“A Must Stay!! Congratulations Pullman Legian”

Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“A Must Stay!! Congratulations Pullman Legian”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My Husband and I are seasoned travellers, Bali being one of our favorite destinations that we frequent at least twice every year. We have stayed in many hotels, Accor Group and others, in Asia in general/ USA/ and the United Arab Emirates etc so have experienced quite a few establishments along with their attributes and their deficiencies.

After staying at the Pullman for the 1st time early 2012 for a change we vowed we would stay again due to our first experience being fantastic (see review 19th Feb 2012). We have recently stayed again and not only was our initial experience met but by far exceeded.

I get very annoyed and find it unacceptable to read so many negative reviews about the Pullman here on trip advisor, for some reason quite a lot of people seem to make it a priority whilst on holiday to whinge and complain instead of offering constructive criticism which enables staff, management etc to be made aware of and rectify any issues. Whilst some negativity shown in reviews is about tangible things a lot however is due to the fact that some first time traveler to Bali do not understand it’s people/culture and the way Bali ‘operates’. Fact: Bali is not like the rest of world (or your home!) – there are always things that are ‘not quite right’ compared to other countries, that’s just Bali, but the people are always happy and eager to please and that’s the reason we all love to come here.

On our 1st visit to the Pullman the standard was very high, but immediately we checked in on our recent 2nd visit we became aware that the ‘bar had been raised’ dramatically. As we were advised later a new Operations Manager by the name of Luke Benbow had joined the Pullman since our 1st visit and it was extremely noticeable. Not known to us previously but having met him on a couple of occasions during our stay Luke is an extremely experienced operator, having had management roles within Accor hotels in varying countries. He has raised the level of the staff with his expectations, has his finger on the pulse of every area of the hotel at any given time, is committed to fixing issues within the hotel which he found on his arrival (such as squeaking floorboards etc) implementing new facilities and services within the hotel, and is extremely highly focused on customer service and not only delivering but exceeding his guests expectations. Luke leads by example being very hands on always out and about around the hotels and grounds, overseeing the staff and is extremely approachable.

The Staff at the Pullman are exceptional in their service and friendliness, always busy/smiling/ and very attentive. They are being very well trained even by western standards. Someone made a negative comment on trip advisor about their English – they speak very well and more importantly do try very hard, hey it’s not their mother tongue after all! They do remember you when you return, and you’re not made to feel just like a number – you are treated as a valued person.

The rooms are lovely and modern, bathrooms great with quality shampoos/soaps etc and very good air-conditioning (which believe me is a real issue in a lot of Bali hotels – what they feel is cold and we feel is cold are two different things in some places). The rooms are serviced totally each day and beds turned down at night, very good WiFi in the rooms (irrespective of a negative report made by someone recently – we run a business whilst away therefore imperative we have good internet, have never had a problem at the Pullman)

Breakfast in the Restaurant is Brilliant as is the cuisine for Dinner. Huge variety of Western & Asian food, all very fresh and great quality prepared by very good chefs.

The location is Fantastic, on the beach, close to shops and markets, and numerous restaurants in Garlic Lane, JL Melasti, JL Padma etc including the famous Sheppy’s Bar – A Must Do For Dinner and Happy Hour!

In finishing, I would like to say a big Congratulations to Luke and the Staff at the Pullman!

To the negative poster’s: How about being constructive for a change and speaking to management before posting whinges on Trip Advisor?

To prospective guests please don’t focus on the negative reports posted on Trip advisor as the majority of them are unwarranted – As far as Bali goes the Pullman Legian is by far a MUST STAY!  And we will be going back for a 3rd visit without any qualms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Bronwen C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (905)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 30, 2012

1. Welcome drink was not served consistently to all guest. I was not received while the guest beside me got the welcome drink. I observed the situation was so crowded while the staff on duty are limited.

2. Breakfast:
a) no one assist me to get the table. I was chose one table, it look unreserved. Suddenly a family came that they claim the table. I have to move to other table...
b) I was slipped due to so many fruit fall on the floor. I complaint, no quick and positive response... After second complaint, then someone came to clean the floor. I oberved the staff are not well trained and too slow serving customers
c) There were fly on salad, i informed to the staff, again no positive response...

3. My wife order birthday cake for my surprise on my birthday... The cake was delivered after we were in room... Very dissappointing.....

The good service was only car vallet service... Keep up the service..

Suggestion:
The hotel business is talking about hospitality.... Service should be put on everything....
Your service should reflect 5 star hotel quality....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Right from the booking to check-in the experience has been terrible. I dont know how the rest of the stay is going to be.

I booked Pullman in October for spending the christmas vacation paying full unrestricted tariff which allowed cancellation at any time. I got a shock when sometime in mid-december i received an email which threatened to charge my credit card for the full stay as they were overbooked. I wrote to Kristina (who wrote the email) and also to Accor Group stating i had booked unrestricted fully cancellable tariff and had paid approx 30% extra for the privilege. However they could charge my credit card if they gave me non-cancellable rate. Of course, they did not reply to this offer.

