from other amazing resturants along the beach and shops. The hotel also organised a surprise cake on my birthday which was brought out by staff singing & clapping, a very kind gesture. I found my stay in Bali was fun, relaxing & unforgettable thanks to the friendly staff. We will definately be returning to Bali & will certainly be staying at the Ramada Resort Camakila Bali once again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kdash26
Dear kdash26,

What a great review of our property, team members and restaurants! I am so pleased to hear that your birthday was memorable and that we were able to take a small part in your celebration. Let’s make it a yearly tradition!

Once again, we wish you all the best for the year to come.

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Our travel agent booked us here for 4 nights - it was so bad we left after 2.Room was not ready. When we finally got to it, it was very disappointing. Don't get sucked in by the photos. The place is very worn and tacky. The bathroom was dirty, the shower was crap - you ended up with water everywhere. The water smelled of rotten eggs. I went to make a cup of coffee only to find the cups filthy and stained.The sheets had stains on them, even though they had probably been washed. We went across the road to the beach which was supposedly a selling point for this hotel. The beach was littered with garbage and the water was covered with a greasy brown filth. You wouldn't swim in it. We went to the pool instead, but there was nowhere you could get away from cigarette smoke. The pool area was occupied by people who sat in the pool smoking and drinking all day. Fine if that is your idea of a holiday, but I wouldn't recommend it with children.

Breakfast was really disappointing. Both mornings we had to have the ants wiped off the table before we could eat. The coffee was like lukewarm dishwater and the food was greasy and barely warm. The hotel has no decent shopping within walking distance = if you wanted to go anywhere you needed a taxi.

Positive note - room service was good. We paid over $200 a night for this place and would not recommend the hotel or the area for that matter.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank WhiteLotusBlossom
RamadaCamakila, General Manager at The Camakila Legian Bali, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear WhiteLotusBlossom,

Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to provide valuable feedback pertaining to your stay. I am very sorry to hear that our property was not to your liking. Our location, breakfast and service are the majority of our guests’ favorite features, generating most of our positive feedback.

Having said that, we aim to make all of our guests feel welcome and comfortable. Please accept my most sincere apologies for having failed in your case.

In regards to your comments about our bathrooms and linen, I am currently working with our staff and owners in order to improve in those areas.

I wish you and your family all the best in your future travels.