I arrived at Pullman on 29th Dec at 4 pm and was made to wait and told to go and have welcome drink in the bar. I suspected that they did not have room ready and so asked to see the front office manager. Nobody turned up for 20 minutes (all this time i was standing at the reception) so i asked for a feedback form and name of the General Manager. Promptly Mr Didi turned up and started apologising for the delay. And Mr Gudse who was atteding to me got me a room in next 2 minutes (after my waiting for 45 minutes). They gave me a room which does not match the description of the room i had booked (a 2 bedroom suite, while i got a 1 bedroom suite plus a twin room).

Then Ms Elaine, front office manager called up saying she was really sorry about the wait that i had to endure. I asked her how no one in the front office senior staff was willing to meet me when i asked to meet and was told that manager was busy in a meeting leaving poor interns/trainees to face irate customers. She tried to make up by offering a bottle of wine or free massage which i think is poor compensation for a person paying over USD 600 per night.

And then came the shocker. they state that guests will have free internet but the catch is free means limited bandwidth (reminds me of old times dialup connections) and if you want proper bandwidth you have to pay.

I dont mind paying but then it should be specified while booking. I told Ms Elaine about this and she offered to upgrade to full internet without payment. I am not sure if it is done because the speed is still slow.

Overall so far it has left a bitter taste in the mouth with the way they handled my reservations and checkin.

More after my stay gets over.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank VFMtraveller
E_c0mmerce, Manager at Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear VFMtraveller,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments, and it is with regret we read that your family did not enjoy their stay with us.

I believe we clarified when we met the issues you had upon reservation and arrival, especially as you were kept waiting to meet a Manager, and rest assured that as discussed I have clarified this issue with our Trainees to ensure that it is understood that guests are obviously are priority. I want to apologize once again for this as it does not reflect our usual standard of services.

I am sorry you felt disappointed by the layout of your two bedroom Suite which is conform to what our website promote as it states the bedding configuration is one room with king bed and one with twins, as this Suite is usually designed for family with children, which was also your case.

As for the wifi, you request for a faster access, as our Premium access with download is not complimentary the standard access, as was granted 5mn after out phone conversation, which we tried to confirm by phone, though as you did not pick up we did confirm it by a message on your interactive TV.

I overall apologize if the inconvenience you faced put a strain on your family holidays and thank you for your constructive feedback an experimented traveler.

We wish your family the best wishes for 2013.

With best regards,
Aline Marty
Executive Manager Welcomer Department
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Good location close to everything. Had the beach view which was great. Breakfast was not the best and also happy hour you had to buy two drinks to then get one free. Think it should be buy one get one free makes more sense. Rooms were clean and nice. The rooftop pool was nice but really need umbrellas.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leash13
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed at the Pullman with my two best friends for ten nights in the middle of December 2012. Prior to staying at the Pullman I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor. The reviews stated problems with the toilets, floorboards, air conditioners and construction noise. I kept my fingers crossed that all would be okay as others had reported no difficulties with the hotel.

On arrival we were provided with two interconnecting rooms (as i had requested) on the ground floor near the pool. The rooms were beautifully decorated, however the toilets over flowed when flushed, air conditioner squeaked, whinned and remained warm and the floor boards creaked extremely loudly.

We decided to make a complaint as the rooms became uninhabitable with broken toilets and no functional air conditioner. At first we were informed that nothing could be done as the hotel was at 95 % capacity, so we remained in the room. On the second day the room was unbearably hot and noisy so we asked again if anything could be done. After an hour or so in the lobby negotiating with the welcoming staff we asked to see the manager, Luke. We were greeted by Luke, who then continued to inform us that he was attempting to make arrangements to overcome these difficulties. He was extremely understanding and apologetic for the inconveniences. He stated that he was aware of the reviews the hotel has been receiving and is currently attempting to renovate/fix all the difficulties.

Eventually Luke informed us we would be upgraded to a two bedroom suite, however this room was not available for another day so we were provided with three free complimentary Balinese massages at the hotels spa.

Once upgraded and moved to our new rooms we had an extremely enjoyable stay at the Pullman. The new rooms had perfectly functional toilets, air conditioners and floor boards. The rooms were comfortable and beautifully appointed.

The hotel has beautiful grounds and pool areas that are lush, tropical and well maintained. The restaurants and bars have great food, drinks and service. A particular mention should be given to the new Sembilan Indonesian restaurant that served the most amazing authentic Indonesian food.

The travel desk was also a great attribute. Our day trips to Nusa Dua and white water rafting were booked and arranged quickly with minimal fuss.

The Pullman is centrally located. It is amidst the bustling Legian area and has the beach and variety of market shopping, restaurants and bars on its door step. It is a short taxi ride from Kuta, however is far enough away from the center of town allowing it to remain a peaceful sanctuary.

The staff and manager at the Pullman were eager to please and helpful in our initial unpleasant situation. They should be commended for their attempts to resolve the issues quickly and diplomatically.

We would defiantly staff at the Pullman again. Do not be discouraged by the bad reviews. If you are provided a room with some difficulties, attempt to remain calm and approachable with staff as they are eager to assist you and are open to room upgrades or re locations.

Rachael.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated wings and not on the ground floor (as ground floor rooms are current...